Thread: OLB position

39thebeast is offline Registered User

OLB position

I've already starter mock drafting and drooling at some of the college prospects. My question to all you guys is do we need an OLB maybe not a starter, but a guy who will be good in case someone goes down or a future starter. This is how i evaluate the LB positions we have

SLB- We have Chillar who will be a UFA at the end of the year. He showed flashes of greatness in the beginning and he hasn't really been that big impact guy he was at the beginning of the year. We have been patiently waiting for him to break out. Have we waited to long and should we go in another direction. Draft isnt a young guy and isnt the future. Im not sure were Culberson even plays, but we have only seen pre-season time and Ronall smith is simply not a starting option.

MLB- Spoon is clearly our best defensive player and the leader of our defense. People say he is undersized for an MLB, but he is perfect considering what we want at the LB position. My question for him is will he better at his original position and be able to give equal or better production there allowing us to get an impact natural MLB. Same problem with draft

WLB- Pisa was great the first few years of his career and was our best LB earning himself a big contract. Recently he has been hit with the injury bug and his impact has decreased. With Chillar's improvement he has become the weakest link of the LB core. Does he need to be upgraded. Same problem with draft.

Some prospects coming out are:
    Xavior Adibi- a Cato June type of LB that would fit in our system.
    Keith Rivers- an excellent LB could play all LB positions
    Dan Connor- Also can play all LB positions. One of the best tacklers in the league and a big time play maker.
    Rey Ma...- big aggressive MLB with good sideline to sideline speed possible SLB but better MLB
    Vince Hall- not extremely fast or big guy but he is a pure football player. Probably smartest MLB in the draft.
    Jasper Brinkley- Big and fast, but his great season was ended with a knee injury. His size a speed give him a broad range of projected positions in the NFL like DE, MLB, SLB
    (my personal favorite out of my team) James Lauranitis- THE BEST LB IN THE DRAFT. Side line to side line speed that reminds me of Patrick Willis but he also has cover abilities that a linebacker isn't expected to have. He has that Ray Lewis hit stick ability and unbelievable coverage ability. I'm just sad Jake long has to be our pick, I really don't think we have an option in that matter.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Re: OLB position

When it comes to defense I'd rather get it from the F.A. except DE position, and also the majority of the LB entering the 08 draft are undersized

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree with 24/7, unless there's a killer LB left to us at the top of the 2nd, we can't spend a high pick on one. I really think we need to grab a top DE to start, and then see if we can get a Tony Ugoh type guy in the 2nd, a burner for a WR(unless we finally see what Hagans can do with PT) in the 3rd, Safety in the 4th, and then maybe LB in the 5th. Chillar might not be pro bowl quality, but we need to hold on to him or upgrade through FA.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'd also suggest looking at Safety in FA as well, and not the Todd Johnson kind either, the starting kind.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I have mixed feelings about our linebackers. I'm glad that we've got enough speed to go sideline to sideline...in theory. The problem is that most of the big gains in the running game are now coming off the outside. With the defensive line finally playing pretty well, it seems like we're starting to see the vulnerability of our linebackers on occasion. Is it because they're not reading the play quickly enough? Are the blockers getting to the outside before the backers do? Or do the gains to the outside just occur when a defensive end gets caught out of position and fails to seal the edge (not naming names, but maybe he's a bit "undersized")? I really don't know.

The main thing I'm worried about with Witherspoon is whether he's going to wear down over the season. He seemed to last year. This year he has been pretty consistent so far, but I want to see how he's doing in say week 10 or week 12. Chillar hasn't shown up on the stat line that much in the past, but he has made some good plays this year. The coaches also always seem to have good things to say about him. A few years ago Tinoisamoa seemed like the only good linebacker we had, but now that we've got some more talent around, he might be the weakest link. Still, I would think linebacker is a mid-level priority. If the talent happens to match up with where we're drafting, then we might want to take another one, but there are definitely more pressing needs.

keith m. klink Guest

i still think that building our d-line , aka: CHRIS LONG type DE, and adding tough strong run blocking o-lineman is our first and formost needs with some WR - S - LB , help needed . it would be wise to bring in a young , big gun QB