Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    supachump is offline Registered User

Re: The One Thing That Seattle Has That The Rams Don't

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    The Piece of crap Raiders have a loyal fan base regardless what the record is...
    Didnt this team have trouble filling their stadium this year? I'm not a fan, but I live in the Bay area and it seemed a vast majority of their games were blacked out.

Maybe the ones that were there were noisy. But I dont think that many were showing up.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Were you at the last home game sir?

I was and I can say St Louis can still bring the noise.
    I was there. And it was pretty loud. And i was loving it.

That said, AV has a good point.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Didnt this team have trouble filling their stadium this year? I'm not a fan, but I live in the Bay area and it seemed a vast majority of their games were blacked out.

Maybe the ones that were there were noisy. But I dont think that many were showing up.
    Raider fans are loyal, most of them just didn't have the money to avoid the blackouts.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Move the Rams to Oklahoma?
    They'll sure develop a rabid fanbase in an instant second and Sam Bradford will be even happier.
    And no, I'm not beating a dead horse.
    I would rep you but it says I must spread it around.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Not be the worst team ever in a 3 year span certainly helps bring fans back to the dome. We had a losing record and still made our last home game rocking so lets not get on this.

No team in the league has the type of home field that Seattle does. I wonder how many sold out games there would be when after the fifth game of the season your team is already virtually eliminated from playoff hopes.

We start actually winning games and the crowd will definitely come back. Noone wants to pay to see the pathetic piece of crap that was this team from 2007-2009. Why waste money on that?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    I would rep you but it says I must spread it around.....
    Yea I would assume there would be a much stronger fanbase there for the Rams seeing that there is only one major team they have outside of college sports (Oklahoma City Thunder). I could careless about Los Angeles seeing that it's a dead horse driven to necrophilia and that most Californians are bandwagon fans, especially Charger and Laker ones.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

One thing I hate is when people compare the STL Cardinals to the STL Rams. The Cards have been in St. Louis since 1882! For those not so good at math, that is a 113 year difference, of course the Cardinals are going to have more loyal fans. Similarly, the Seahawks have been in their city 19 more years, the Raiders have been in Oakland/ LA for 35 more years, same for the Cowboys in Dallas. Thats one more generation for Seattle and nearly two more generations for Oakland and Dallas.

So what that history lesson is trying to show, it takes time to build loyalty. I was a bright eyed nine year old watching the greatest show on turf. I'm not quite to the season ticket purchasing echelon yet, but hopefully in four or five more years(or 10 or 20 in this economic climate ) I'll be able to make that commitment, even though I currently live about three hours from the Lou.

Give Sam a chance to return our Rams to the days of old, St Louisans want a good competitive team to cheer for, lets hope we continue to give them one.

Billy, if you build it, they will come.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I have mixed feelings on the whole "supportive fan" thing. On the one hand, it is important to support the team even when things aren't going well. No one should take pride in being there only when the team is successful. On the flip side, it is asking an awful lot to expect fans to pay ridiculous prices (especially in a bad economy) or travel to watch bad football and a lackluster organization week after week. That is what St. Louis fans dealt with the past 5 years. Fortunately, this season gave us hope in the form of leadership from the front office down to the playing field. The worst is hopefully behind us, and there's currently NO EXCUSE to not get your collective rear ends in the stands.

The best way to voice your displeasure with a team is to not go to games. Unfortunately, not enough people exercise this right, and go anyway. If management sees that people are attending games regardless of the product being put on the field, there is no incentive to try and get better or create a model franchise. Just ask any long suffering Cub fan where their loyalty has gotten them.

The most loyal fan bases are those of organizations that have usually been 1st class operations: The Pittsburgh Steelers. The Green Bay Packers. The Dallas Cowboys. The New York Giants. It is no accident that these teams have won multiple Super Bowls and have been among the league's hallmark teams for years. Seattle is an exception. I can only surmise that because the Supersonics left, and the Mariners are irrelevant that sports fans can channel their rabid support solely behind the Seahawks, thus the deafening noise at home games.

The reality is that the Rams have NEVER been regarded as a team with a demonstrative and vocal fan base, going back to their days in Los Angeles. And St. Louis has shown that it is like most other NFL cities: more than eager and vocal in supporting a successful team but less than enthusiastic when faced with a lackluster squad. Look at Denver- they were as loyal and as rabid a fan base as you could find during the Elway days, but as Denver has fallen on hard times, gone is the frenzy and the home field advantage they once enjoyed.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Sorry to derail this thread, but another difference I saw was that they know how to commit offensive holding and illegal blocks without the officials seeing. The RAMS have never been successful at getting away with that quantity of illegal blocks and holding.

I just saw a "highlight" of the 86 yard run. THE ONLY reason he made it through the OL was OL # 68 (IIRC) held his man, and then shoved him in the back when holding wasn't enough. Sure everyone else should have tackled Lynch when they had a chance (too busy trying to strip the ball), but that play ends at the LOS without the penalties, or should have been called back.

Could it be that the NFL is setting Seattle up to be the "next dynasty"?

gap

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Oh it'll get plenty loud next year. Some "PEOPLE" are still in the wait and see mode and thats understandable. Bad movie, no ticket sales. Good movie, no seating. I'm ready for a pretty good show next year. Although i have yet to watch a home game being from the pacific ocean, my dream will someday be a reality.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

St. Louis is a great baseball town, but has never had the reputation for a great football fan base.
    50 years of Bidwell and Frontiere will do that to a fanbase. We're back to this again...

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post

get outta here. that only happens in st. louis.

Boosh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

If the Cardinals went through a slump, I'm sure the Busch would still be full.. or as full as it gets now, anyway. I really don't know.
    Actually there was a report on the news last season about how the Cardinals attendance was really starting to slide when it became apparent that they would not be in the playoffs.
    If you go back to the GSOT days and you will see this town was a football town, a baseball town, and even a hockey town but when the Rams became a joke and the Blues started having some awful seasons it allowed a winning Cardinals team to be the only entertaining sport in STL and also take the lead in attracting new fans as well as taking a nice chunk of the available fan base's entertainment dollars. As all of us on this board know, it's not fun watching a team lose week after week and I can only imagine that it's even worse to the casual fan. Had the roles been reversed and the Rams stayed on top we wouldn't be having this conversation and instead we would be asking where could we get tickets for next years sold out season!

As for Seattle, don't forget that Seahawks have been rooted in their Seattle 19 years longer than our beloved Rams have been in STL. I hope we get another 19 years in St. Louis but no matter where they end up I will still be a die-hard fan.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

a rabid, noisy fan base
    THAT'S IT!!!

We turn loose a truck-load of raccoons and skunks into the ED!

Boom! Done! Rabid fan base!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampower is offline Registered User

A strip club 20 mins walk from the stadium??

Seriously though I will compare my experiences from elsewhere.

The bengals record for futility easily matches our own, but have a much healthier fan base at home, begals themed bars, A band called who dey that play in a bar after every game in the centre of town, orange and black banners around the town etc. I remember one fish restaurant having a sign "big cats love fish" in black and orange. A gigantic bengals store on the side of the stadium. A themed bar over the road, again black and orange. Street venders selling gear on every corner around the stadium. Loads of them. They are picking 4th in the draft. The had the leagues worst record from 1990-1999. Are a small city/market team. But cincy is bengal bonkers. I am not saying every game is a sell out or cincy is perfect, but loads of shops sell their gear, wall marts and the like. I have been twice as my wife is a bengals fan and I have found it very sobering. I would love the rams to have that kind of attention. I really would.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast