Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Okay, Jackson ran for 1,042 yards

and only 16 Running Backs had more than 1,000 while another 4 had 900+.

The question is, is 1,000 yards still the goal that it used to be?

I realize that in today's NFL where the passing game is so much more relied upon that it may be harder to get enough carries to get the yards but one need only average 62.5 yards a game to get the 1,000.

Averaging 75 yards a game will get one 1,200 yards and 93.75 will garner 1,500.

Is it time to set a loftier goal for "premiere" runners or is 1,000 yards still going to be the 'magic number?

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Okay, Jackson ran for 1,042 yards

I don't think it is, in the same capacity that 20000 yards passing over a career isn't what it used to be, either.

Jackson's production when he played this season speaks for itself, though, and had he carried his 94.73 YPG average production over a 16 game season, he would have eclipsed the 1500 yard mark on the ground. Add to this his 34.45 YPG receiving average and he purports to have over 2000 all purpose yards over 16 games, 1515 rushing and 551 receiving.

By comparison, Adrian Peterson amassed 1760 yards rushing and 125 yards receiving over a full season and Michael Turner had 1699 on the ground and just 41 yards on 6 receptions.

When healthy, Jackson's as good or better than anybody else in the league.

And the goal? i'd say as close as possible to a 5 YPC average is a better measuring stick over a number of carries in a season. over 300 carries, which is about average, that's 1500 yards rushing, and over a 10 year career, that's 15000. Over 14 seasons, Emmitt Smith had over 18000 on the ground at 4.2 YPC.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -01-03-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I think 1k yds should still be the be the initial benchmark.

In today's game I like a multi-purpose back. That said, I look at total yds from scrimage moreso than just rushing yds from scrimage. And beyond that I like the yds per touch average as the best evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I don't think it is, in the same capacity that 20000 yards passing over a career isn't what it used to be, either.

Jackson's production when he played this season speaks for itself, though, and had he carried his 94.73 YPG average production over a 16 game season, he would have eclipsed the 1500 yard mark on the ground. Add to this his 34.45 YPG receiving average and he purports to have over 2000 all purpose yards over 16 games, 1515 rushing and 551 receiving.

By comparison, Adrian Peterson amassed 1760 yards rushing and 125 yards receiving over a full season and Michael Turner had 1699 on the ground and just 41 yards on 6 receptions.

When healthy, Jackson's as good or better than anybody else in the league.
    I wasn't picking on Jackson, per se, but rather just saying that a some people think all is right in the world because Jax made 1K yards 4 straight seasons.

4/5 seasons and in only one of those 4 was he able to play in the full 16 games.

Now this is a tribute to the quality of a running back he is, that he can get 1,000 yards in only 12 or 14 games, but might it signal also that the benchmark is set too low now?

If we were to extrapolate the 86.8 yards per game average he had this year to a full 16 games it would come up to 1,388 yards. (he didn't average 94.73 rushing, BBQ)

Yes, I agree with Ferter that a all-around back is more important in today's game where Jax averaged 118.4 yards per game. Now also Ferter said
    And beyond that I like the yds per touch average as the best evaluation.
    Jax wasn't even in the top 30 in average yards per rushing attempt this year. Jax averaged 4.1 per rush and 9.5 per catch for 4.84 yards per touch from scrimmage in 2008.

I am not anti-Jackson and do not want to get rid of him in any way, I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of a conversation as to whether 1,000 yards rushing might be considered the baseline for qualifying a RB and not the benchmark these days.
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -01-03-2009 at 03:35 AM.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Just to be clear:

When I say yds per touch, i'm talking yds from scrimmage (rush & rec) by total touches (rush att & recpts)

Average yards per rush can be misleading without breaking the stat down into a certain amount of attempts to qualify. If you do 200 atts minimum (possibly as low as 100) i'd venture to say Jax was in the top 30 easily.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I wasn't picking on Jackson, per se, but rather just saying that a some people think all is right in the world because Jax made 1K yards 4 straight seasons.

4/5 seasons and in only one of those 4 was he able to play in the full 16 games.

Now this is a tribute to the quality of a running back he is, that he can get 1,000 yards in only 12 or 14 games, but might it signal also that the benchmark is set too low now?
    You're right. The benchmark is too low. 1000 yards isn't what it used to be. And I know you weren't picking on Jackson. He's an all purpose feature back... when he's healthy.

And I'd venture as far as to say that when he is healthy the level of benchmark is almost irrelevant. He surpasses it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers
    If we were to extrapolate the 86.8 yards per game average he had this year to a full 16 games it would come up to 1,388 yards. (he didn't average 94.73 rushing, BBQ)
    I didn't count the Arizona game because he was hurt and hardly played. Subtract that game and you have 11 starts and a 94.whatever average.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

It isn't...but at the same time...if you miss 4 games, it's a nice feat.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I don't see why 1000 has ever been considered anything more than a baseline for rushing. I picked a great back from the last 4 decades. All had at least 3 seasons with over 1500; OJ, Dickerson, Emmitt, and LT.

As other posters have cited, there are better yardsticks to judge a RB by. Some can't even be measured statistically such as Marshall's great blocking. Well, maybe some nerdsite somewhere has that analyzed as well but ....

BTW, I just noticed that FB/RB Lance Ball got picked up by The Colts. When will this crap stop? Kid had a pretty good outing in a game of back-ups vs Titans,too.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

He missed four games, we were down early by big margins in alot of the games before his injury, and we were forced to be one dementional. If you look at the production of the backups when he was down, nobody stepped up and shouldered the load. The evidence that this guy really makes a difference when he is on the field is there. His biggest problem is staying healthy but i'll blame his long holdout and lack of a good O-line as his achillies this year.

I'll give him his props because during the last game of the season, with nothing to play for, he gave me something to chear about. So yeah!!! for the team we watched this year, Jax's 4th consecutive1,000 yards was important to him and the fans that hung in there during this sad ugly season.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

lets also throw in how it equates to wins, is a 1000 yd rusher on a 10 win team is more valuable than a 1000 yd rusher on a 2 win team ? I guess its like a 3000 yd passer now, look how many more there are then there used to be,it seems as though a 4000 yd season is the "big" deal for QB's,so maybe 1500 yds should be the mark for RB's.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The 1,000 yard usually means a player is going to be in the top half of the league, which isn't saying that much. I tend to look at it more as a measure of consistency. If a back regularly gets 1,000+ yards per season, it means he's starting most of the games and being productive. If you get to 1,200, that's probably top ten; 1,500 puts you in the conversation for best back in the league that year.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

There's no question that the 1,000 yard mark is not what it used to be. Heck, go back and look at the 2006 numbers - nearly two dozen running backs finished over the 1k mark. It's still an accomplishment - especially if you've missed games along the way - but not as big as it used to be. Perhaps the new mark should be around 1300 or so? Over the last few seasons, hitting 1300 rushing yards for the most part means you're in the top ten of the league in rushing. The special backs can aim for 1500 or higher, certainly, but I would gauge 1300 as the new 1000.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

SJ's 1000 yard season is ok, but I would like to question his heart not his ability to show up when the Rams's need him, ie Training camp, not on the sidelines in the 4th quarter, and stop the whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's no question that the 1,000 yard mark is not what it used to be. Heck, go back and look at the 2006 numbers - nearly two dozen running backs finished over the 1k mark. It's still an accomplishment - especially if you've missed games along the way - but not as big as it used to be. Perhaps the new mark should be around 1300 or so? Over the last few seasons, hitting 1300 rushing yards for the most part means you're in the top ten of the league in rushing. The special backs can aim for 1500 or higher, certainly, but I would gauge 1300 as the new 1000.

I could go with that....

Now... as far as passing, what might be the "new 200"?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

For $44million, missing 4 games, contributed to one major victory against Dallas, the Rams are not getting their money for a meager 1000+yards.

How many yards is rather acedemic...some say 1500 yards is good or less and still others more. But its wins & losses that is the final mark that says S. Jackson is worth. Personally, if I had to assign a number I would say 800 yards rushing and 800 yards reception is a good mark, but 2 other factors go into my calculations, PRESENTS and DURIBILITY.

Presents, draws the attention of the opponents defense allowing other possitions to become successful. Jackson has Presents--pity the Rams couldn't exploit it.

Duribility, is where Jackson comes up sort in. Four games is 25% of the season! More so he had his injury issues in 07. Not sure where the issues are with regards to his health but in the off season he needs to do something different, like Yoga.

TO be fair Jackson is likely worth his $44million, given there is an O-line that can at least down hill block, or pass protect to give Bulger time to astabilish a passing game. But for now we are dealing with the realities--the Rams are 2-14, not in the play-offs--are coachless--and have a lot of unanswered questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast