VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

One thing no one has considered...

There's been a lot of chatter about Linehan's scheme, (or lack of one), about his "flip-flopping" in assigning playcalling duties, and the inevitable "he's lost the players" chant.

Lineha's scheme has been addressed by those much more knowledgeable than I, and I am firmly on the side of the "it's the INJURIES, stupid" crowd.

As far as supposed reversal on who calls the plays, I would advance the theory that when he turned them over to Olson, citing his need to concentrate on "head coaching" responsibilities, it was an honest, humbling decision. Now that he has re-assumed that role, he's being labeled "undecisive", and not doing anything different to change the Rams' direction.

However, he was over halfway into the season last year when he switched, and it could be argued that he is now comfortable enough with the "head coaching" responsibilities to take on the additional task of calling plays. In addition, I could be wrong, but I do not believe Olson was in the booth last year when Linehan was in charge of playcalling, so that is an attempt to try something different as well.

Of course the SLOPsters, (aka "there are none so blind..."), refuse to give him any credit for three TDs in one game as opposed to NONE in four, with a second string QB, 31 points in one game vs. 39 in four, or any of the other positives from yesterday's contest.

And finally , to the "he's lost the team" crowd, whatever credibility you may have had is now gone as you were certainly not watching the same game yesterday as I was. It can be argued that we don't have a singular, visible, vocal leader on either side of the ball, but all the players I watched were fired up and playing hard, and I challenge anyone to cite an instance where that was not the case.

We're all frustrated, as I know NO ONE on this or any other board, (or in the media for that matter), would have even dreamed we'd be 0-5 now, so we need to vent. Fine.

Just include a little objectivity.

P.S. I'll be in Cabo san Lucas this Sunday, which means I'll miss the game, which means a win for sure. Enjoy it.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: One thing no one has considered...

This makes perfectly good sense to me, but good luck convincing the Linehan haters that he should have an opportunity experimenting with some things considering he was a rookie coach last year. I would think it would take awhile getting adapted to being the head guy, including how to relate to players and how to manage the team on a day to day, week to week basis. He probably understands that alot better now than he did this point last year, and he seemingly called his best game as a head coach from an offensive standpoint yesterday. How many games are we going to lose putting up nearly 400 yards and 31 pts? Not many ....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Tampa Bay 24 Rams 3
    Dallas 35 Rams 7

Those 2 losses were killers for us fans. We've beaten those 2 games into the ground.
    I actually felt a bit embarrassed by our back to back beatings.

Although the loss to the Cardinals has alot of question marks. A 34-31 final makes me feel like we are on the verge of breaking this losing streak. At least the offense finally did something, including Bennett and McMichael. This was without Bruce, Jackson and Bulger. I would say Linehan did a nice job of getting this offense going. I'm always excited and anxious any time our RAMS play no matter what the circumstances are.
    That performance Sunday against the Cardinals has really fired me up. That was back to the exciting football we're used to. I see alot of excitement ahead. I don't care who or where we are playing the fun is going to be there. We will win and we will play the spoiler. The Ravens better be careful. THEY'RE NEXT!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    However, he was over halfway into the season last year when he switched, and it could be argued that he is now comfortable enough with the "head coaching" responsibilities to take on the additional task of calling plays.
    Wow, well thought out, reasonable logic. What a concept. Rep points for VegasRam.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Of course the SLOPsters, (aka "there are none so blind..."), refuse to give him any credit for three TDs in one game as opposed to NONE in four, with a second string QB, 31 points in one game vs. 39 in four, or any of the other positives from yesterday's contest.
    Let me ask you this... assume Rams were averaging 31 points per game, and then had a game in which they scored 3, would you accept from the "SLOPsters" the argument that the the one bad game is what matters, rather than the overall performance over five games?

Of course you wouldn't. So why should I accept your overemphasis of one decent peformance in the face of an overall 5 game span in which the offense has been lousy?

Yesterday was obviously an improvement, but I still think that Linehan (as he has done before) abandoned the run at the wrong times and, in doing so, contributed to the loss.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let me ask you this... assume Rams were averaging 31 points per game, and then had a game in which they scored 3, would you accept from the "SLOPsters" the argument that the the one bad game is what matters, rather than the overall performance over five games?

Of course you wouldn't. So why should I accept your overemphasis of one decent peformance in the face of an overall 5 game span in which the offense has been lousy?

Yesterday was obviously an improvement, but I still think that Linehan (as he has done before) abandoned the run at the wrong times and, in doing so, contributed to the loss.
    (Bad officiating and a stupid Int did as well).

But, you're right, I wouldn't.

My point was that he ADAPTED, i.e., changed what he was doing in taking over the play calling and putting Olson the booth, and it appears to have had a positive impact.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yes, he adapted and, yes, this game was an improvement. If the offensive productivity continues, and the team wins a few games, I may alter my position. All I'm saying is that one game at home against a mediocre opponent really does not change anything.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

As you all know I am a Linehan supporter. However I must agree with AV on the abandoning the run accusation. With the score tied 10-10, 3:32 left in the 1st half, We have the ball at our own 20 yardline. 3 pass plays are called in a row. All fell incomplete and all 3 were intended for probably our weakest receiver Dante' Hall. The blame for the receiver selection goes to Frerotte I guess. We burned a total of 30 seconds off the clock after punting to the Cardinals. Fortunately for us our defense was able to hold the Cardinals and we got the ball back with 2:23 on the clock at the Cardinal 48 yard line. 1st play Leonard runs up the middle for 13 yards and 15 are added to the end of the run for an unnecessary roughness call against the Cardinals.
    So here we are at the 2 minute warning 1st and 10 at the Cardinal 20. 1st play a 3 yard pass play to Leonard burns 26 seconds. So we are down to 2nd and 7 on the Cardinals 17 with 1:34 to go in the half. Ummmm run the ball here??? Or has Linehan been reading the posts on the Clan site about our terribly predictable offense. Lack of taking chances especially in the red zone?? Any way 2 incomplete passes later that took a grand total of 15 seconds off the clock, we line up Wilkins for a 35 yard field goal attempt that is good. Yeah, we're up by 3 with 1:21 left in the 1st half!!!

You know the rest...

So yeah, I do believe Linehan should have mixed in some more running plays just based on the incompletions and clock alone.

Again, I am a S.L.A.P. member but it doesn't mean I don't have an objective and realistic view point.

keith m. klink Guest

i'm sorry , but i still think the ram's are headed in the right dirrection with linehan . not the W-L , but the team makeup as a whole . i still support the coach , and i think that he still deserves a little room to maneuver through the injury bug here .