ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

One-on-One with Dustin Fry

One-on-One with Dustin Fry
    Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dustin Fry has more than football on his mind these days. The former Summerville and Clemson football standout has been busy preparing for a May 10 wedding to his fiancée, Laura. Fry, who recently completed his rookie season as an offensive lineman with the St. Louis Rams, took a few minutes to go One-on-One with The Post and Courier's Larry Williams:

So what have you been up to since your season ended?

"Our last game was at Arizona on Dec. 30. I drove from St. Louis to Nashville and met Roman Fry and his fiancée for New Year's Eve. Came back to Clemson after that and have been kind of hanging out. Went to Charleston twice. I'm getting my suit tailored at Brooks Brothers on King Street. We turned it into a mini-vacation and went two weeks in a row."

Where did you stay in Charleston? Favorite restaurants?

"The first time we stayed at the HarbourView Inn. The other time at the French Quarter Inn. We had one of the best dinners we've ever had at Charleston Grill. They put us right in front of a jazz quartet or quintet or whatever they are. Good little band. Their sommelier was there and he picked us out some nice wines. For sushi we go to Wasabi. There are so many great restaurants down there; it's unbelievable. Can't go wrong with too many of them."

So was your first year in the NFL a pretty cool experience?

"It was nice. I got activated pretty early and got to be on the active roster the whole second half of the season. At practice on a Monday morning right after the bye week, the offensive line coach told me he was going to activate me. I got a big pay raise and just felt more a part of the team. I dressed for seven of the last eight games. I only played on field goals and extra points, though."

How much were you able to follow Clemson?

"Watched them a lot the first part of the year when I wasn't traveling. I'd watch games on TV or order them. Me and Tye Hill (former Clemson cornerback from St. George) would always talk trash to the other players and take their money. I'm just glad there were no Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech players on our team. The day Clemson played Florida State, Tye wore his Clemson jersey."

What do you make of the Tigers coming so close to the ACC title game but falling short yet again?

"It (stinks). I know how it is. But sooner or later the ball's gonna bounce their way. They were closer than ever with that Boston College game. It always goes back to something early on in the season that holds them back. Or early in a game. Messing up on a certain drive or missing a kick. But I think with the people they're bringing in with this recruiting class, they're on up and up."

Your fiancée went to South Carolina. Any potential strife there?

"She doesn't like the Gamecocks. She just got her education there. Her major was art education, and they didn't offer it at Clemson. The only South Carolina games she went to in four years were South Carolina-Clemson. She was always going to Clemson games if she could."

How did you propose?

"Did it in the preseason. She was in St. Louis for a couple of days. We went to one of our favorite restaurants, a tappas bar. Not a topless bar, a tappas bar. It's called Barcelona's. The place was unbelievably packed, with no room to move or anything. I wasn't able to get on one knee. If I would have done that, I'd have backed off the entire restaurant."

Is Widespread Panic still your favorite band?

"Yes, definitely. I listen to a lot of things. Widespread, Dave Matthews, Allman Brothers. Been listening to a lot of Allman Brothers lately."

Last show?

"The last time Widespread came to Clemson, in 2005 at Littlejohn. I used to do a lot of traveling over the summers to see shows, but I don't have as much time anymore."

What former Clemson guys are you closest to?

"I'm pretty close with Zach Green. Roman and I are friends, but we don't talk every day. Tim DeBeer is a good friend. He and Will Proctor and I are meeting in Las Vegas for Super Bowl weekend."

Built RAM tough

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: One-on-One with Dustin Fry

I would really like to see him step up his game this year and earn the starting spot. It would be great if we could get a big year out of him. I wish the article would have talked more about him working hard and preparing to earn a starting spot. Well hopefully we will hear those kind of positive things come training camp time.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I was very happy when we got him, mainly because of his pure brute strength and good size.
    I hope he can develop and become a solid starter for us, it looks like he's got all the tools.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    I would really like to see him step up his game this year and earn the starting spot. It would be great if we could get a big year out of him. I wish the article would have talked more about him working hard and preparing to earn a starting spot. Well hopefully we will hear those kind of positive things come training camp time.

Great reply, 99. I too would be a bit more interested right now on Fry's involvement and expecations with the Rams than with his fiancée, although sometimes it's "nice" to read about these personal matters as well.

In short, I think that Fry could become our starting C, his natural position, which would yield our OL another much needed body at G.

Dustin and Richie make two fine donut brothers, mean and nasty too. :bash:
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-28-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Format

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I like Fry but those questions were pretty soft i would ask the tough questions. Like how come you couldn't manage to get on the field with all the injuries and a bad o-line

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

Where was this interview from?

I do like that he made it clear that he didn't propose to his fiance in a topless bar. Way to be classy.

Rambos is offline Registered User

So was your first year in the NFL a pretty cool experience?

"It was nice.
    We were 3-13 how nice could it be....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We were 3-13 how nice could it be....
    He was one of the few offensive linemen associated with this team that didn't get injured. I'd be counting my blessings.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He was one of the few offensive linemen associated with this team that didn't get injured. I'd be counting my blessings.
    Ah, the joys of hardly seeing the field.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yet he never saw an offensive snap from the field. I gotta ask why? Roster-wise this year was the perfect situation for a rookie lineman like Fry, but he didn't get a single snap.

I had high hopes for Fry before the season that he would at least get a few meaningful snaps this year, but it didn't happen. I still have those hopes, but he better get after it this off-season and get some serious work in with our O-line coach...........who's our O-line coach again?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm in agreement with HUb...I think. If he had a speck of talent whatsoever, last year would have been an ideal year for him to find some action but he didn't. Does that say he has no talent for the NFL?

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm in agreement with HUb...I think. If he had a speck of talent whatsoever, last year would have been an ideal year for him to find some action but he didn't. Does that say he has no talent for the NFL?
    Maybe it explains why we have a new offensive line coach going into next year. Maybe Linehan was disappointed with the way the youngsters did NOT develop.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-29-2008, 12:34 AM