throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Okay, Jackson ran for 1,042 yards

Say what you will about the 1,000 yard benchmark, but right now there are only 3 RBs in the NFL who have exceeded that number in each of the last 4 seasons: LaDanian Tomlinson, Thomas Jones and Steven Jackson.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Say what you will about the 1,000 yard benchmark, but right now there are only 3 RBs in the NFL who have exceeded that number in each of the last 4 seasons: LaDanian Tomlinson, Thomas Jones and Steven Jackson.

Oh, and we will. We WILL!

I feel what you're saying though.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

It's totally impressive to repeatedly maintain that level but I thought the original question was about rating an individual season as exceptional using that standard. So many guys do it in any given year that I don't think it is.

I think LT has actually exceeded 1000-usually by a looong way- in all EIGHT years of his career. Now that's sumthin'.

Sumthin else; the Giants had two 1000 yd rushers this season. Wonder how often that's happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    It's totally impressive to repeatedly maintain that level but I thought the original question was about rating an individual season as exceptional using that standard. So many guys do it in any given year that I don't think it is.

I think LT has actually exceeded 1000-usually by a looong way- in all EIGHT years of his career. Now that's sumthin'.

Sumthin else; the Giants had two 1000 yd rushers this season. Wonder how often that's happened?

I believe like 3 times.. starting with Csonka/Mercury Morris?

EDIT:

Acording to Wikipedia it occurred FIVE times, Csonka/Morris in 1972, Franco Harris/Rocky Bleier 1976, Kevin Mack/Ernest Byner 1985, Micheal Vick/Warrick Dunn 2006 (first QB to rush for 1K yards of course),and then Brandon Jacobs/ Derrick Ward 2008.
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -01-04-2009 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Stats for stats guys...>8)
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Thx, R&D; I knew somebody'd do the work for me if I threw that out there. Don't even know what I'm doing on here tonight after about 8 hours of football. Me brain no work good no more.

I remember that '76 Steelers team. All that locomotive power plus The Steel Curtain. Wicked scary.

A team getting 2000 yds rushing overall seems like a better indicator for success than a sole RB getting his grand. That really seems to translate into dominance and wins.

punahou is offline Registered User

I feel the benchmark for elite rbs should be the 100yd/game statistic.

In todays league, where running isnt nearly the focal point that it used to be, if you can attain 100yds/game, then you know that there is something special about either the offensive unit, or the player.

Still, IMO, most of the backs of today dont compare to the ones I grew up with

namely

Eric Dickerson
    Barry Sanders
    Earl Campbell

Others that people throw out there like

Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Ladanian, etc, just seem to run 'normal' if you can fathom my meaning.

Marshall was another good runner, but I think Marshall is a better all purpose type player, and isnt neccessarily the runner that the 1st 3 were.

Steven Jackson......

nothing on any of these players.

The 1st 3 were unique runners that I havent seen anything like since them, especially Eric Dickerson.

Again, running stats (as any stat can be) can be misleading in that teams who are generally winning a game late tend to run more thus enabling their RB to garner more yards, the reverse would hold true for QB's & WR's when behind in a game.

100 yd per game would be 1600 a season, which is pretty unrealistic but at the same time makes sense. Probably 1300 or 1400 is would allow for an 'off' game or two?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12