Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

One Trial, One Potential Position Change, and Two Safeties

Could those four things be the only things between the Rams and a greatly improved defense? I'm beginning to think so.

For starters, I think there can be some encouragement drawn from the fact that (apart from the Falcon game fiasco) the Rams defense played much better last year towards the end of the year when Travis Fisher returned from injury and Jimmy Kennedy and Tony Hargrove were inserted into the starting lineup.

So, the four factors that will determine next year's defense are:

1. One Trial
    Despite having a somewhat off year, Leonard Little remains the biggest playmaker on the Rams' defense. If he is not available due to the outcome of his upcoming DUI trial, the Rams will probably have to expend a high draft choice in the hope of finding a suitable replacement. If he is available, the starting D Line of Little-Kennedy-Pickett-Hargrove (with D.Lewis backing up both the DE and DT positions) has quite a bit of promise.

2. One Potential Position Change
    All indications seem to be that the proposed move of Pisa Tinoisamoa to SS may be aborted. If that is the case, you have to like the potential of the Rams' LB corps of starters Coakley-Claiborn-Tinoisamoa, and a second team of Thomas-K.Faulk-Chillar.

3. Two Safeties
    While the CB spot is relatively settled with starters Fisher and Butler, the safety positions are in a state of flux. Will Pisa stay at SS? Will Adam Archuleta be healthy and, if so, can he play the FS position, or does he go back to SS with Pisa playing LB? And if that happens, who will the FS be? Will the Rams make a run at Darren Sharper? Will they target a FS in the draft?

The Rams should be able to address these concerns in the coming months. If they do, I look for a much improved defense in 2005.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: One Trial, One Potential Position Change, and Two Safeties

Sometimes the optimists and the positive thinkers are criticized 'just for being'. :bored:

I for one -- make that two -- like these scenarios, Avenger. These possible moves in and outside the Rams gridiron make sense and almost seem to be giving form to a win-win situation for our D, a defence that needed obvious restructuring anyway.

Despite what Coach Marmie needs to prove, so far, I like it this way.

Thanks for the excellent comment.

viper is offline Registered User

I think that about sums it up. My big concern on defense, now that the LB position has been addressed to a large degree, is at free safety. We need to pick up a ball hawk during the off season. How many times over the last several years have we given up 3rd and 25? Too many. It seems to me we even lost a Superbowl to the Patriots that way.

Although, the Little situation is uncertain, I think we have enough bodies there that we could bring in someone from the later rounds of the draft or after June 1st if necessary. If we can tighten up our secondary, keep from consistently giving up the big play, I think we will have a great year. This assumes we get a quality player at RT and some help up front to protect Bulger.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

with D.Lewis backing up both the DE
    This is something that has received some chatter this offseason, but I think it could be more noteworthy than expected. D-Lew has always been billed as an undersized speed rush DT. However, I think he's always been an oversized DE. He's shown flashes on the inside, but nothing consistent. This could be the move that puts him over the hump. Especially with Kennedy and Pickett sucking up blockers, this may be the answer for D-Lew
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

D-Lew contract year

I think D-Lew is actually a 3-4 Defensive End, and is the wrong fit for both defenses (Lovies and Marmie). Is this his contract year or is he under contract for next year also?

Re: D-Lew contract year

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    I think D-Lew is actually a 3-4 Defensive End, and is the wrong fit for both defenses (Lovies and Marmie). Is this his contract year or is he under contract for next year also?
    Sure he'd be a great 3-4 DE, but that doesn't mean he won't be a great 4-3 DE. Think about Charles Grant from the Saints. At 6'3, 290 lbs, in a Lovie defense he would be a speed rushing DT, just like D-Lew. But he plays DE in the Saints 4-3 and does quite well. If D-Lew can trim 5-10 lbs in the offseason, he could be another Charles Grant, IMHO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Charles Grant is a monster. If Lewis could play half as well as Big Charles I'd be happy. Knowing our luck recently D-Lew will have a great December, thus solidfying the fact that the Rams won't be able to sign him next offseason.

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Plus O.P. so we can keep the D off the field long enough to keep fresh

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I prefer to be optimistic,
    don't want to be Judastic,
    while I make this linguistic,
    endeavor.

But I won't be coy,
    in saying when they deploy,
    their metal's a poor alloy, (NiAg)
    (sigh) they're going to be a never.

Nope.

"I see the bad moon arising.
    I see trouble on the way."

Make room in this tomb,
    for this bard of gloom and doom.

The DTs are mediocre,
    but not terrible bad, could be broker,
    As we speak, the LBs are new and weak,
    And the DBs in the back,
    can't be cut no more slack, jack.

The only hope I have for the next season is that the offense / Bulger continue to shine, the defense getting better as the season wears on, AND the Hawks will weaken due to their good peeps movin on. If the Hawks are as strong as they were this season, I think they will walk away from us, as we've walked away from the Scarlet Miners.

Work was really tough today, cut me some slack.

That was pretty good, Coy. Though, I must admit, when I read it I couldn't help but picture Mike Myers' character in "So I Married An Axe Murderer."

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    That was pretty good, Coy. Though, I must admit, when I read it I couldn't help but picture Mike Myers' character in "So I Married An Axe Murderer."
    Woman, woman, woooooooman, she was a thief, you got to believe, she stole my heart and my cat.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Bah! HU beat me to it!

A piper is down!

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    A piper is down!

I don't get it???? :rolleyes:

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Man, how many years are people going to predict great things for Damione Lewis?

He was tried at DE earlier in his career and it was decided that he was performing better at DT when they were experimenting with him.

I've never seen the explosion from the guy. If you watched how Philadelphia's DEF Line played Atlanta compared to us, you'd clearly see that their DEF Line penetrated and caused problems for Atlanta's Backs all day. I know Jimmy Kennedy had a good game late in the season, but Damione Lewis and Kennedy were absolutlely manhandled in the big game against Atlanta. Early and often - all day long.

I think it's unreasonable at this point to expect good things from Damione Lewis.
    He lacks explosion big-time and I think he's on the brink with the Ram's coaches. Those guys are fed up with him and I think he's been exposed as a BUST.

He's had FOUR FULL Years and he has a Grand total of 9 sacks in his NFL career.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-12-2005 at 03:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast