Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Opinion: Gregg Williams should get a second chance ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Opinion: Gregg Williams should get a second chance ..

From The Redzone:

4/20/2012

Now that disgraced defensive coordinator is looking into avenues for reinstatement to the NFL, many voices have called for his suspension to be extended to a lifetime ban and some pundits even look at his actions as criminal. LZ Granderson, senior writer for ESPN the Magazine, disagrees and feels that Williams should not have to wait longer than a year given the precedent set by transgressions we all can agree are worse than bounties.

For example, in March 2009 Donte' Stallworth got drunk, got in his car and hit a pedestrian, killing him. He was convicted of manslaughter and was suspended by the league … but not for long. He was reinstated after missing a season and signed with the Ravens. He has a lifetime suspension of his Florida driver's license but in March he signed as a free agent with the New England Patriots.

Or look at Houston's Brian Cushing, who was named the 2009 defensive rookie of the year. He was busted for having a performance-enhancement drug in his system and was suspended … but not for long. Four games is all that getting caught cheating cost him, and he kept the award.

What about Michael Vick? Killing dogs and going to prison. Now he is the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles.

In light of these examples, why in the world would anyone think Williams will never work in the NFL again? That DUI manslaughter can be forgiven but for some reason bounties are the great unforgivable sin?

The audio of Williams is disturbing but not entirely surprising. Sometimes guys in the pile at the end of plays will spit, bite, pull, kick, knee, elbow … and that's at the high school level. The nickname for 2005 defensive rookie player of the year Shawne Merriman is "Lights Out." It is a declaration of intent to injure, and efforts to suggest otherwise are just feeble attempts to justify our love for something that is fairly barbaric.

Williams didn't invent boundaries and he didn't issue them in empty rooms to hostile audiences. As one of his former players reportedly said, "Gregg's not the only one who has done stuff like this, but he's the one who got caught."

Williams does not need sensitivity training. He has already apologized and did not challenge his suspension, unlike his boss Sean Payton. Let him sit for a year and come back at the same time as Payton, who didn't start the bounty program but knew all about it.

If there's room in the league for players who get 'roided up before they go out to try to destroy each other, if there's room for players arrested for domestic assault multiple times, if there's room for a guy who got drunk and ran somebody over, I think there's room for a defensive coordinator who reportedly put $15,000 on Brad Johnson's head. Especially since no one in that room stood up and said "Coach, this is wrong."

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Opinion: Gregg Williams should get a second chance ..

I think that Williams probably will get another chance. My only concern at this point, is whether or not his presence on our coaching staff would bring undo attention from the game officials. That's certainly something that this team does not need at this time. Might a Williams coached defense bring significantly more scrutiny? We're trying to develop a more confident, aggressive defense. The scrutiny might just stunt that development.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

He had his second chance. He was warned more than once to stop the bounty and did not.

In my opinion, he's gotten more chances than he deserves.

No.
    GoSTLRams likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Not often I disagree with RFRH.

Yes, he should.

And he will.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Most likely he will. I think he should, considering how players get a 2nd, 3rd, etc., chance. It should also be interesting to see how GW succeeds as a defensive coordinator thereafter.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Everybody deserves a second chance. No matter how stupid they have been in the past.!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Stallworths a great example.

Idc if it was off the field he still killed a human being and was reinstated after only onr season.

Idk how you can justify that while calling for a lifetime ban for Williams.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    He had his second chance. He was warned more than once to stop the bounty and did not.

In my opinion, he's gotten more chances than he deserves.

No.
    Weren't Payton and Loomis told to stop it? Why do they get the second chance?
    Last edited by tomahawk247; -04-23-2012 at 05:36 AM.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Redzone, 4/20/2012 View Post

If there's room in the league for players who get 'roided up before they go out to try to destroy each other, if there's room for players arrested for domestic assault multiple times, if there's room for a guy who got drunk and ran somebody over, I think there's room for a defensive coordinator who reportedly put $15,000 on Brad Johnson's head.
    I get it. We're a nation of redemption. A bearer of second chances. Get baptized and absolve all your sins. But we've also gotten to this place because no one seems willing to draw a line in the sand and say here and no more.

No, he shouldn't get a second chance. Yes, he probably will.

Is there pervasive hypocrisy throughout this? Yes. Is there maddening inconsistency in the process? Yes. But that doesn't excuse the bad behavior of leaders. Leaders have gotten a pass for far too long. Will running him out of the league change much of anything? A cynic would say no.

But when we've gotten to a state of affairs where bosses are perfectly keen in doing their interns without ethical qualms, transferring abusive priests, legislators trading on inside info why should we care about a silly bounty system. Hell, everyone still got paid their inflated salaries.

Enough with the 2nd chances. Too many people still refuse to learn from the 2nd chances given others. The rehabilitation system is broken and has been for a long time.

He shouldn't be given a 2nd chance. And neither should the others of bad behavior. But they probably will. And so it goes, the never-ending story of failure to learn from OUR mistakes ...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    I get it. We're a nation of redemption. A bearer of second chances. Get baptized and absolve all your sins. But we've also gotten to this place because no one seems willing to draw a line in the sand and say here and no more.

Is there pervasive hypocrisy throughout this? Yes. Is there maddening inconsistency in the process? Yes. But that doesn't excuse the bad behavior of leaders. Leaders have gotten a pass for far too long. Will running him out of the league change much of anything? A cynic would say no.

But when we've gotten to a state of affairs where bosses are perfectly keen in doing their interns without ethical qualms, transferring abusive priests, legislators trading on inside info why should we care about a silly bounty system. Hell, everyone still got paid their inflated salaries.

Enough with the 2nd chances. Too many people still refuse to learn from the 2nd chances given others. The rehabilitation system is broken and has been for a long time.

He shouldn't be given a 2nd chance. And neither should the others of bad behavior. But they probably will. And so it goes, the never-ending story of failure to learn from OUR mistakes ...

Can't say I disagree with much of what you said. While a chance for redemption is essential, 3rd and 4th chances become ridiculous for people who just don't seem to get it. And as long as a guy has a talent, there will always be an owner who will put his ethics in his back pocket and sign a guy he thinks could help his team. Sad but true.

The problem I have with this whole thing is that Gregg Williams has become the poster boy for violence in football when we all know damn well that similar tactics have been used in locker rooms across the NFL. To me, Williams actions were certainly wrong and he failed miserably at demonstrating the kind of leadership necessary in a coach. But they do not warrant a lifetime ban- not when you have firearm violators, spousal abusers and guys who have killed animals and people in this league.

I wonder how many people calling for Williams' head voiced daily and vociferous outrage each time Leonard Little suited up for the Rams?
    MauiRam and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

There is no doubt that he will be back next season. The NFL wants to see you:

#1 -- Show Remorse

#2 -- Behave during the suspension

#3 -- Do some positive things while you are gone

#4 -- Ask for forgivness

#5 -- Come back on their terms

There will be little doubt that he will be allowed back next season, and put on a probationary period for 2 years or so.....

If the Rams do great without him or find someone else -- he may not be needed....plus he lost a ton of money already

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian
    One could say he has already had his 2nd chance when the league told the Saints to knock it off, and they, in essence, refused.
    Will running him out of the league change much of anything? A cynic would say no.
    And the cynic would be right.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Everybody deserves a second chance. No matter how stupid they have been in the past.!
    "Really? Cool!"

--Charles Manson
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    "Really? Cool!"

--Charles Manson
    Within reason

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    One could say he has already had his 2nd chance when the league told the Saints to knock it off, and they, in essence, refused.
    Not sure what constitutes a second chance, but this comes directly from the source:

"I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the ‘pay for performance’ program while I was with the Saints,” Williams said. “It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast