Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: One draft trade off to remember this year as it progresses

vanillasue is offline Registered User

One draft trade off to remember this year as it progresses

We could have traded down with the first pick and got WR DeAndre Hopkins and kept our original 2nd round pick and got another late 2nd or 3rd round pick. My real concern this year is OL depth and QB depth.

We could have drafted one or 2 of Terron Armstead, Larry Warford, Brian Winters, Dallas Thompson, Hugh Thornton, Brennan Williams to shore up the OL and still got our 1st round WR.

Tavon could make me look like a fool for writing this and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    Last edited by vanillasue; -08-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: One draft trade off to remember this year as it progresses

Hindsight.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    We could have traded down with the first pick and got WR DeAndre Hopkins and kept our original 2nd round pick and got another late 2nd or 3rd round pick. My real concern this year is OL depth and QB depth.

We could have drafted one or 2 of Terron Armstead, Larry Warford, Brian Winters, Dallas Thompson, Hugh Thornton, Brennan Williams to shore up the OL and still got our 1st round WR.

Tavon could make me look like a fool for writing this and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    I think he already has.
    Bar-bq and Torry Holt like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    I agree, Austin even if he turns out to be just a 3rd receiver and punt returner changes games with his speed, tenacity, and excitement for the game. The rams are lucky to have him

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Hindsight.
    Actually, it was foresight, as I recommended this before the draft. Like I said though, with Tavon's performance last night, I could look like a fool here at the end of the season. We shall see. However, if Bradford goes down due to injury due to lack of protection I could look like a genius.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Actually, it was foresight, as I recommended this before the draft. Like I said though, with Tavon's performance last night, I could look like a fool here at the end of the season. We shall see. However, if Bradford goes down due to injury due to lack of protection I could look like a genius.
    I think there are about 30 other teams in the NFL who are thinking the same thing about their starting QB.
    laram0 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

However, if Bradford goes down due to injury due to lack of protection I could look like a genius.
    To who, yourself? Every fan knows they have problems with depth on the O line...and have for years. They were in desperate need of a game changing offensive weapon, as well. They did what they had to do.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So, in the time since April when you last made this argument, have you come across any information about a team picking between 16 and 27 being interested in moving into the mid-teens?

If not, then the suggestion that the Rams could have done this is no more realistic than any other completely hypothetical trade any of us could dream up. Just because something isn't completely impossible doesn't mean it was a realistic alternative.

It's easy to suggest we should have traded down, but without any credible source suggesting that a team in that range wanted to move up into the teens and was willing to compensate well to do so, then it's just a fantasy scenario.
    HUbison, laram0, Rammed and 1 others like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I wanted Hopkins too! I still would love to see him in a Rams uniform. Nuk was my top guy and I was lobbying for him all off-season. With that being said, it's over now. He's in Houston and looked damn good in his first pre-season game. Let's get back to this at the end of the year.

THE DREAM TEAM

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

To be a successful HC, first build an O-line (something M. Martz ought to have kept in mind); second, find an affective QB, elite if possible, (something B. Billick of the Ravens failed to do); third, D-line has to be solid and consistent. From there its a matter finding the right pieces and chemistry. Problem with the Rams prior to preseason was 1/3 of the offensive play makers moved to other teams! I hope the Rams offense can move the ball and burn time off the clock since I think the Rams defense will be spending a lot of time on the field

berg8309 is offline Registered User

However, if Bradford goes down due to injury due to lack of protection I could look like a genius.
    This makes it seem like you want him to be hurt so you can pretend to have predicted something and act smart about it. Too many variables and unknowns, you can't claim credit if the lack of o-line depth hurts us. Also, it's not exactly news to anyone, it's not like it's something that was unknown.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The player who will likely be starting at OG (along with Harvey Dahl) is a player who, at this time during his rookie year, was a first round draft choice who was expected to be a long-term starter at OT.

The point is... its waaaaaay too early for hindsight.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Let me get this straight. It's Jeff Fischer's second draft with the Rams and people are complaining he hasn't acquired enough DEPTH??????? 2 years ago they needed 8 starters and now people are complaining about a lack of depth.

My how things have changed.
    HUbison and laram0 like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

O-line and QB depth are common issues in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Let me get this straight. It's Jeff Fischer's second draft with the Rams and people are complaining he hasn't acquired enough DEPTH??????? 2 years ago they needed 8 starters and now people are complaining about a lack of depth.

My how things have changed.

I am not complaining - I am just saying it was a trade off that can be analyzed later on. There were 5 trades made in the first found so it would have been easy to do - even if it had to be in division. Rams got the dynamic and explosive offensive player they so desired so we shall see. I was oooingg and ahhhing on that Austin punt return so don't assume I am unhappy about the picks they did make.

With all that said, I was hoping that this year Bradford would not be running for his life. You can see how deadly he is once he gets time to throw.

I'm old school type that believes in building a team by building the OL and DL first and foremost.

Two more stud offensive lineman drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round to go with DeAndre Hopkins is interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by vanillasue; -08-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast