Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: One thing you might not have known

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: One thing you might not have known

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I guess this is a really rare photo, right?
    Is this some sort of a sick joke? We all know tackles are better when they are made on someone's back!
    lordwhttgr likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

When I started this thread I never envisioned it turning into whether or not JL was a top MLB. IMO he is and his play on the field backs it up.
    HUbison and shower beers like this.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Post #29 -- GREAT shot!

J says, "I play every single down -- this is what I'll do this time! And watch out for the next!"

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Fastcat is right about one thing... this game is a game of inches at times. And I would much rather have players who will constantly wrap up and take down the ball carrier than try to make a huge hit, driving his shoulder into the guy as opposed to using his arms to form tackle.

Fastcat, it seems like you would rather that second guy, the hard hitter who will sprint into the ball carrier and try to lay the wood on him. The problem with that method is one, if the running back is lower, the linebacker is more likely to bounce off of him and miss the tackle entirely, and two, the LB is more likely to take a bad angle or more likely to give up lateral agility for hitting power, leading to getting juked, and again, missing a tackle.

No, Laurinaitis doesn't fit the mold of the giant mauler of a MLB. And you know what, he shouldn't. In today's NFL, you can't be a hulk of an MLB and play all three downs. James is a MLB of the new age and his ability to play every defensive snap is proof of that. I'll take a guy who form tackles and actually STOPS the guy after a yard rather than one who is more likely to not make the stop and let the guy keep going! Sacrificing 2 feet most of the time is better than giving up 30 feet some of the time.
    I believe!

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    No,, no, no... Hit, wrap up, and drive the ball carrier back, keep your legs moving at all times. And yes im talking about the 2nd level. I understand you cant win every battle.
    I want the guy to wrap up.... But i say all of this becuase when i played football my coaches drilled it in our heads to initiate the contact, the lowest man always wins and once you hit, you wrap up the ball carrier, stand him up, and drive him back. And drive him in the ground. Im gonna rest my case and just ask everyone to watch a game and pay attention.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat

I want the guy to wrap up.... But i say all of this becuase when i played football my coaches drilled it in our heads to initiate the contact, the lowest man always wins and once you hit, you wrap up the ball carrier, stand him up, and drive him back. And drive him in the ground. Im gonna rest my case and just ask everyone to watch a game and pay attention.
    So what you're saying is that you are the only one who pays attention?

I suppose that's one possibility. Another possibility is that the many people who disagree with you actually do pay attention, and you're just wrong. Its also possible that your experience playing High School football does not make you an authority who is in a position to tell everyone else that they don't know how to interpret what they see on the football field.
    HUbison likes this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I suppose that's one possibility. Another possibility is that the many people who disagree with you actually do pay attention, and you're just wrong. Its also possible that your experience playing High School football does not make you an authority who is in a position to tell everyone else that they don't know how to interpret what they see on the football field.
    Is that what i really said?? Lol, for anyone that never realized what im saying and never paid attention to it, next time you watch a game, pay attention to it. Clear enough for you Avenger?? And i dont believe most have paid attention to what im saying. Like Berg said.... He didnt agree BUT he will be watching next time. And btw, i played college ball too but im not sayng i was as good as JL, if i was i wouldnt be talking to you guys. All i ask is pay attention my evidencee is all on tape. Go back a watch a game. Im done
    Last edited by Fastcat; -02-08-2013 at 12:46 AM.

I've watched many games, and have paid attention. I still disagree with you. Clear enough?

Oh... and I don't care where or when you played.

Torry Holt is online now Registered User

I guess this is a really rare photo, right?
    Yes that pic is really relevant, he is tackling a WR after a catch, not really a running back running at him... Very good argument...

It reminds me a thread i started few weeks ago. I say it again, I like JL and he is a good player. There is not only one person here who thinks JL is a bit weak as MLB. Majority is not always right guys...
    You can't pretend it's always good to just wrap up the guy and bring him down. A big hit can change the game momentum, look at Bernard Pollard hit on Shane Vereen on AFC Championship game.
    I like feared MLB, it can make a WR/TE/RB thinking twice before making a catch over the middle, especially if he takes a big hit few plays before.
    This is not JL style of play and you can just agree with that. He is smart, has good technique, leadership skills, good durability and football IQ. He is not a big hitter, is not fast (not sideline to sideline MLB), not a playmaker and is lacking of strength at point of attack.
    He is not the total package and I think Rams fans over rate him. As fans we generally over rate our players.
    We can win a superbowl with him, but I don't think he is an all pro player. Chris Long is more under rated than Laurinaitis in my opinion.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    Yes that pic is really relevant, he is tackling a WR after a catch, not really a running back running at him... Very good argument...
    Its not an argument, its a photo.

reminds me a thread i started few weeks ago. I say it again, I like JL and he is a good player. There is not only one person here who thinks JL is a bit weak as MLB. Majority is not always right guys...
    You can't pretend it's always good to just wrap up the guy and bring him down. A big hit can change the game momentum, look at Bernard Pollard hit on Shane Vereen on AFC Championship game.
    I like feared MLB, it can make a WR/TE/RB thinking twice before making a catch over the middle, especially if he takes a big hit few plays before.
    This is not JL style of play and you can just agree with that. He is smart, has good technique, leadership skills, good durability and football IQ. He is not a big hitter, is not fast (not sideline to sideline MLB), not a playmaker and is lacking of strength at point of attack.
    He is not the total package and I think Rams fans over rate him. As fans we generally over rate our players.
    We can win a superbowl with him, but I don't think he is an all pro player. Chris Long is more under rated than Laurinaitis in my opinion.
    That's fine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

My point was, don't tell everyone else that they don't pay attention, or claim to know more than everyone because you might have played some organized football.

I agree with you that JL is not a "big hitter," but I disagree with the statement that he's not a playmaker. He gets his share of stuffs, sacks, passes defended, interceptions and tackles that prevent long gains. To me, those are all "big plays."

If, as you suggest, we can win a Super Bowl with him, I don't really care if he ever makes the All Pro Team.

shower beers is offline Registered User

"One thing you might not have known"

The ClanRam's ability to turn any seemingly harmless bit of information into a crazy argument about that player's overall ability.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

look at Bernard Pollard hit on Shane Vereen on AFC Championship game
    look at Michael Crabtree scoring a TD in the Super Bowl because Bernard Pollard didn't wrap up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I suppose that's one possibility. Another possibility is...........you're just wrong.
    I think this is hilarious. Well said.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

citr92 is offline Registered User

if laurinaitis has been playing pass, he's dropping back into coverage....he won't be at the line of scrimmage unless he abandons his job

even if he immediately recognizes the play as a run, he's already on his heels, so he has to shift from backpedaling to sprinting straight ahead...which means precious time was lost already

he made good plays this past season, made a ton of tackles, and played EVERY. SINGLE. SNAP.

some people really don't understand football i guess...

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    ...and played EVERY. SINGLE. SNAP.

some people really don't understand football i guess...
    Too busy eating paper.
    citr92 likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast