Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

One problem ... Old but one problem I found with Tye Hill

The Rams clearly have a starter in J. Butler. He will start next season but the future consists of Tye Hill and Bulter at CB most likely, and Oshiomogho Atogwe and Jerome Carter at FS and SS. Which leaves Bartell. What will we do with him? I want to see him get playing time so badly but I believe in the futre he doesn't fit. I was just looking over the roster and encountered that. Could we trade Jbutler for Line help eventually or just let him go in free agency?

RamsFan16

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: One problem ... Old but one problem I found with Tye Hill

i like butler also, lets see how he does coming back from that injury,as for bartell,i also think hes going to be a good player and i think he will see some good playing time, its very hard to go all season without some of these guys missing time due to injury,the best thing for bartell is to be ready when he does get that chance to shine.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Butler is signed for the next four seasons, and sees a pretty big pay rise next year (2007). His salary goes from $585k this season to $2 million in '07, $2.5 million in '08, and $3 million in '09. It will be interesting to see how Butler comes back from injury this year, because if he doesn't return to form, we're probably going to see a salary reduction discussion sometime in the next year or two.

I don't think we can have a cornerback discussion without mentioning Fahkir Brown. He signed a five year deal that isn't exactly at Wal-Mart prices. He has to be factored into the CB situation. And obviously Tye Hill is going to get his shot, so that locks up the top three CB positions for the time being and probably the near future. Which means at corner, Bartell is likely the dime guy at best unless one of these three completely falls off the map. Butler and Brown could not live up to the status being placed on them. It wouldn't shock me, and if it happened, maybe Bartell slips in that way.

Otherwise, his best shot is at safety. I would hardly bank on Jerome Carter locking up the future SS job. What we saw of him certainly wasn't anywhere as hopeful as what we saw of Atogwe. Personally I think you work Bartell at FS until you think he's got a comfortable feel, and when it's time for Chavous to come off the field (either when he's contract is done or if he's just not getting the job done), move Atogwe to SS and have Bartell start at FS.

Worst case scenario is he becomes a versatile back-up, which isn't that bad to have either.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with nick and JK on many of these points. First, its too early to assume anything from butler because no one knows how healthy he will be and whether he will be the same player he was before the injury. In addition, nick is correct, there is plenty of room for depth in the secondary and i see no evidence at this point to suggest that carter is a starter of the present or future. I am not giving up hope on him, just stating that he didnt look all that impressive to me in year one, and while he may improve and become a quality starter, i think the jury is very much out on him.

Bartell will get his shot, we will see how he does when called on. It makes sense to say that he needs to play in order to improve. My concern for bartell is that i hope he doesnt get bounced back and forth between safety and corner, that we pick one spot and let him learn as much as he can.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

viper is offline Registered User

Many good points made here. We seem to have alot of DB's to sort out this year. Don't forget about Chavous and Jon Alston. They will be wanting playing time as well. I'm looking forward to seeing Alston get some time at SS, Atogwe at FS, Bartell and Hill at CB this year, even in nickel, dime or backup positions. Its going to be fun to watch.

Meanwhile, the veterans were brought in to bring stability to the unit.

Can't wait!

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Agree with all the above and I can wait as well ... very interesting point of view on the back field line up can't wait to see what happens ???

I guess the only problem I see is that Atowe, Carter, Bartell, Hill, Butler, Brown, and Fisher all have great potential. I see Fisher being cut but the rest have great potential and only a few will get to play alot. I guess what happens is what happens.
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

the future consists of Tye Hill and Bulter at CB most likely, and Oshiomogho Atogwe and Jerome Carter at FS and SS ---RF16

Butler may or may not return to old form, who knows?
    Hill hasn't played a down of professional ball.
    Atogwe and Carter did absolutely nothing last year to secure a spot on the roster, much less a starting spot.

Bartell will be on the field before Atogwe or Carter either one. Assuming Butler is 100%, the starters will probably be Butler and Brown at CB, Hill at NB, Bartell and Chavous at S.
    Last edited by HUbison; -06-07-2006 at 12:16 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I guess the only problem I see is that Atowe, Carter, Bartell, Hill, Butler, Brown, and Fisher all have great potential.---RF16

I agree.....you seeing great potential in all of those guys is a problem.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    the future consists of Tye Hill and Bulter at CB most likely, and Oshiomogho Atogwe and Jerome Carter at FS and SS ---RF16

Butler may or may not return to old form, who knows?
    Hill hasn't played a down of professional ball.
    Atogwe and Carter did absolutely nothing last year to secure a spot on the roster, much less a starting spot.

Bartell will be on the field before Atogwe or Carter either one. Assuming Butler is 100%, the starters will probably be Butler and Brown at CB, Hill at NB, Bartell and Chavous at S.
    Yes, I know Atogwe and Carter did close to nothing. I'm pretty sure Atogwe had an argument with the coaching staff saying how the Coachs weren't coaching properly and don't know what there doing and that really hurt his playing time (I think) and also Atogwe was hurt but he got playing time against Dallas and look how he did. He had 4 Tackles, 1 interception and 1 fumble recovery. That showed how he can do in the NFL. I think he is going to be a stud!
    RamsFan16

he got playing time against Dallas and look how he did. He had 4 Tackles, 1 interception and 1 fumble recovery. That showed how he can do in the NFL.---RF16

Actually, that just shows how he did one Sunday against Dallas. Look, I'm not trying to knock the guy. He may be fine for us, and may even start eventually. However, to say Atogwe and Carter are the future thereby squeezing out Bartell as an option is a bit premature.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    he got playing time against Dallas and look how he did. He had 4 Tackles, 1 interception and 1 fumble recovery. That showed how he can do in the NFL.---RF16

Actually, that just shows how he did one Sunday against Dallas. Look, I'm not trying to knock the guy. He may be fine for us, and may even start eventually. However, to say Atogwe and Carter are the future thereby squeezing out Bartell as an option is a bit premature.
    I didn't meant to make it sound like thats what he WILL do in the NFL, I'm just saying thats what he is capable of doing in the NFL.
    RamsFan16

RealRam is offline Registered User

"Assuming Butler is 100%, the starters will probably be Butler and Brown at CB, Hill at NB, Bartell and Chavous at S." -- HUbison

Me likey! :-)

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

It will be an interesting pre season to see how many different looks that the Rams can bring with the heavy load of players in the secondary. 1 thing for sure is that there will be heavy competition for ALL starting spots. And that will only make the team better.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Ah, I don't know, it's really early to start pencilling people in on the basis of one mini-camp. I agree with those who say that the competition that's been created should result in better play from the secondary no matter who's playing back there. That, and the improved pass rush that we're all hoping will result from the signings/Draftees provided for the D-line will make them all look better.

Chavous is one our starting Safeties, that much we can guarantee barring injury, and neither Fisher or Butler will be guaranteed a starting CB spot by this coaching staff. Fakhir Brown has to be on some sort of inside track given how much money he's going to earn over the next 2 years.

As for the rest it's all up for grabs, but I think Alston has to be a nice wild card to have and that Atogwe has shown real flashes of ability.

Bartell? I really don't know what his best position is but I'm sure we'll find out over the next couple of months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast