Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: One Fan's Prediction: Rams 13 - Eagles 31

This must be the trough of the wave. Like in '99, the breakout has to start somewhere.

Find something to believe in and hang on.

Kiss my ass, football gods

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I'm generally more pessimistic than I am optimistic- not just about the Rams, but life in general. The way I see it, if you set your sights low and your goals aren't acheived, you have less distance to fall. On the other hand, if you set your sights low and your goals are surpassed, it's like an incredibly pleasant surprise. Now, I can't speak for everyone on here, but I'm going to guess that the people that are considered negative on this board don't want to see the Rams lose any more than I do. They just tend to take a more realistic and cautious approach to things. It's not a measure of fanhood, it's just a personality trait like anything else. I've been a fan of the Rams and only the Rams since I played Pop Warner football as a kid in the early 80s (yes, I'm dating myself and I was on the Rams), and between then and now, there have been plenty of bad teams. As you can tell, I'm still a fan- my criticism of the team hasn't effected that at all. I think a perfect example of how thinking too positively about something has had the reverse effect on me is the hiring of Jim Haslett. I really expected this guy to run a completely different type of defense and was really excited when we hired him. Unfortunately, he has disappointed me greatly and I think my high expectations of him, coupled with that disappointment has caused me to be more critical of him than I would if he had been one of Linny's friends from Miami.

Do I want the Rams to beat the Eagles? Of course I do. One because I'm a fan of the team and two because if they lose, my office will be covered in a ton of Eagles propoganda courtesy of the hundreds of obnoxious Eagle fans I work with.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I'm generally more pessimistic than I am optimistic- not just about the Rams, but life in general. The way I see it, if you set your sights low and your goals aren't acheived, you have less distance to fall. On the other hand, if you set your sights low and your goals are surpassed, it's like an incredibly pleasant surprise. Now, I can't speak for everyone on here, but I'm going to guess that the people that are considered negative on this board don't want to see the Rams lose any more than I do. They just tend to take a more realistic and cautious approach to things. It's not a measure of fanhood, it's just a personality trait like anything else. I've been a fan of the Rams and only the Rams since I played Pop Warner football as a kid in the early 80s (yes, I'm dating myself and I was on the Rams), and between then and now, there have been plenty of bad teams. As you can tell, I'm still a fan- my criticism of the team hasn't effected that at all. I think a perfect example of how thinking too positively about something has had the reverse effect on me is the hiring of Jim Haslett. I really expected this guy to run a completely different type of defense and was really excited when we hired him. Unfortunately, he has disappointed me greatly and I think my high expectations of him, coupled with that disappointment has caused me to be more critical of him than I would if he had been one of Linny's friends from Miami.

Do I want the Rams to beat the Eagles? Of course I do. One because I'm a fan of the team and two because if they lose, my office will be covered in a ton of Eagles propoganda courtesy of the hundreds of obnoxious Eagle fans I work with.
    You took the really fat chick with the wooden leg to the prom, didn't you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

btimsah Guest

Okay, after reading through 4 pages of this I see some can't believe me for posting such a score. While it is high, I always believe that if you really think a team is going to lose - Predict them to lose by a lot, because when I make these predictions I always go a little too low.

(Especially if their on the road and have Linehan as their coach.. lol)

31 points is low, when you consider we very well could give up a touchdown on special teams. Let me say that again - THIS SCORE COULD BE LOW. As Moloch said in a previous post. I am setting my sights and expectations very low. How many weeks did it take for us to realize last season that our season was over after game 3? A lot of Ram fans did not want to admit it. We'll I'm just getting that started extra-early.

We have one of the worst secondary's in football and I believe the worst coach in football. Also, have any of you looked at the Eagles secondary? They have 3 pro bowlers. THREE DAMN PROBOWLERS in the secondary. Our guys can't even spell that word.

The reason I bring this secondary up, is because of Jim Johnson. Johnson runs an extremely aggressive scheme that relys on a lot of one-on-one coverage and they just happen to have two great corners who can smother our wr's. Plus, throw in Dawkins at free safety. Now, from that I can see were gonna struggle to run the ball as they crowd the line and our WR's will have a hard time getting open versus their stellar DB's.

In short, the Eagles have everything we don't. Their well coached, Have a great defensive coordinator and have upgraded their secondary to an extent that should allow them to seriously bring the heat.

Bulger might be on his back a lot.

I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    You took the really fat chick with the wooden leg to the prom, didn't you?
    Nah, I didn't go to my prom- I knew they wouldn't be playing any Slayer.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41
    Now, I can't speak for everyone on here, but I'm going to guess that the people that are considered negative on this board don't want to see the Rams lose any more than I do. They just tend to take a more realistic and cautious approach to things. It's not a measure of fanhood, it's just a personality trait like anything else.

The only problem with this is that there are plenty of people here including myself who are generally positive and still completely realistic when it comes to the Rams. I know you aren't speaking for everyone as you said but people don't have to be negative to be realistic. Positive people can be and are realistic here also.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    [/size][/font]

The only problem with this is that there are plenty of people here including myself who are generally positive and still completely realistic when it comes to the Rams. I know you aren't speaking for everyone as you said but people don't have to be negative to be realistic. Positive people can be and are realistic here also.
    Well, I know myself and others were often yelled at for being negative last season, but the 3-13 record seemed to back us...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I hope I'm wrong.
    No, I don't think you do. In fact, given the tone of your posts in general, I think you are hoping you are right.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Nah, I didn't go to my prom- I knew they wouldn't be playing any Slayer.
    Those MASKING MASKtards probably played ABBA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Rams 13 - Eagles 31

Well, I know myself and others were often yelled at for being negative last season, but the 3-13 record seemed to back us...
    You're missing my point. My point is there is a middle ground while still being realistic. Just because someone is negative doesn't make them any more realistic than the positive person which you said in your last post "You guess that the negative people take a more realistic and cautious approach." By no means are the positive people that I know here unrealistic whatsoever. So generalizing that the negative people are more realistic than the positive people is my issue with your post.

Personally I wish the whole board would just deal in realism period, but there is no chance of that here or anywhere on the internet.

A person who says the sky is falling and it's all on Linehan isn't being realistic, just as the person who says it was all because of injuries last year isn't being realistic either. I criticized plenty of things last year. I also see that some of it had to do with injuries and other factors. There is a middle ground of realism.

Do I think it's all doom and gloom, no. Do I think we are the 99 Rams, no. Both sides who think that aren't being realistic. Right now nobody knows very much because nobody has seen much yet. Last year is over, 3-13 is done. It's a new season, everybody is 0-0. The NFC is wide open. Let's see what happens before it's all doom and gloom, or the next coming of the 99 Rams.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

The whole thing behind this team perhaps being the '99 Rams is preposterous. You know why? Before that season, no one saw it coming. No one in their right mind could have seen a #1 seeded team headlined with an MVP and a Superbowl run for the ages. With Kurt Warner at the helm, it was basically "hold the fort" and we'll see. This year, people are getting the expectation of going to the playoffs and winning the division, unlike what was the case in '99 because it was not our division to defend and we hadn't beaten the ***** in a decade. That is why these comparisons to '99 are absolutely dumbfounded.

I'll list how we can win this game:

1. Contain Westbrook. Arguably the best dual-threat back in the NFL, Westbrook has taken over Faulk's role of being lethal with the ball both running and catching. If we can manage to overwhelm him a couple of times we could shake him. Holding him to small gains and allowing no big plays from him will yield great results for the team's morale.

2. Al Saunders. His two years spent in Washington gave him first hand experience at what Jim Johnson tries to do to disrupt an offense. Al definitely has a set of plays to call in order to counteract his heavy blitzes and aggressive corners. He should know when Bulger needs to get the ball out of his hands quickly and when to take his shots. This experience should help the offense run smoothly and surprise the defense quite a bit.

3. Get pressure on Donovan. Giving him time to sit back in the pocket is one of the worst things you can do. Given he's healthy, he is arguably a top 5 QB in the NFL. Even with the batch of WRs he has, he has proven that he can get the job done. And now having had a full year to recover and work through his leg injury, he feels confident he can be the same old D-Mac. Getting pressure on him with Little, Carriker, and Long will be crucial because it will disrupt his timing as well as making him scamble and causing ill-advised throws.

And last but not least, we must come together on special teams. DeSean Jackson can easily break the game wide open with a return and wave at us while he glides in for a score. Our coverage is going to have to do a great job because there is no problem with Donnie Jones (one of the top in the league), we just need to control the returns and limit them. In the preseason we really struggled in that area once again, and with another FOSL overlooking them, who's to blame?

I have a friend who's an Eagles fan so I am eagerly anticipating this game and there is a very realistic chance we could win, but also a realistic one that says we can lose by a wide margin. We just need to come with our best game, avoid injuries and execute and we will have a great chance of getting an upset.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -09-01-2008 at 12:59 AM.

blood85 is offline Registered User

What's the matter with you people?? It's barely the 31 of Aug and your already "mailing it in"....we are going to win.Period. What only Philly has good players? They are very beatable. So they have Westbrook and Mcnabb? And??? We have Jackson and Holt .Come on guys, suck it up, we will win.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Let them blitz, we'll run a screen to Jax or a draw...even a quick slant to holt....let them...

btimsah Guest

Re: Rams 13 - Eagles 31

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    You're missing my point. My point is there is a middle ground while still being realistic. Just because someone is negative doesn't make them any more realistic than the positive person which you said in your last post "You guess that the negative people take a more realistic and cautious approach." By no means are the positive people that I know here unrealistic whatsoever. So generalizing that the negative people are more realistic than the positive people is my issue with your post.

Personally I wish the whole board would just deal in realism period, but there is no chance of that here or anywhere on the internet.

A person who says the sky is falling and it's all on Linehan isn't being realistic, just as the person who says it was all because of injuries last year isn't being realistic either. I criticized plenty of things last year. I also see that some of it had to do with injuries and other factors. There is a middle ground of realism.

Do I think it's all doom and gloom, no. Do I think we are the 99 Rams, no. Both sides who think that aren't being realistic. Right now nobody knows very much because nobody has seen much yet. Last year is over, 3-13 is done. It's a new season, everybody is 0-0. The NFC is wide open. Let's see what happens before it's all doom and gloom, or the next coming of the 99 Rams.
    I predict doom and gloom for the upcomming season. Unfortunately! I just did not see this team do anything to fix big weaknesses. Getting Ricky Manning is nice, but could somone please tell me why we get Ricky Manning, BUT DON'T DO WHAT IT TAKES TO GET LITO SHEPHARD? Anyone? Bueller? Beuller?

This front office/coaching staff drives me crazy with their non-moves. Shaun Rodgers goes to cleveland. Asante Samuel goes to Phylly. There is this general sense that this team is somehow "set" at positions in which we actually "suck". I have not seen that change in any way shape or form, so unfortunately I see a horrible openning game.

However, if we beat the Eagles, nobody would be happier. Hell, I'll probably get NFL sunday ticket for almost $400... Would I really do that if I did not want us to win!

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

A 31-13 loss? This based on the the Eagles ability to do what? And our inability to what?
    Mcnabb isnt the same and Westbrook? thats haslettes greatest challenge. Their D has question marks like ours does.

Bulger, Jax, Holt, Pace, the young receivers from the draft and oh i think we kinda under used Mr. looker . We'll most definitely give that D some fits with this unit and I'm sure Jax will be happy to take some birds for a ride. Our D?..... I've got some evidence that our 1st team can play and oh! last i heard they're playing against the eagles. Not the 2nd team, or the 3rd team. My prediction, Rams 31-10 with the surprise factor on our side.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast