Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Week Left

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

One Week Left

Well, here we are, seven days away from the draft, the week rumors will really start flying (ignore them all if you are smart), as draftniks start furiously doing Mocks 1.0, 2.0 up to 100.0.

The Bills and Eagles became the second team to make a big deal, following that of the Bears in acquiring Jay Cutler. There will no doubt be some more dealing, possibly including Anquan Bolden, but it's doubtful any will involve top five picks.

The Rams have to decide whether either of the two offensive tackles rated at the top are a better bet than linebacker Aaron Curry, if they can't find a trade partner.

But then again, if they are truly building a team for the future, don't they have to decide whether QB MarK Sanchez is a franchise QB? Really, all he has to be is better than the guys coming out in 2010, like Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow.

If those guys are better, then the Rams should wait to take a passer, because if Marc Bulger sucks again, he'll surely be cut. In fact, with no salary cap implications in a non-capped year, Bulger is going to go unlesss he has a Pro Bowl season. The same goes for a ton of NFL stars in the middle of long deals but not playing up to the salaries they will be getting.

If Bulger sucks, so do the Rams, giving them another high pick, and a shot at one of the aforementioned college stars, who probably all would have been #1s in 2009 had they come out early.

If Bulger is great, maybe you keep him around, and if he is just OK, they would probaby still have a shot at one of those three.

Another factor on draft day should be the option of looking for a right tackle in round two, and maybe waiting till next year to possibly replace Alex Barron. There are several offensive tackles coming out in 2010 that are at least as good as the ones in this draft.

If Sanchez or Curry look like they have a huge upside, then you can't really pass on them, can you?

On noon Monday, Rams head coach Steve Spagnolo and GM Billy Devaney will be answering questions from the media, and I may ask some myself.

I won't believe any of the answers though.

Barry Waller

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: One Week Left

Could we see the Rams picking a QB at #2 this year ? What are the chances they are so high on Sanchez or Stafford if the Lions don't grab him, and we've got our QB of the future ?

Thinking long term it would be a nice move. If they do select a QB this year what does that say about the plan to get better quick and win this year ?

What about immediate needs on both lines ?

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

rampower is offline Registered User

I think the draft will show us the motive, draft curry or qb, then obviously we ar more concerned with taking the best player. It would be interesting to see if they wait till next year on OT and just make do for a year. If so, I am still suprised we let Orlando go.

Hence unless denver throw us their 2 picks, all I can see is OT in the first. Spags is a defensive guy though and I would be quite surprised if a defensive player is selected in the first 2 rounds.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm just glad I didn't have to read anything about the Rams drafting a TE.

I stil think we go OT in rd 1, then LB in 2.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    Could we see the Rams picking a QB at #2 this year ? What are the chances they are so high on Sanchez or Stafford if the Lions don't grab him, and we've got our QB of the future ?

Thinking long term it would be a nice move. If they do select a QB this year what does that say about the plan to get better quick and win this year ?

What about immediate needs on both lines ?

Maineram -
    I think they are building a foundation for the future rather than a quick fix,so if drafting Stafford if he drops is the right choice than I am all for it,I don't think it will happen as Detroit HAS to take him,but we really don't know for sure.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I'm just glad I didn't have to read anything about the Rams drafting a TE...
    Awww come on, three more ought to do it!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

A-Web is offline Registered User

These quarterbacks are not in the best player available category in the top 5...the only reason they are so highly ranked is because of the lack of an "elite" quarterback in the draft. As noted by most people, if two guys like Ryan and Flacco were in this draft, these two wouldn't even be 1 rounders. That said, I would honestly believe that this year's quarterbacks are not worth looking into for the Rams. If we were interested in acquiring another quarterback to become "franchise", I would definitely be the advocate of waiting another season for McCoy or Bradford. I cannot say anything about Tebow until I see this next season. I feel that he is returning to NCAA football to prove that he can be a pocket presence and efficient passer without all the scrambling.

The reason I think this, is because he has already proven his talent as a ball carrier, and has already given his school and coach a championship. At this point, all that is left is to get what he deserves, a one way ticket to a starting quarterback postition in the NFL. I think that means we are going to see less run, and more pass this season, and I think Florida's coaches are going to give him all the opportunity he needs to do so. Because he has already given them what they wanted, and now they owe him that much. He deserves a good start to a career, and developing, or at least proving himself as a passer is key at this point.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Rams have to decide whether either of the two offensive tackles rated at the top are a better bet than linebacker Aaron Curry, if they can't find a trade partner.

But then again, if they are truly building a team for the future, don't they have to decide whether QB MarK Sanchez is a franchise QB? Really, all he has to be is better than the guys coming out in 2010, like Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow.
    This is why I haven't commented about the draft, it's too complicated and risky in case we get another bust. (Crouch Ouch!)

As I look at this draft I feel we can't pass up on Curry, which will start giving our defense some dimension. That's where the focus should be, defense!

Sanchez didn't impress me all that much, but Colt did. I watched every USC game last year and believe me Sanchez isn't all that, McCoy is. Tebow is another good prospect. We can add depth to our offensive line, by acquiring some veteran help, we did this in 98-99.'

Shouldn't this thread be in the draft section?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Oh boy, the Tim Tebow 2010 bandwagon is about to load up, you guys better get on early to make sure you have good seats

Note: Lets wait till next offseason to talk about whether or not he will be a good NFL QB.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Sanchez didn't impress me all that much, but Colt did. I watched every USC game last year and believe me Sanchez isn't all that, McCoy is.
    I watched all the SC games too, and I agree that Sanchez is no Carson Palmer. He's more like a Matt Leinart clone. Who knows what the Rams intend to do, but I'd be extremely upset if they took Sanchez with the number 2 pick. IMO it would put the rebuild plan in a very deep hole. Besides, if the OL does not get more talent and more depth, it won't matter who is taking snaps.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    What??? Alot of evaluaters have already said if Sanchez would have stayed another year he would be the #1 pick over McCoy and Bradford, so to say he's not an elite QB is just innaccurate. Also there is no way Ryan/Flacco would have pushed either of these QB's into the 2nd round, if anything it would have pushed Flacco into the 2nd.
    I agree,Flacco would not have been picked ahead of Sanchez or Stafford.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You lost me at Tebow.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Haha Avenger. By the way, on the topic, I never added any enthusiasm to my mention of Tebow. Just noted that he gave his school a Championship, and he has to prove to the world that he can be a pocket passer. He could be a great QB, but he has to prove that in college and then in the NFL as well.

As for Sanchez passing the other QBs if he would have stayed in college...Let's see USC prove they could have supported it and helped his case. They were a team on a peak last season, and I don't see it getting anywhere close this year. I think there was a reason he left when he did, and that was because there was nothing left. He went to the draft because there wasn't any QB competition in the draft. He can rest assured that Stafford will be picked before him, but he is "NEXT" after that. Next season, he would be sitting until round 2, if not day 2.

Based on skill and my own predictions, Colt McCoy will be the first QB taken next season. I would predict exactly which pick, but I don't know what team will be at the bottom. I would hope that he doesn't go early, because I would like us to get a look at him at some point in the draft. (I am also predicting we do not suck quite as bad as we have the last 2 seasons)

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I'm never a fan of QB's that come from big schools that roll over competition. I think there's too big of a disconnect from winning all the time in college to grinding it out in the NFL.
    Carson Palmer is the only name that immediately pops into my mind, and he couldn't win with the likes of Housh and Ocho Cinco. To expect a highly touted guy like Sanchez or Stafford, maybe even McCoy next year to come in and make a difference is just crazy to me.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

I would like to see the Rams go after Curry. Mark Sanchez alot of hype, not much experience.
    Carson Palmer couldn't stay healthy enough to win with Housh and he despies Ocho Cinco.
    Not high on any QBs coming out this year.
    Rams be creative, go Curry!
    Last edited by dgr828; -04-19-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast