Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By sjacksonrules
  • 3 Post By SportsDude
  • 2 Post By Fettmaster

Thread: One last and final THANKS to DeSpags.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

One last and final THANKS to DeSpags.

Now I know very well that Spags and Devaney are not very well liked by the majority of Rams fans anymore. They, ofcourse, left on a very sour note and left behind a team with a solid core but more holes than Tiger could work with.

If theres something we can appreciate about the two, its the drafting of Sam Bradford. While he did have quite the sophomore slump, he proved in his rookie year hes the real deal.

On to the main point in my thread. Jeff Fisher has stated that Sam is the reason he came here. Without him, I believe Fisher takes the job in Miami and were stuck with another coordinator as head coach. Its so hard to predict how that will turn out. It hasnt worked for us in the past.

Fisher is far and away the main reason I have so much hope in this team. I think we can atleast give a little bit of credit to DeSpags for drafting the franchise quarterback that Fisher wanted so badly with his new team.

I dont knowif ifs just me, but people guessing around four wins need to rethink their assessment.

I think we cab forgot ab the Rams of the last half of the last decade, and realize this is brand new team that will bring a brand new winning attitude.

Idk, maybe im just "drinkin the koolaid", but I feel like FishSnead is the answer and we will find ways to win.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: One last and final THANKS to DeSpags.

Not sure i would give much credit to despags on drafting bradford. Helen Keller could have made that pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Not sure i would give much credit to despags on drafting bradford. Helen Keller could have made that pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Not exactly, they could have just as easily taken Suh.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Most coaches know the value of a franchise quarterback versus the value of a defensive tackle. I bet the choice wasn't as hard as you may think.

Just because they drafted Bradford doesn't mean we have to continue to "say thanks".

As a matter of fact, drafting Bradford was just the first part. Now he has to succeed. And I'll say this, I definitely believe Fisher can get Bradford to succeed better than the weasel spags ever could.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I forget the chronology, what would have been their option, keeping Bulger; or was he gone already?
    "The horror"

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    I forget the chronology, what would have been their option, keeping Bulger; or was he gone already?
    Bulger went on IR at the end of 09 and thats when we had the number 1 draft pick. So bulger asked to be released a little before the draft.
    live4ramin likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yes, Helen Keller could have picked Bradford, but at the same time, they were the ones who picked up Laurinaitis, Quinn, Dahl, Mikell, Stewart, Amendola, as well as Kendricks, Saffold, Fletcher and Murphy. They did build up a core of players who can succeed. I just don't think that offensively, we were ready last year and injuries destroyed our chances on defense.

I think they did more right than wrong, but fate is not always kind.
    I believe!

SportsDude is offline Registered User

Guys all credit should be given to Scott Linehan for missing every single draft pick to put us in the position to get Sam Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

Suh was a fantastic prospect. There was no way in the world that he was getting taken over a franchise qb. What the rams could have done was traded the pick to washington or another team that wanted to move up to take bradford. Thus, i give spags no crediting for making what was a no brainer pick, the best guy at the most critical position and a critical position of need.
    Laurianitis on the other hand was a great pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yes, Helen Keller could have picked Bradford, but at the same time, they were the ones who picked up Laurinaitis, Quinn, Dahl, Mikell, Stewart, Amendola, as well as Kendricks, Saffold, Fletcher and Murphy. They did build up a core of players who can succeed. I just don't think that offensively, we were ready last year and injuries destroyed our chances on defense.

I think they did more right than wrong, but fate is not always kind.
    Some of those players listed still have a lot to prove.

I think one reason some fans continue to be fond of spags and Billy is because they were semi-competent when compared to the buffoons we had running the show for so long. Spags and Billy were able to find a few starters while the previous GM couldn't find any, so they must have known what they were doing. But they didn't. Look at what happened last year, for example. They added a bunch of other team's old backups to be our starters. They received input on who to draft from a guy that had very little success in drafting. And apparently, spags was more concerned with who at Rams park should be fired instead of coaching up his first-round pick, Robert Quinn. Yeah, Quinn was riding the pine, and spags was worried about the skyhook guy.

How anyone can say someone who went 10-38 during his tenure did "more good than bad" is just depressing. Is our fanbase really that used to losing?

Please guys, let these "kumbaya spags happy time" threads go away. Its over. I'd much rather read "Jeff Fisher: man's man who knows what he's doing" type threads.
    live4ramin and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The Rams have been beset with a host of issues--ownership being one of them. Just need too look at the Steelers, Giants, or Patriots ownership who demanded success. The Rams had part time owners to be honest; more interested in everything else non-football. If J. Jones of the Cowboys had the good sense to let real football experts take charge, the Cowboys might have a shot at another SB.

Now the Rams ownership is solved--and the firing of "DeSpags" shows ownership takes serious the Rams. Further the Rams didn't get Fisher cheap--that's very encouraging. Its been a long dry spell for Ram fans to get their hopes up over.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Some of those players listed still have a lot to prove.

I think one reason some fans continue to be fond of spags and Billy is because they were semi-competent when compared to the buffoons we had running the show for so long. Spags and Billy were able to find a few starters while the previous GM couldn't find any, so they must have known what they were doing. But they didn't. Look at what happened last year, for example. They added a bunch of other team's old backups to be our starters. They received input on who to draft from a guy that had very little success in drafting. And apparently, spags was more concerned with who at Rams park should be fired instead of coaching up his first-round pick, Robert Quinn. Yeah, Quinn was riding the pine, and spags was worried about the skyhook guy.

How anyone can say someone who went 10-38 during his tenure did "more good than bad" is just depressing. Is our fanbase really that used to losing?

Please guys, let these "kumbaya spags happy time" threads go away. Its over. I'd much rather read "Jeff Fisher: man's man who knows what he's doing" type threads.
    Your bitterness towards the DeSpags regime is quite disturbing, it's as if you hate them more than Georgia Frontierre. Difference between DeSpags and Zygmunt era was that DeSpags tried to keep our heads above the water while Zygmunt had no clue how to plug the holes.

And yet, no one was complaining about ziggy, shaw and charley when they built the gsot.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Jason Smith
    James Laurinaitis
    Bradley Fletcher
    Darell Scott

Sam Bradford
    Rodger Saffold
    Jerome Murphy
    Michael Hoomanawanui
    Euegene Sims

Robert Quinn
    Lance Kendricks

Austin Pettis
    Greg Salas

In three drafts thats 13 players on the roster, and 6 starters. That's not really good enough to be honest.