MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

One bright spot for me ..

One of the bright spots for me last night was watching Spags demeanor when the tv cameras spotlighted him on multiple occasions after big plays executed by the Falcons (or big screw-ups by the Rams). After a couple of years of having to watch Linehan looking clueless/helpless on the sidelines, Spags protrayed a favorable contrast IMO. The man never looked rattled. Sure he yelled at the refs a few times for perceived transgressions, (non call when a Ram receiver was mugged with no flag ensuing for one), but he certainly never appeared overwhelmed, or panicked.

The Falcons appeared the better team, and no amount of good coaching can consistently overcome a lack of talent. We simply need more talent, and it will take more than one draft and off season to acquire it. I am not terribly disappointed over our team being exposed in certain areas last night, it is to be expected that a team which went 5-27 the last two years might not set the world afire in its second preseason game under a new regime installing both a new offense and a new defense.

I can't wait for our next game, and no matter what happens scorewise, I'll still be confident our new regime is moving in the right direction, as I believe we are lightyears improved as an organization which is mandatory IMO for a complete turnaround ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: One bright spot for me ..

I see the same thing in Spags you do Maui. He is not the type of guy that is going to panic, lose control, overreact, needlessly disrepect his players or give up anything without a fight. He's the type of guy you KNOW is somehow, someway going to find a way to succeed, persevere and ultimately win. It might take a little time, but there is no doubt in my mind that Steve Spagnuolo is going to turn things around in St. Louis. Definitely a good feeling to have.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Steve Spagnuolo is going to turn things around in St. Louis. Definitely a good feeling to have.
    I 100% agree with this. I truly believe this is OUR guy and a year or two down the road, we'll have a consistent well-respected team like the Eagles and Pats.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Let me fix that for ya:

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I 100% agree with this. I truly believe this is OUR guy and a year or two down the road, we'll have a consistent well-respected team like the Eagles and Colts.
    Sorry, but I don't think the Pats are well-respected.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

So, would you say that Spags is "fiery"?

..all kidding aside, this team is still a long way away from being a contender, and it showed last night. The kids all got a taste of "humble pie", courtesy of the Atlanta Falcons and Mr. Turner.

Sometimes that "pie" is a good thing.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

..all kidding aside, this team is still a long way away from being a contender, and it showed last night. The kids all got a taste of "humble pie", courtesy of the Atlanta Falcons and Mr. Turner.

Sometimes that "pie" is a good thing.
    I'd say your sig sums it up nicely RFRH.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I'd say he has the makings of a good leader - a guy our players can believe in and give their all for. There are plenty of fiery jerks in this world, so "fiery" doesn't count for all that much by itself IMO .. Not sure what you were kidding about ..

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I 100% agree with this. I truly believe this is OUR guy and a year or two down the road, we'll have a consistent well-respected team like the Eagles and Pats.
    Varg- the Pats well respected, I know what you mean but it just sounds really bad must be because I hate them that much.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -08-22-2009 at 07:55 PM.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I'd say he has the makings of a good leader - a guy our players can believe in and give their all for. There are plenty of fiery jerks in this world, so "fiery" doesn't count for all that much by itself IMO .. Not sure what you were kidding about ..
    I think this is a very good definition of Marc Bulger

diehard99 is offline Registered User

I too like Spags but these coachs now-a-days never mention who didn't play well or call someone out even a little. Martz would always say "we're gonna have to fix that" but it didn't get fixed. If Spags can fix this he's a genius!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Coach Steve Spagnuolo's firery demeanor displayed on the Rams sideline was certainly a bright spot for me also, in a game that seem to bring back flashes of the nightmare, that was the linehan era. Spags was visibly not happy with the performance of his team, particularly with his 1st team defense on the first two series of the game.
    It was nice to see Spags (who should called the 'Little General') as he would get into the grill of a player who screwed up in the game or give the refs an earful just to let it be known of his displeasure of a call.

Spagnuolo has gotten the message out, that there's a new Sherriff in town and the lack-a-dai-si-cal ways of doing things, he will not stand for.
    No doubt the Rams will only be better for it!

Watching Spags on the sidelines you definitely know he's in charge, something seldom seen during the Linehan/Haslett regime.
    I'm sure there'll be hell to pay during Rams practice this week!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I agree Maui. Damn Spags looked fired up on the sidelines. He's the kind of coach that as players, they have respect for the guy and don't want to let him down, meaning complete effort on every play. I've been watching these preseason games and as I do, watching Spags each game, I feel better about the Rams making the right choice hiring him. Imagine if the Rams would of hired Garrett from Dallas? This team would have looked way different.

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    I agree Maui. Damn Spags looked fired up on the sidelines. He's the kind of coach that as players, they have respect for the guy and don't want to let him down, meaning complete effort on every play. I've been watching these preseason games and as I do, watching Spags each game, I feel better about the Rams making the right choice hiring him. Imagine if the Rams would of hired Garrett from Dallas? This team would have looked way different.
    If we hired Garrett, yeah we might have won !!!!!!

The dumbest move of the year award