RamWraith is offline Registered User

Optimistic defense faces “great test” vs. Eagles

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Rams’ first-team defense rebounded nicely after a shaky showing in the preseason opener at Tennessee. It yielded just two field goals vs. the Chargers and then a single 3-pointer vs. the Ravens. (The starters didn’t play last Thursday at KC.)

Still, the unit has much to prove after finishing 21st in total defense and giving up more points than just one team in 2007, cautioned linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa. “We can say we’re a lot better than last year, but until we go out there and prove that, it’s not going to count,” he said.

The first chance for the defense to bulk up its credibility comes Sunday in Philly against an Eagles offense that finished sixth in the league in total yards last year.

“It’s a great test for us,” Tinoisamoa said. “You have (running back) Brian Westbrook back there, and he’s one of the finest in the league, not only running the ball but catching the ball as well.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

>>WR Donnie Avery sat out practice again Wednesday and looks very iffy for Sunday.

>>Though he’s practiced just once with the Rams, newly acquired special-teams vet Gary Stills will be ready for a busy day vs. the Eagles. “It’s not really a big adjustment,” said Stills, who was released by the Ravens. “The technique is pretty much the same. The number counts are different, but it’s special teams. You’ve just got to run and react.”

>>After a two-week crash course, ex-holdout Steven Jackson “is ready to go,” coach Scott Linehan reported. “He looks like his old self to me. I’m excited about the kind of game he’s going to have.”

>>Comparing Torry Holt now to his state at this juncture in 2007 is “night and day,” Linehan said. Holt fought knee problems most of last year, but has been frisky since the opening of training camp. “I just really see a rejuvenated guy . . . with a very focused attitude on what needs to be done,” Linehan said.

>>S Brannon Condren, picked up after being cut by the Colts, was a walk-on at Troy (Ala.) University.

>>Condren is wearing No. 42 and Stills No. 55. CB Ricky Manning Jr., the other recent acquisition, has No. 27.

All for now . . .

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Optimistic defense faces “great test” vs. Eagles

The Colts hold onto their good players... I hope Condren's one that slipped through their fingers.

The injuries to the WR's should help the defense key in on Westbrook, and this could be the best matchup for Tye Hill all year in Desean Jackson. A rookie who's as fast as him but not adjusted to the NFL yet. Hope he has a good game. Hope that McNabb doesn't.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

this could be the best matchup for Tye Hill all year in Desean Jackson
    Not to mention with those two guys, the fly pattern could be renamed the yellow brick road..........Hill (5'9"), Jackson (5'9").

Weeeeee're off to see the wizard....
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm excited to see this game. (If I get it of course). But the game will be containing Westbrook, and they're only going to do the same thing on Jackson.

eldfan is offline Registered User

>>"WR Donnie Avery sat out practice again Wednesday and looks very iffy for Sunday".

Man I am getting a bad feeling about this guy.
    :ramlogo:

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    >>"WR Donnie Avery sat out practice again Wednesday and looks very iffy for Sunday".

Man I am getting a bad feeling about this guy.
    Can you say Trung Canidate?

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

After watching Brandon Jacobs with the Giants, I think our real test will be how we handle the Giants O'line and Jacobs. He's a beast.

We have one of our own, but they've got a proven defense against the run. Clinton Portis couldn't get anything going against the G-Men.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    After watching Brandon Jacobs with the Giants, I think our real test will be how we handle the Giants O'line and Jacobs. He's a beast.

We have one of our own, but they've got a proven defense against the run. Clinton Portis couldn't get anything going against the G-Men.
    No doubt about it, renrawtruk! Jacobs was a human wrecking ball! He absolutely DEMOLISHED Redskins safety, LaRon Landry! And the Giants defense looked impressive. That being said, i hope and expect that the Rams are only thinking about one opponent right now. The Eagles!

RAM ON!

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

If we can put the hurt on Westbrook early, our chances in the win bracket will be greater. We are healthy on D and that makes a huge difference.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree with Rammer, therefore, I propose we use the Cheatriots Super Bowl 36 strategy! If Westbrook is in the game, he gets mauled every single play.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I agree with Rammer, therefore, I propose we use the Cheatriots Super Bowl 36 strategy! If Westbrook is in the game, he gets mauled every single play.
    Translation: Tackle him before he can get out of the backfield whether he has the ball or not .. Right??

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    If we can put the hurt on Westbrook early, our chances in the win bracket will be greater. We are healthy on D and that makes a huge difference.
    Sorry, I'm just not confident. Until I see otherwise, I will expect the same defense we saw last year. Giving up big plays and really just inconsistent. What difference does it make if the Rams defense is healthy, if they suck?

I guess that's how I look at it. However, I want nothing more than to be SHOCKED and to see our defense actually play some.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    Sorry, I'm just not confident. Until I see otherwise, I will expect the same defense we saw last year. Giving up big plays and really just inconsistent. What difference does it make if the Rams defense is healthy, if they suck?

I guess that's how I look at it. However, I want nothing more than to be SHOCKED and to see our defense actually play some.
    confidence grasshopper, confidence.