Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: One draft trade off to remember this year as it progresses

Randart is online now Registered User

Re: One draft trade off to remember this year as it progresses

A point of note I heard Hopkins is already injured... I really like him too hope it is not too serious. I think the Texicans are going to really need him to help free up Andre on the other side of the field. So our draft looks a bit better in this light eh?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    I am not complaining - I am just saying it was a trade off that can be analyzed later on. There were 5 trades made in the first found so it would have been easy to do - even if it had to be in division.
    It would have been easy to do? That's a pretty dismissive off-the-cuff comment that says I'm right but I don't have to prove it, just accept it. How was that easy to do? As Nick asked, what teams were looking to deal up into our space, and would give what you wanted? And in division trading wouldn't have worked at all. I highly doubt the ***** would have given us a premium pick, they didn't even give a second to move up from 31 to 18. And Hopkins was gone by 31. Also the Seahawks traded their first rounder for Harvin, so how was that supposed to work?

You're just drawing wild assumptions out of the air then claiming they are right without any proof.

I'm old school type that believes in building a team by building the OL and DL first and foremost.
    I don't think anyone argues with that, but at the same time no matter how great the line, you can only protect the QB for so long before he gets hit. At some point you need a receiver to get open. Also, your complaint seems to be that the backups aren't good enough. How was spending early draft picks on backups supposed to make the starters better?

Two more stud offensive lineman drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round to go with DeAndre Hopkins is interesting to say the least.
    Who says they'd be studs? There are so many failed linemen. Look at Jason Smith, and the lineup of mid-round guards that have passed through here. I remember when we were supposed to have Saffold and Smith and our tackle positions were supposed to be set for a decade, and now look. Nothing is certain. In fact, out of all the names you put up, only a couple will probably have long NFL careers. It's just the way it works.

Also, what if the Rams dealt back, the Texans saw it, and jumped up in front of them to grab Hopkins? Your scenario is just far too speculative to be anything you can hang your hat on and say "I told you so."
    MauiRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    There were 5 trades made in the first found so it would have been easy to do - even if it had to be in division.
    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    It would have been easy to do? That's a pretty dismissive off-the-cuff comment that says I'm right but I don't have to prove it, just accept it. How was that easy to do? As Nick asked, what teams were looking to deal up into our space, and would give what you wanted? And in division trading wouldn't have worked at all. I highly doubt the ***** would have given us a premium pick, they didn't even give a second to move up from 31 to 18. And Hopkins was gone by 31. Also the Seahawks traded their first rounder for Harvin, so how was that supposed to work?

You're just drawing wild assumptions out of the air then claiming they are right without any proof.

If someone wants to make an argument in Hopkins' favor, then the case to be made is for the Rams staying put @ 16 and drafting Hopkins there, then having their original second rounder to spend on another position. That's at least a realistic alternative suggestion, because it isn't dependent on a complete fantasy trade scenario that has no proof or information supporting it.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    It would have been easy to do? That's a pretty dismissive off-the-cuff comment that says I'm right but I don't have to prove it, just accept it. How was that easy to do? As Nick asked, what teams were looking to deal up into our space, and would give what you wanted? And in division trading wouldn't have worked at all. I highly doubt the ***** would have given us a premium pick, they didn't even give a second to move up from 31 to 18. And Hopkins was gone by 31.
    Let's just say that Les Snead has shown an ability over the years to make trades both up and down and I have all the confidence in the world he would have made this one if this is the direction they chose to go. I guess you and I can agree to disagree which is quite all right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12