Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is it the OL or the receivers? Answer: yes.

Terrible O line play today. Few running lanes, and Bradford rarely had any time to throw the ball. Add to that some false start penalties, and the Rams' poor offensive showing is easy to explain.

But, before people start calling Jason Smith (who, admittedly, has a bad game today) a bust, or arguing for an OG in Round 1 of the draft, consider this...

If opposing defenses don't fear any of a team's WRs, it puts enormous pressure on the O line.

How?

Simple. Teams have figured out that they can go man to man on the Rams' WRs with little fear of a big play. This leaves 9-10 defenders to play near the line and go after the QB. Even if a team only brings pressure with 6 or 7, that's still a mismatch for the O line.

Other QBs can put a stop to that kind of stuff by hitting the long pass to their WRs. But who is stepping up in that role for the Rams?

Nobody.

So, until the Rams find some receivers who strike fear in the opposition, expect to see a lot of vanilla offense.

Its not entirely hopeless. If the Rams could have scored a couple of TDs early today (they certainly had their chances), they could have controlled this game.

But, until the Rams get some playmakers, the O line will continue to struggle, and the Rams are unlikely to catch anyone from behind.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Is it the OL or the receivers? Answer: yes.

It would help if the quarterback could hit the broadside of a barn ...

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Terrible O line play today. Few running lanes, and Bradford rarely had any time to throw the ball. Add to that some false start penalties, and the Rams' poor offensive showing is easy to explain.

But, before people start calling Jason Smith (who, admittedly, has a bad game today) a bust, or arguing for an OG in Round 1 of the draft, consider this...

If opposing defenses don't fear any of a team's WRs, it puts enormous pressure on the O line.

How?

Simple. Teams have figured out that they can go man to man on the Rams' WRs with little fear of a big play. This leaves 9-10 defenders to play near the line and go after the QB. Even if a team only brings pressure with 6 or 7, that's still a mismatch for the O line.

Other QBs can put a stop to that kind of stuff by hitting the long pass to their WRs. But who is stepping up in that role for the Rams?

Nobody.

So, until the Rams find some receivers who strike fear in the opposition, expect to see a lot of vanilla offense.

Its not entirely hopeless. If the Rams could have scored a couple of TDs early today (they certainly had their chances), they could have controlled this game.

But, until the Rams get some playmakers, the O line will continue to struggle, and the Rams are unlikely to catch anyone from behind.
    Alot of this is on SAM. If he recognizes the pressure, then he acts accordingly. Make a play happen. Sam doesn't go to his receivers until late and by that time the WRs are cold with loss of concentration, which is what happened today. On the other hand, Matt Cassel lead the charge with his inspired Play to lead the Chiefs to victory! YES , It'S the QB!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Yes, all of that.

and...

Then there's the ever growing weaker Defense.

I fear this young team has hit the proverbial wall.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I wonder how bad Greco is in pass protection.
    Golberg gets no push in the run game, not even against linebackers. Not only that but he gave up like 3 or 4 sacks this game. Golberg's a great depth guy who can play every spot, but Fraley or Greco have to be better than him.
    Laurent Robinson has also really struggled the last two games. He's making wrong reads of the defense and running wrong routes, and he dropping 50% of the balls thrown his way. It's hard to move the ball when receivers drop first downs and offensive lineman make 3rd and shorts 3rd and longs.
    This game was extremely frustrating to watch, especially after the start the Rams had.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Agree with you 100% AV.
    Now the O-line has actually played well for most of the year, but today they took a huge step backwards. I really hope this was only a bad game for the unit and that they will put it behind them and move forward.
    And no matter who the QB is, we've got to bring in some better WRs or find a way to keep our #1 WRs healthy! Clayton and Avery should both be back next year, but I still think we need a guy who is that true #1... be it through the draft, trade, or free agency.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

It's everything. Weak interior linemen, slow and mediocre talented receivers, mediocre OC, young and raw defense, aging running back, no consistency at TE...

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    I wonder how bad Greco is in pass protection.
    Golberg gets no push in the run game, not even against linebackers. Not only that but he gave up like 3 or 4 sacks this game. Golberg's a great depth guy who can play every spot, but Fraley or Greco have to be better than him.
    Laurent Robinson has also really struggled the last two games. He's making wrong reads of the defense and running wrong routes, and he dropping 50% of the balls thrown his way. It's hard to move the ball when receivers drop first downs and offensive lineman make 3rd and shorts 3rd and longs.
    This game was extremely frustrating to watch, especially after the start the Rams had.
    This.

Our OT weren't very good today, but by and large they have been fine. And they show potential. We've seen the best that Bell and Goldberg have and its not good enough.

Our WRs aren't good catchers or runners, per se (everyone see slow down his route only then drop a ball because he had to hustle to the right spot?). Gibson would be a good depth guy he could catch consistently, Clayton a pro, and Danny is smart. I'm none to impressed to the others.

Bradford had regressed a bit, but he doesn't worry me. He's a good leader and hangs in there. He'll be better next year.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    This.

Our OT weren't very good today, but by and large they have been fine. And they show potential. We've seen the best that Bell and Goldberg have and its not good enough.

Our WRs aren't good catchers or runners, per se (everyone see slow down his route only then drop a ball because he had to hustle to the right spot?). Gibson would be a good depth guy he could catch consistently, Clayton a pro, and Danny is smart. I'm none to impressed to the others.

Bradford had regressed a bit, but he doesn't worry me. He's a good leader and hangs in there. He'll be better next year.
    I agree for the most part. I do think Jason Smith really needs to make big strides in the next year though. It felt like KC was picking on him throughout the game, which is not a good feeling for a guy we picked at #2.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    It would help if the quarterback could hit the broadside of a barn ...
    Hey, he's only a rookie.

Just wait until he gets a few seasons under his belt.

By then he should be able to hit that spot on the turf right in front of the receivers legs. Just like Bulger did in his prime!

thermobee is offline Registered User

Av you are right and I completely agree with you but striking fear in defenses also comes from taking some shots downtown. I counted 4 passes that were thrown downfield and I think one of them was completed to Fells. Everything else is dumpoffs and quick out or crosses.

I dont know if its Sam or the OC but if I was on that defense I wouldnt be scared either. I read an article saying that in practice Spags has a clock that rings if Sam doesnt release the ball in 2 or 3 sec ( I am not sure the exact number) and I think thats just ridiculous. You have to have some 5 and 7 step drops in your game or theyll stack the receivers at the line of scrimmage one on one all day AND it doesnt matter who our receivers are at that point.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Has Denario Alexander been cleared to play? I know he had knee surgery several weeks ago, but he should be ready to play by now shouldn't he? Sarcasm off...

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    I read an article saying that in practice Spags has a clock that rings if Sam doesnt release the ball in 2 or 3 sec ( I am not sure the exact number)

thermobee,

it's 2.7 seconds

Have a nice day.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Bradford played poorly, our OL played poorly (particularly Smith), and our receivers played... well... like you'd expect our WRs to play.

Fortunately, overall our problems are fairly easy to correct this next offseason. If we draft a #1 WR and an OG we might actually have a potent offense next year.

Edit to add: I guess I should pay lip service to the fact that Goldberg was terrible today, but that's kind of to be expected.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -12-19-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

No matter who the Rams get via free agency or the draft, it won't matter until offensive philosophy changes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast