Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The one pick i have trepidation about....

general counsel is offline Registered User

The one pick i have trepidation about....

I really like Isaaih Pead. I think he fills a need for a game breaking change of pace guy behind jackson. However, this is the one pick i have trepidation about and it has nothing to do with pead. Lavonte David was on the board. We could really use a starting linebacker. David is the kind of guy who looks like a long term starter who can play run and pass. I know he isnt the biggest guy, which probably explains in part why we passed on him. I understand that the decision to trade back from 45 to 50 was based on a calculated risk that one of the two linebackers we wanted would be available at 50 (wagner or thompson) and that risk didnt play out in our favor. There are no guarantees when you trade back, and some of this analysis depends on whether the guard we took in the fifth round develops into a starter (if he does, this move looks a ton better of course). No matter how explosive pead is, he is going to be a role player and not a successor to jackson. Thus, i think a starting linebacker would have been a better choice.

That said, i dont view this as a significant complaint, more trepidation, and as i said above, if the guard in the fifth round becomes a starter the trade looks great. Linebacker is not critical right now and i may be brainwashed by all the great stuff i have read on this board and elsewhere about lavonte david. If we had taken David, we would have been missing out on another playmaker to help sammy. I am certainly glad that we addressed corner and defensive tackle because i think a defense can improve and thrive a lot better with weaker outside linebackers than weak corners and being weak up the middle. I am also hoping that we can get some linebacker help in free agency with some of the cap money we have recently free up on josh brown and jason smith.

At the end of the day, we had too many holes to fill in one draft and i have been preaching that myself. I was kind of hoping to fill the starting spots before the role player spots, but some of that is just based on how much i love jackson and how much i hate the idea of him coming off the field on third down. He catches and blocks so very well.

I could second guess on givens vs massie as well, but you guys have convinced me on givens and let's just hope that jason smith holds it together. As i have said a million times, i dont care how many weapons sammy has, if we can't protect him and create holes for jackson it won't matter all that much.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Re: The one pick i have trepidation about....

We had so many holes to fill for sure, how good does it feel to have 4 first round picks over the next two years to help that situation out! David would have been nice, but I do feel team really needed some playmakers (on special teams too) so i'm looking forward to see what pead can do. As for the linebacker situation, hopefully whoever plays there will be cushioned by one the best young lines and a promising young secondary, perhaps that will alleviate the need for a season.
    Defence Wins Championships

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Holt Your Horses View Post
    We had so many holes to fill for sure, how good does it feel to have 4 first round picks over the next two years to help that situation out! David would have been nice, but I do feel team really needed some playmakers (on special teams too) so i'm looking forward to see what pead can do. As for the linebacker situation, hopefully whoever plays there will be cushioned by one the best young lines and a promising young secondary, perhaps that will alleviate the need for a season.
    I agree with you Holt, we where not going to fill every need this year, we came o so close. Pead IMO might be the guy that has the biggest impact on this team. I like what he said in the press conference. I'm looking forward to meeting SJ, I'm looking forward to learn from a great back, but I'm here to compete.

We have needed a change of place back for three years or more... BL was going to be that guy and lasted one year. Their was a need and he is a playmaker!
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Lets not forget Pead is also a great player at a position of need. And we did need a back up running back.

mh-i is offline Registered User

I too am somewhat surprised that we didn't address the linebacker position until the 7th round. Maybe we can lucky on some released players for the short term.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Just remember that the holes on the team were too great to sort out over one draft. This is a step in the right direction. If the picks from this year work out we can grab on OLB with one of our two first rounders next year

harrydog is offline Registered User

We weren't going to fill all our needs this year no matter what we did.
    There are a couple of ways to fill those needs through the draft. One is to acquire more picks by trading down and fill as many needs as you can. This appears to be the approach that was taken this year. The obvious upside to this is that you fill more needs right now and you hope that these players will become quality contributors to the team. The downside is that you will miss out on some potentially better players.
    Another approach would be to take the highest rated players available at need positions without trading down and maybe even trading up at some point. The upside to this approach would be that you would potentially be getting more high impact, blue chip players but the downside would be that it might take you 2 or 3 years to fill all of your needs.
    There are arguments to be made for both approaches and maybe a combination of the two is the way to go. Considering the fact that we have 2 first round picks in each of the next two years I personally would have preferred more of the quality over quantity approach this year even though we may not have filled as many needs. I think the team would still have been much improved and in the long run probably even better off.
    I don't pretend to know more than the Rams front office. I'm sure they are under pressure to win and win now, so what they did makes sense. I'm okay with this draft. Just voicing my preference as to the approach.

Again, i am not criticizing just point out some trepidation. The best way to describe how i feel is that all needs are not created equally. A linebacker who is a three down guy helps more than a third down back. No question they were both needs and no question pead is an excellent guy for us. What is clear from snead and fishers own words is that they traded down hoping one of their two linebackers would still be on the board. Thus, presumably, they agreed that the linebacker was what they wanted. When their two guys were gone, they obviously viewed pead as a higher rated guy than david. I am not suggesting simply picking a linebacker because we needed a linebacker more than a third down back. I have been saying all along not to stretch for a specific need, stay with the best guys on our board that would help us.

Thus, the bottom line is that my trepidation should be put to rest because obviously fisher did not think as highly of david as he did of the other two linebackers and i shouldnt substitute my judgment for his on the type of linebacker for his defense and i certainly shouldnt be overly influenced by the mock draft experts. He wanted a linebacker more than he wanted pead, but only if he got the right linebacker and that is the perfect philisophical approach in my view. David is not a big guy and maybe that is what fisher didnt like about him as much as he liked thompson and wagner.

The success of the trade will depend on the guard in the 5th round. If he is not productive, than we didnt get what fisher hoped for when he traded back, but even that is 20-20 hindsight and if pead is productive, we arent going to get hit badly on this trade in any event and we can get the linebacker later.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Can't fill all holes in the draft but the Rams did a good job filling most!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Who says, he can't be Jackson's successor?

Last year he carried the ball 237 times for 1259 yards and 12 TDs.

Had a 5.3 yard avg per carry, and 96.8 yards per game on the ground.

Also caught 39 passes for 320 yards and another 3 scores.

He had 20 or more carries in 6 of 13 games with a high of 28 and another game with 27 carries.

In 3 of the games he didn't amass 20 carries he had 17, 18, and 19 carries respectively.

In the 17 carry game he totaled 80 yards on the ground, and ala Marshall Faulk, he also had 9 receptions for 112 yards.

He ran for over 100 yards in 6 of those games.

The year prior he missed rushing for 1000 yards by 5 yards, but he also only played in 10 games. That's about, 99 yards rushing per game. I'll take that kind of production from Steven Jackson, let alone Isaiah Pead.

From his sophomore year to his senior year he played in 36 of 38 games.

Don't know whether Fisher was thinking, "this is Jackson's successor", when he drafted Pead, but from what he did in college, he is more than capable of being just that.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

According to Michael Silver, the Rams were targeting Mychal Kendricks and Bobby Wagner (both LBs). When they were still on the board at #45, they gambled and traded back only to see them both get scooped up in succession to Philadelphia and Seattle. They were obviously not high on Lavonte David and went with BPA instead of "reaching" for the next LB. No doubt they felt stung by trading back and not getting one of the two guys they were targeting, but I really like Pead and think he compliments Jackson perfectly in the change-of-pace role.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -04-29-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    eric2810 likes this.

RealRam is online now Registered User

trep-i-da-tion

Noun:

1.A feeling of fear or agitation about something that may happen.
    2.Trembling motion.
    Synonyms: tremble - tremor - anxiety - alarm - fear

I hear you GC, I agree too. I hope Pead will develop well and sooth our concern sooner than later.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd imagine NFL defenders tend to hit a little harder than those in the Big Sky Conference. The biggest question mark on Pead as an every down back will be how he holds up to the punishment.

As far as Pead vs. the linebacker of choice, I'd have a hard time faulting the team either way. Without a strong backup runningback, an injury to SJ could sink the whole season. It's true that he won't play in as high a percentage of the offense's reps as a three down backer would in the defense, but you could argue that having a playmaker at the position is more important at the runningback spot. If one of the spots is going to be filled by a player with above average ability at the position and the other is to be filled by a journeyman or past-their-prime vet, I'd probably be inclined to get the above average talent at runningbck.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Ray Rice (rookie) - 5'9", 196lbs, 4.42 40, pick #55
    Isaiah Pead - 5'10", 197lbs, 4.45 40, pick #50

Notice anything similar? One of the knocks on Rice was that he was considered too small to be a feature RB. I see no reason why Pead can't do the same.
    RealRam and Sam_Brad_8 like this.

Excellent stats ramendola, thanks for pointing that out. I guess another way to look at it is that there doesnt really have to be "a successor" to jackson. It could be a backfield by committee concept and pead could be part of that role even if he cant take the pounding full time.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast