Like Tree14Likes
  • 10 Post By AvengerRam
  • 3 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: The one thing that makes this year different from previous years.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The one thing that makes this year different from previous years.

There is one thing that makes the 2012 season different from all prior seasons:

It hasn't happened yet.

No, this isn't a "gotcha" through a play on words. I actually have a point here.

We are all just fans.

As much as we like to think of ourselves as analysts, and as much as some of us may be capable of articulating cogent arguments to support our analyses, we're still just fans.

As fans, our part of our "job description" is having hope. Its that "there's always next year" mentality that brings fans back through the generations.

Granted, the Rams have not made it easy on us. We've endured a stretch of futility that has reach historical proportions. Consequently, nobody should be blamed for having doubts, guarding their optimism, or taking a "wait and see" approach.

But hope needs to be part of the equation.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't muster up hope that your team might shock the world, there's little point to being a fan.

2012 is a blank slate. Every team in the league has the same number of wins and losses right now.

So, while objective analysis should not be abandoned, I urge each of you - every now and again - to allow yourself to entertain the thought that this could be a great year.
    Nick, live4ramin, MauiRam and 7 others like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The one thing that makes this year different from previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    As fans, our part of our "job description" is having hope.
    I bet we could start making a list of people who are going to disagree with this statement.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    allow yourself to entertain the thought that this could be a great year.
    Heck, I just want to allow myself to be entertained. Myself, I always have hope; Just less sometimes.
    With all the gravitas of Jackie Treehorn.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I can understand how the causal Ram fans, like my brother may not have hope. He couldn't tell you who we drafted this year or coaches we brought in and other moves we made to change the tide. But fans on this board that know all the changes to this staff and roster that can't once in a blue moon say this team could be really good this year! To say, why not us, why not now! I don't get it, as fans we should be homers to a fault.

We should say Bradford will be a top 10 QB this year.

We should say Long and Quinn will be a force to be dealt with.

We should say Finnegan and Jenkins will lock up some of the best receivers.

We should say that Jackson and Pead will be one of the best running back combinations in the league.

We should say that Quick and Given will be a combination of speed and size to create problems.

We should say Fisher on game day will be a force on the sideline and pull out games with better game day adjustments.

We should say all those things as Ram fans. Heck yeah, can't wait to see our Rams kick some butt!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

How many Whiner fans thought they would go 13-3 this year? Who though Alex Smith would play like a top 10 game manager QB? Things happen... Stay positive and optimistic!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Well as just a fan, speaking for me, myself, I and my Wallet (notice the mention of wallet) I need more then just hope--and everyother fan (and their wallets) wants results.

Kinda an odd concept but unhappy fans have happy wallets because there is more money left in them--happy fans have unhappy wallets

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Well as just a fan, speaking for me, myself, I and my Wallet (notice the mention of wallet) I need more then just hope--and everyother fan (and their wallets) wants results.

Kinda an odd concept but unhappy fans have happy wallets because there is more money left in them--happy fans have unhappy wallets
    I would disagree with that, happy fans have happy wallets because they spend the money on entertainment they enjoy. If you liked spending money on things non-rams related more, even when the team is good, you'd spend the money on that instead anyway. So happy fans means happy wallets because the money is being spent where they want it.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

"I would disagree with that, happy fans have happy wallets because they spend the money on entertainment they enjoy. If you liked spending money on things non-rams related more, even when the team is good, you'd spend the money on that instead anyway. So happy fans means happy wallets because the money is being spent where they want it. "......

Equally true--to the point I still seek Rams collectables...from the 1950s, 60s, and 70s...sports cards, mugs, jersey's etc. My 1999 collection is getting pretty complete...Sadly my perchasing of Rams products has been rather thin--trips to St Louis have fallen off due to lack of production on the field...and every year I debate whether or not I will get the NFL ticket on Direct TV. With the last few years, I just haven't spent much money on the "modern" Rams products--haven't felt the excitement of acquiring a jersy-a collectable. Once the roaster comes out--there is one jersey am hoping to get and perhaps even get it autographed if I am lucky.