• 2 Post By bruce4life
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By MauiRam
  • 5 Post By Rambos

Thread: One Point I would like to bring up watching the game

bruce4life is online now Registered User

One Point I would like to bring up watching the game

That our 2nd string o-line looks small and weak out there. After keeping Barksdake, Barrett Jones, and Shelley Smith I would not mind5 bringing in another backup veteran kind of how we brought in a Chris Williams last season
    Richbert88 and ManofGod like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: One Point I would like to bring up watching the game

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    That our 2nd string o-line looks small and weak out there. After keeping Barksdake, Barrett Jones, and Shelley Smith I would not mind5 bringing in another backup veteran kind of how we brought in a Chris Williams last season
    You are to kind sir. I will be shocked if we can't get some camp cuts that are better then what we have going on. That's three games in a row that you can't tell if our back up QBs and RBs are really that bad.
    rammiser likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Is this any kind of surprise to anyone? I think we all knew depth, especially on the O-line, is the Rams biggest weakness. That and the slim pickin's at LB and safety. As Rambos said, it's one of the reasons we can't get a good read on our backup QB's and RB's. Let's hope they all stay healthy for a full season...
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I wouldn't disagree with the point, I must say some of the O-Line's lack of distinction may be part of Jeff Fisher holding back moves to confuse defenses once the season begins. As long as Sam stays healthy I'm satisfied. We all want us to look great every game, but there is clearly an agenda here. Winning the opening game against AZ is so important to the start of the season I agree with Jeff doing what's necessary by making sure we win it.

Go Rams!
    eric2810 and ManofGod like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Is this any kind of surprise to anyone? I think we all knew depth, especially on the O-line, is the Rams biggest weakness. That and the slim pickin's at LB and safety. As Rambos said, it's one of the reasons we can't get a good read on our backup QB's and RB's. Let's hope they all stay healthy for a full season...
    It clearly is no surprise to Fish. Did you hear the comment from Dan Dierdorf regarding how long Sam would play? Apparently before the game, Fish let it be known that if and when Saffold couldn't play any longer, Sam was done! Originally before Barksdale contracted staph, the plan was to play Sam well into the third quarter.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    It clearly is no surprise to Fish. Did you hear the comment from Dan Dierdorf regarding how long Sam would play? Apparently before the game, Fish let it be known that if and when Saffold couldn't play any longer, Sam was done! Originally before Barksdale contracted staph, the plan was to play Sam well into the third quarter.
    One head coach thinks it through and then there are the JETS.

MACD is offline Registered User

Any chance Sam sits the 4th preseason game and the backup QB's get time with the first team O?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Any chance Sam sits the 4th preseason game and the backup QB's get time with the first team O?
    I'd guess that depends on at least a couple of things that we won't find out right away. Does Jeff want to keep 3 QBs on the roster, or just 2? Does Jeff already know who the #2 backup is going to be. Sam may get one series, but it is quite possible he'll sit. Since most of the practice reps for backup Qbs are not with the starting O-line/skill players, my guess is Fish will give at least one of the backups some time with the 1st team offense. On the other hand, if he is only going to keep one backup Qb, then maybe not. More than anything it is important that we have a healthy group of starters come September 8th.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post

Yah - It's a point I been making since before the draft and now you are starting to see it. If we get 1 or 2 injuries on the OL look for Bradford to be running for his life all season. kapernick is really not that great, but the OL he sits behind makes him look great.
    Last edited by vanillasue; -08-26-2013 at 08:15 PM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Yeah, Turner was a big loss in the offseason. Just like the high desire to keep Hayes around for the DL, there was a high desire to keep him around. Finding his replacement in a group of rookie's and one year guys is not easy.

Starting off, the Rams have to take their top 2nd stringer and plug him in as the starter at LG. So yeah, some waiver wire action is definitely on the horizon for Rams OL.

I was pleased with the signing of Barrett Jones... but he's a rookie and everyone knew the knee injury would require bringing him along slowly. He's more of an option next year than this year. Between him and Tim Barnes though, clearly there will be a major drop off in quality if Wells or Dahl gets hurt. Sadly, same goes if either of the Tackles go down.

But hey, no worries. I hear Barry Richardson is staying in shape!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Yeah, Turner was a big loss in the offseason. Just like the high desire to keep Hayes around for the DL, there was a high desire to keep him around. Finding his replacement in a group of rookie's and one year guys is not easy.

Starting off, the Rams have to take their top 2nd stringer and plug him in as the starter at LG. So yeah, some waiver wire action is definitely on the horizon for Rams OL.

I was pleased with the signing of Barrett Jones... but he's a rookie and everyone knew the knee injury would require bringing him along slowly. He's more of an option next year than this year. Between him and Tim Barnes though, clearly there will be a major drop off in quality if Wells or Dahl gets hurt. Sadly, same goes if either of the Tackles go down.

But hey, no worries. I hear Barry Richardson is staying in shape!!!
    For the record Jones did not have a knee injury it was his foot.

Jones, who underwent foot surgery following Alabama's rout of Notre Dame in the BCS National Championship, will begin training camp on the Rams' non-football injury list, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
    I think Jones if needed will be able to help at guard by mid season. I would hope he does not have to play and can focus on being a great center for us. Rok really screwed us over with his addiction fast food. Turner was solid but I think Rok would have been a decent backup in year two and that made Turner expendable at the time.