Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The one pick i have trepidation about....

DieHard23 is offline Registered User

Re: The one pick i have trepidation about....

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    Ray Rice (rookie) - 5'9", 196lbs, 4.42 40, pick #55
    Isaiah Pead - 5'10", 197lbs, 4.45 40, pick #50

Notice anything similar? One of the knocks on Rice was that he was considered too small to be a feature RB. I see no reason why Pead can't do the same.
    Exactly what I was thinking as well. A couple more comparisons (assuming size is the reason he presumably couldn't be a feature back later on):

Jamaal Charles - 5'11", 199lbs.
    Chris Johnson - 5'11", 191lbs. (Drafted by Fisher as well)

Not to mention Pead has some of the quickest feet I have ever seen for a RB.

harrydog is offline Registered User

It's not his size that concerns me. During his college career there were a number of times that he came out of the game for extended periods of time for minor injuries. I'm just not sure he's going to be able to hold up to the pounding he may take as a featured back in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong though. I really like the kid.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

While I am upset at not addressing that hole in WLB, I think we'll be fine because I feel we won't be emphasizing on the 4-3 base defense as much. With the depth we have at corner, we'll often be running nickel and dime packages and that's a good response to a pass-happy league. We should find a starting OLB during next years draft or UDFA/FA now, but I expect them to get less playing time while we emphasize on nickel situations.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think we still could have gotten Pead at the top of the third, so I would have taken David. Sneed and company obviously thought differently.

I don't think you draft a guy in the second round solely to be changeup back. IMO they were trying to bring Pead along behind Jackson and hoping to get a Lesean McCoy or Jamaal Charles type of RB. IMO that justifies not taking an LB because we already have 2 starting LBs and we will be playing in a nickel set 60% of the time. Peads touches in the return game, as a reciever, and as runner IMO are more valuable than an LB playing 40% of the defensive snaps and special teams.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I think we still could have gotten Pead at the top of the third, so I would have taken David. Sneed and company obviously thought differently.
    So in other words, you would rather have had David and Pead over Pead and Givens?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm just happy we used a premium pick to address a longstanding position of need.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Are you sure? LaMicheal James was taken after Pead, so teams were obviously looking at RBs there.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Some scouts had Pead as a guy worthy of a 30th-45th selection. If that is to be believed, then I'd say we got a player we really liked a little later than we should've. It's nice to finally have a blur in the the backfield.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

People have been complaining for 4 years that the Rams aren't getting a quality Jackson backup. They finally draft one and they complain it wasn't as important as a LBer.
    tomahawk247 and Flippin' Ram like this.

Exactly RebellYell, the FO can't win!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

No we still get givens, but dont get Trumaine johnson in that scenario

If we traded back and got David Lamar Miller would have still been on the board at the top of the third and I would have been fine taking him over Johnson, but its all history now and I like who we are moving forward with

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

First of all, any comment that asserts that "__________ would have been available in Round _________" is pretty worthless. Players are not taken when fans expect them to be in all instances, as teams have a lot more information than we do (i.e. anyone have Chris Polk NOT being drafted?).

Second, if the choice were between drafting a young RB like Pead or a LB like David, I take the RB every day and twice on Sunday. There are always LBs available in FA who can give you a couple of good years (i.e. Rocky McIntosh, Ernie Sims), but FA RBs who are older than 27 are typically close to worthless.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

There may be at least a couple of hidden DB gems in the UDFAs if these preliminary analysis from College Football Metrics are anywhere close to fact. This is a subscription site (and I'm not biting on the $30), so these are just the lead-ins, not the full reports:

OLB Sammy Brown, Houston

Sammy Brown led all NCAA players in tackles-for-loss last year, and had the second most sacks of any player (Whitney Mercilus led the way). Boring! Who cares...did he play for LSU or Alabama is all we should care about, right? The mainstream draft media is not talking about him, so he must be no good? After playing only two college seasons, Sammy Brown is tied (with Von Miller) for 13th in the NCAA all-time for career tackles-for-loss. We are not suggesting the simplicity of great college performance is an instant translation to equal NFL success. We would at least like to explore the notion that he should be higher rated/discussed than as a fringe 20-30th best OLB prospect in this draft. There is more to the Sammy Brown prospect story then just great conference USA output. To see why our computer scouting models show Sammy Brown rated as a top-5 OLB prospect in this draft, click the link below...

S Matt Daniels, Duke

2012 NFL Draft Research Report: S Matt Daniels, Duke
    Our computers discovered Matt Daniels late in the process, and it was an amazing discovery. Our computer models are completely smitten with Matt Daniels, as am I the more we look at it. Daniels may very well be the top Safety-prospect in this draft, at a minimum he should be among the top Safeties discussed. He is currently ESPN's 40th ranked Safety in this draft. To see how high our computer rates Matt Daniels (buckle up), click the link below...

Interesting comments, no? Of course it all boils down to translation into the big-time NFL game. YMMV........

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think some people are reading the posts. This is not a complaint about taking a running back. This is a discussion of taking a starter vs taking a backup. I hear you on the running back issue, but i dont think all needs are created equal. I said three times trepidation, not criticism and its NOT based on a linebacker need in general its a question of the quality of the linebacker in lavonte david, a guy that many many people had rated very highly. I point out that fisher preferred linebacker over pead by his own admission, so i dont think fisher agreed that pead was more valuable that a linebacker. I think that point here is that the two linebackers that fisher liked better than pead were gone (thompson and wagner) and he didnt like david enough to take him over pead. I accept that, and voice only trepidation, not a complaint or a criticism. It's not the same thing.

We all agree that there are too many holes to fill in one draft, but i personally dont equate a backup to a starter if the talent levels are equal, i dont care who the backup is. In this case, the reason we took pead is because fisher did not think the talent levels were equal once thompson and wagner were gone, and on that basis, i accept the pick of pead because i have been preaching loudly, and will not be a hypocrite, that the worst thing we could do would be to draft players of inferior talent simply to fill one need over another need.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GC, i think the two linebackers the Rams were considering were Bobby Wagner and Mychal Kendricks.

I can understand what you are saying though, about the difference between a starter and a backup. It would have been nice to have gotten another starter with that 2nd rounder. But Pead will contribute on offense and on special teams, and could develop into a starter in a couple of years.

I really would have liked to have gotten a starting OLB in this draft, but I follow the Rome wasn't built in a day approach, and if Pead was the best guy on the Rams board, I think they did the right choice picking him over a position of need.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast