Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This one is on the coaches

The most obvious questionable move was the decision not to take a shot at the end zone (and the win) with 7 seconds left and a time out.

The bigger mistake... how could the Rams have the lead for 3 quarters, and yet only 17 handoffs to Jackson are called? Jackson had a slow start, but was starting to break runs in the middle of the game. How do you not stick with that and run more clock?

It would be easy to blame the defense, but they simply should not have been on the field as much as they were.

Ugh!

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: This one is on the coaches

This one REALLY hurts. I want Shurmur run out of town. He is the WORST playcaller I have ever seen.

That's not hyperbole. I really think he is

JFMose is offline Registered User

i like the call to go for the FG.

Anything can happen in seven seconds, i'd prefer taking the safe route.

Where's Mike Martz?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

And the lame, conservative plays called by Pat Shurmur. I mean, seriously? It's 3rd and 10, you obviously do not call a play where you only gain 4 yards. And on the 3rd and 2s, we have Jackson and Karney. You absolutely pound it in. You don't try your chances by passing it to a scrub like Tim Carter.

Heartbreaker.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I was neither surprised with nor upset by the lack of going for it with 7 seconds left. That's not Spag's style as a coach and it was a choice where he would have been criticized either way. If the shot is taken, but instead of getting the endzone the guy gets stopped in the middle of the field with 0 seconds left...it's "oh the coaches called a bad game. Boo hiss."

He took the safe bet, went to overtime and unfortunately lost the coin toss. The defense was exhausted by then.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

what is more embarrassing, how can you not stop them on two subsequent drives
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Its not just shurmer it's Spags also. It starts at the top people not at the bottom. It was Spags choice to go for it or not. You can't use the we don't have talent any longer. We have a great running back and a decent QB. These are NFL players, and they play the plays the coaches call. All coaches make mistakes, but unfortunately for Spags he showed he has no faith in the offense or the running game.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Offense lost us the game no doubt. And ya I could not believe we didn't take a shot at the win while we were in the red zone. This game was ours, the defense stepped up big time and bailed us out more than once. Laurinitis picked it off in the red zone, Leonard Little took one back to the house, and we forced a fumble on Jones-Drew. Offense had about four straight three-and-outs. Horrible performance and I wouldn't be surprised if we went 0-16. If we don't beat the lions, then we will definatly be winless.

I don't mind the call with 7 seconds left. I don't like the playcalling the entire game up to that point

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Decision not to go for it with seven seconds left wasn't horrible, IMO. Not great, but not horrible. The previous play (2nd & Goal from the nine) took eight seconds. If they call run, the Jags prop up Jackson to waste time. If they call pass, it's basically one read or throw away. They tried a shot with 15 seconds to go, not risking it with 7 I wasn't irate about.

The coaching issue that I was frustrated with, though, was the offensive playcalling. I agree with what some said in the chat; it seemed like after losing Avery and after the deep interception, Shurmur threw out any pass play that was over 7-8 yards. You've got to be able to stretch defenses out at least a little bit more than that. Slants, quick hits, etc just aren't going to do enough. I understand it's tough to do a lot when you're forced to play guys you picked up off the street during the season at receiver, but the playcalling was way too conservative after the first two drives, IMO.

Defensively, I thought the unit played pretty well overall. Clearly they were gassed at the end of the game, hard to blame them for not making a stop. Four pass interference penalties, yuck. But also three turnovers and a pick six by Little, I believe, so hard to put much blame on the defense. Still, you'd like to see someone come up with a stop in overtime, and there were a couple of missed turnover opportunities during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    what is more embarrassing, how can you not stop them on two subsequent drives
    Stop right there. Our D played their hearts out and gave this pathetic offense plenty of opportunities to score.

Before that last drive that tied it, our longest drive of the second half was 1:58. That's right...1:58

Our defense was on the field the entire 2nd half. They were EXHAUSTED.

JFMose is offline Registered User

We need WRs badly.

Avery is not good enough.

eldfan is offline Registered User

7 seconds a time out we should have taken one more shot.
    :ramlogo:

dgr828 is offline Registered User

How bout the refs with some very questionable calls today? Alot of it should be on them too! (Laurenaitis PI, Torry Holt sideline catch)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramfan247 is offline Registered User

The most devastating aspects of this game were the calls to throw the ball to carter on 3rd down TWICE and also Bulgers consistent bad throws. Fells could have had two first downs but he had to go back for the ball both times. BAD THROWS! Fells made a couple of great catches but could you imagine the difference that Bulger throwing a decent pass would have made. Plus Fells and McMichael were open downfield several times and Bulger didn't even look their way. So frustrating. I'm not a huge Boller fan but I'd take Boller over this Bulger any day. Serious heartbreaker...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast