Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: OPTIMISTIC, And Why Not?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

OPTIMISTIC, And Why Not?

Sure, it's some fans only pleasure so it seems, to point out how optimism about one's team is often just pie in the sky, rose colored glasses thinking, not as valid as their wait and see, or" show me" take on the world.

The thing is, many times those naysayers are wrong, like those predicting a dismal finish in 1999, that would finally lead to the end of old Dick Vermeil and his outdated ideas about football.

Those of us pointing out the additions the team made as a reason for a lot of hope, got shot down as a waste of time to even listen to, This despite the addition of a world class running back, still in his prime, and a great offensive coodinator, known well from his time making Ike Bruce a star as receivers coach, plus what looked to be a second superstar receiver, a great CB/PRer, a potentially starting TE, and others in the draft.

That was after adding one of the best linemen in free agency, as well as a starting QB, and other additional added talent, and the return to health of some others.

Also after Charlie Armey, a guy known to be a team builder excellance, had had a couple years to do his magic on a roster.

So who enjoyed 1999 more, those naysayers, who till Mike Jones made that great play, thought the Rams were a flash in the pan, a fluke? I'm sure when Trent Green went down, THEY threw in the towel, scorning the Rams for just going with an unknown, which surely meant another losing season.

When you look at the roster that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead started with, and see what they have done, and what Snead has been able to do on draft day, seen up close and personal by the media, so we know how it all went down for real, I can't see how anyone could not be optimistic, unless the just can't ever be, which is very sad. Hope they aren't Cubs fans.

The Rams started with two really good DE, a MLB, and two safeties on defense, and a QB, RB, two just OK WR, one young TE, two decent OL, and that's IT, as close to an expansion team as one could get.

They didn't even have a kicker or punter, let alone a sure return guy they could count on.

They had 7 draft picks, one very early, and a team that no one felt could attract any free agent who didn't have a personal relationship with Jeff Fisher.

Now THAT was reason for pessimism, imagining a rookie punter and kicker, among all the other stuff.

Now, with another two first rounder draft still to come, the Rams have no old guys, and no real key young ones up for new deals. The only loss was Jackson, but he qualifies as an old guy anyway, because of the position he plays, and two average safeties, plus a couple receivers destined to be replaced.

They have added via draft or FA:

2 Pro Bowl caliber CB, and a very good nickel back &1 talented rookie
    1 really good young OLB, and another who could be a superstar
    2 starting DT, one of whom has big upside
    1 Really solid third DE, maybe the best #3 in the NFL
    A truly gifted K and P
    1 Pro Bowl LT in his prime
    1 solid center, and a gifted young rookie backup
    2 solid backup OL who could start
    1 huge young starting guard
    4 Immensely talented and productive college receivers, one who is a great returner
    4 Young running backs, all with different skills that compliment one another.
    1 Starting TE with tremendous physical gifts
    1 Starting caliber SS
    1 Young backup QB

That's at least 26 upgrades, in just two years, and they still could sign another veteran or two.

Now, you tell me, even not adding a year in a system and coaching staff, and Jeff Fisher as a coach, along with so many of his top assistants, all of whom are thought of as among the best at what they do, how would one NOT be optimistic?

At the very least, Rams fans will have a very exciting team to watch grow together, and isn't that what this is really all about, loving sports?

If it is only winning it all, then the Seahawks fans should be really down. They've never won it, and I bet they burn out on the over zealous Pete Carrolll before they ever do.

If winning it all is all that matters, then every team sucks every year , except one, at least according to some fans, who should find another hobby.

Many are college fans, used to year after year of domination, and coaches getting fired for only going 10-2.

The NFL game is far different, as is the level of competition, as is the parity sought by the league by the unbalanced schedules and the draft order, as well as the salary cap.

I find it amusing that a team like the Giants gets a pass when they miss the playoffs due to injuries, but an acsending team's coach is on the hot seat when the same fate befell his young team. Fans just don't ever seem to get it, and probably never will, by definition, as fan means fanatic, and fanatics are never rational, by defiition.

Looking at all these obvious positives already, with more to come, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy this ride from the start.
    Last edited by Barry Waller; -05-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    live4ramin, MauiRam and Tampa_Ram like this.

Barry Waller

R.Gabriel is offline Registered User

Re: OPTIMISTIC, And Why Not?

Very well stated. This ride will be a "E" Ticket (for those who are old enough to remember what that was.)

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gabriel View Post
    Very well stated. This ride will be a "E" Ticket (for those who are old enough to remember what that was.)
    I am - and it will be.
    Great post, Barry.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Randart is offline Registered User

Speaking of Oldies... in the 80's there was this band, Novo Combo they did a really awesome song called City Bound (E' Train). So we will ride the E' Train all the way to the Super Bowl! Guess we could change the lyric to Super Bowl Bound! LOL

Nice Thread BW, I enjoyed it alot!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barry, thanks for sharing, great article. I was wondering why you mention only one tight end. Not a fan of Kendricks?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Barry, thanks for sharing, great article. I was wondering why you mention only one tight end. Not a fan of Kendricks?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I think he is referring to players signed or drafted by Snead/Fisher. Kendricks was drafted by the previous regime.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

general counsel is offline Registered User

Good point Mr. Dude. Thanks for ending my "State of Confusion" on that topic.

ramming speed to all

general counsel