Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

OLB is Priority #1 This Offseason

After years of waiting for "Pizza" Tinoisamoa to become a great LB, I am officially giving up hope. He's proven to be a injury prone non-entity on this team and he needs to be replaced. This year the Rams need to invest there 1st round pick in a OLB who can finally make some plays for us in the backfield. I know that this topic is gonna ruffle the feathers of alot of his supporters on this board but I don't see any reason to reserve hope for this guy. He's not a rookie anymore. Its time for him to start MAKING PLAYS or get him off the field.
    :l

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: OLB is Priority #1 This Offseason

I hear you loud and clear on pisa and for the most part i agree with you. aside from being very very injury prone, i dont think he is very good in coverage.

That being said, our #1 need is either an offensive tackle to replace pace (either next year or whenever he is done playing) or possibly a big time pass rushing defensive end (to replace little when he is done and probably james hall very soon).

Defensively, i think we need an impact strong safety a LOT more than a linebacker as we are pathetic at that spot.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

itsguud is offline Registered User

I can't believe you think we need any defense right now. Our Offense is the worst not only in the league this year but we've set a record for just how crap we are. We can't even score a TD... can you say wtf, cause I've been screaming it for 4 weeks now. WE NEED AN OL... actually a lot of OLmen.

I agree, that Pisa is a prayer that has not been answered, in fact I said I wanted a LB as our 1st rounder this year, in Willis. We also need an SS, a FS, CB, DE, FB, TE and WRs. All of these positions aren't currently necessary but I'd rather have the young talent in there now with leadership to help them develop then to throw them to the dogs later when we have holes.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

We need DubDub to replace Pisa at WLB and find a MLB.

AOE

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Trenches.....most specifically the O-LINE.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I can't believe you think we need any defense right now. Our Offense is the worst not only in the league this year but we've set a record for just how crap we are. We can't even score a TD... can you say wtf, cause I've been screaming it for 4 weeks now. WE NEED AN OL... actually a lot of OLmen.

I agree, that Pisa is a prayer that has not been answered, in fact I said I wanted a LB as our 1st rounder this year, in Willis. We also need an SS, a FS, CB, DE, FB, TE and WRs. All of these positions aren't currently necessary but I'd rather have the young talent in there now with leadership to help them develop then to throw them to the dogs later when we have holes.
    Injury's are the reason the Rams offense sucks. Not talent. I would definitely take a good G or C if he is there, but I don't think we should go after a T. Which is a safer bet: Pace staying healthy or us drafting someone who turns out to be as good as him. There's your answer. Barron had made some progress this year and still has the talent to become really good. Don't give up on him yet. If Bennett doesn't pan out then WR is an option, but that is a reach. Don't be so hasty to judge an offense when they have 6 starters out with injury.
    I agree that we need a new safety though, Chavious has not been playing good. It would be great to have a smash mouth safety who can cover.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I love pace but he is 32 and coming off 2 straight missed seasons from injury. Will the guy be as good as pace, a hall of famer? Not likely.

However, you cant pick a guard or a center in the top 10 picks, i dont believe it has ever been done.

I agree that our o line stinks because its been decimated by injuries. I think richie I is good, barron is fine. Can romberg and setterstrom be upgraded? Probably, but we did draft fry. To me, if you want to try and upgrade those spots, free agency is a better bet.

Thinking long term, we need a tackle on offense and a defensive end because it is won in the trenches and the two studs we have in those spots are highly suspect as to future productivity.

Bottom line is this guys. There is not one single team in the nfl that can lose 6 of its first 8 offensive linemen and be competitive. not one.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

The attitude on this forum lately seems to be that this team sucks because of a talent. We are battered by injuries and plagued by questionable coaching decisions. I think we have a talented core of players here and here is my outlook on the next 2-3 years:

Quarterbacks - We are set here for another year or two. Soon, we are going to have to draft a major prospect and let him marinate in the #3 spot. I would think we could address that in the 2009 draft.

Running Backs - No problems here. With Jackson and Leonard aboard, we have a great 1-2 bunch. The third back can continue to be journeymen, although I'd like to see an Amp Lee type pass catcher in here. Pittman adds more depth if he can develop, and could find time as the third back if he can improve his hands.

Fullbacks - We don't have a true fullback. Richard Owens looks like he could stick, but at 6-4, 270, he is not a prototypical plower out of the backfield. We need to address this immediately.

Wide Receivers - This is a pressing need. Holt and Bruce are aging and won't be around forever. Bennett is not a spring chicken and definitely not a #1 guy. Looker needs to be cut. Dante Hall needs to stick around as long as he can make plays on special teams. I think Hagans will be a mainstay for years to come, as he has a ton of tools. I also thought Derek Stanley looked great in preseason and he could be a good #3. We need to look for a big receiver, potentially a #1 type guy. Also, I hear Fitzgerald wants out of Arizona. He'd fit in well here.

Tight Ends - McMichael solidifies the position, and we have young depth in Klop and Byrd, but they don't seem to be maturing. Walker is a great blocker, but we need to look for a young, dynamic pass catching tight end who can hold his own on the edge.

Offensive Line - If healthy, we've got a good core group of guys. Setterstrom, Romberg, and Incognito looks great inside. Add Terrell for depth, and I'm happy. If Pace returns, he should be good a few more years. Barron will be a cornerstone on the left or right for many years to come. I would like to see Stuessie back a couple more years for depth. We need to add another strong Tackle and Guard to make this group tick.

Kicker - I would be surprised if Wilkins is back next year. Bring in the young fella from preseason.

Punter - We don't even need to talk about this. We had a major stud at punter.

Defensive Line - We are solid in the interior with Ryan and Carriker. I hope Wroten develops into a solid player. Little and Hall are again, and can still be effective for a couple years. Adeyanju is a decent run stuffer, but we need young stud pass rushers off the edge. Trevor Johnson looks decent. THIS IS #1 PRIORITY.

Linebackers - Witherspoon and Chillar should be the anchors here for many years. Witherspoon is a playmaker and Chillar is rapidly developing. Pisa should be delegating to a backup job. He plays hard, but can't stay healthy. Draft is a big, strong LB and is excellent against the run. We need a true MLB here, someone like Willis.

Defensive Backs - We are set of the edge for many years with Tye Hill and Ron Bartell. Fakhir is very solid and provides good experience as a starter or reserve. Wade looks magnitudes better since preseason. I don't think Walls will stick. We need some depth here, in the form of a big corner. O.J. secures the FS spot, I think he will continue to get better as a playmaker. Chavous is on the way out. I'm not sold on Johnson to fill either role other than spot duty. Jerome Carter is a good nickel/dime player. Strong safety is the #2 PRIORITY.

So, here is what we REALLY need: 1. DE, 2. SS, 3. T, 4. G

In order of all positions, here is how I see it: 1. DE, 2. SS, 3. T, 4. G, 5. WR, 6. DB, 7, QB, 8. TE

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I love pace but he is 32 and coming off 2 straight missed seasons from injury. Will the guy be as good as pace, a hall of famer? Not likely.

However, you cant pick a guard or a center in the top 10 picks, i dont believe it has ever been done.

I agree that our o line stinks because its been decimated by injuries. I think richie I is good, barron is fine. Can romberg and setterstrom be upgraded? Probably, but we did draft fry. To me, if you want to try and upgrade those spots, free agency is a better bet.

Thinking long term, we need a tackle on offense and a defensive end because it is won in the trenches and the two studs we have in those spots are highly suspect as to future productivity.

Bottom line is this guys. There is not one single team in the nfl that can lose 6 of its first 8 offensive linemen and be competitive. not one.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    From what I have seen, Setterstrom is a stud in run blocking. He lacks some against the pass, but he is fine there. I see Romberg get rag dolled occasionally. He needs to bulk up....

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    After years of waiting for "Pizza" Tinoisamoa to become a great LB, I am officially giving up hope. He's proven to be a injury prone non-entity on this team and he needs to be replaced. This year the Rams need to invest there 1st round pick in a OLB who can finally make some plays for us in the backfield. I know that this topic is gonna ruffle the feathers of alot of his supporters on this board but I don't see any reason to reserve hope for this guy. He's not a rookie anymore. Its time for him to start MAKING PLAYS or get him off the field.
    :l
    BDP, I understand your frustration with Pisa; but let's be real (if we're talking about the 'D' here) we must absolutely get a pass rusher soon or else! L. Little has no sacks at all this year and nobody is even getting close to putting pressure on the QB. With our almost assured top 3 pick this year, we cannot pick an OLB and the risk of losing out on a pass rushing DE. BTW how does it look now that we chose B. Leonard in the second round instead of one of the pass rushing ends that were still on the board?

WHAT SAY YE?

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams could easily trade down and end up with a later first round pic and two mid second round picks and be fine. Right now i'm thinking something along the lines of.

1st) Tackle
    2nd) DE
    2nd) NT (So we can move Carriker to UT.)
    3rd) Guard
    4th) CB

And go after the best linebacker in free agency.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post

I understand the feeling that Pisa isn't playing up to expectations, but we did sign him to a long extension which means he's probably not going anywhere. I agree that strong safety is a bigger priority.

Also, half our offensive linemen are injured right now. Setterstrom, Romberg, Incognito, and Barron are all pretty good starters who are nowhere near retirement. We could use another offensive tackle to replace Pace eventually.

I don't see why we need another CB. We drafted Wade in the third last year, Hill in the first the year before, and Bartell in the second the year before that. That's three corners taken on the first day in three years.

And fullback/tight end? Haven't we got enough of those! If we draft anymore of them, we'll have to start cutting quarterbacks just to make room! Oh, wait...we already did.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I don't hear anyone talking about Pisa's contract anymore. I've been saying that Pisa's time has come and past.
    Spoon is the best WLB on this team and Draft may be the best MLB. Obviously, the Rams need a pass rush 1st.

Defenses needs:

1-DE need some sort of pass rush
    2-SS Chavous is played out
    3-MLB- a real MLB, a thumper.

Somewhere in all of the legal jargon of the NFL there has to be a "you suck" clause that protects teams dumb enough to give big contracts to average players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

anyone want another DT in the first round??? we need one.... i SAY ALBERT HAYNESWORTH SHOULD BE OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY NEXT SUMMER, ALONG WITH BRINGING IN PAC MAN JONES TO MAKE IN RAIN ON GEORGIA FRONTIERE

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Let me see if I have this straight.....

.....on a team averaging less than 10 points per game (the only one in the NFL, btw), the "top priority" is to replace a 26-year-old productive LB who has missed all of 7 games in a 5 year career.....because he's injury-prone?

This 26-year-old's time has come and gone, but the future rests in a 32-year-old LB?

Seriously?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast