MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Orien Harris ...

Mosher: Newark's Harris hopes St. Louis isn't just a stop
    AROUND THE NFL • By GEOFF MOSHER • May 10, 2009

Orien Harris doesn't mind the constant packing up and moving out. That's life in the NFL.

But he'd eventually like to find a place to call home, and that's what the Newark native is hoping for in his most recent stop.

Harris, a defensive tackle, is headed to St. Louis to help the Rams' rebuilding effort after the Bengals dealt him for former Rutgers running back Brian Leonard.

For Harris, it's his fifth different team since the Steelers drafted him in 2006 out of the University of Miami in the fourth round.

He also played for the Saints, Bills and Browns, though he didn't suit up for any of those teams and didn't play his first NFL game until last season with Cincinnati.

"It always feels good to be wanted," Harris said from his cell phone recently.

Hours after the trade, Harris still didn't know much about the team he's about to join. He wasn't familiar with the Rams' roster. He didn't even know the team's minicamp schedule or where he's supposed to report.

But he had spoken with new Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney. Spagnuolo's reputation for moving around linemen to create mismatches and get after the quarterback gave Harris reasons for optimism.

"I'm real excited, you know," he said. "I've talked to him. I've seen what he's done to his teams. It's a blessing. It's always good when you're wanted. They really showed an interest in me, and I'm happy about that."

Harris, of course, will have to impress the team at training camp to compete for playing time. He's not bothered by the revolving door that keeps ushering him from city to city, but he'd like to find a permanent home someday.

"It all makes it more sweeter at the end," he said. "It's all worthwhile at the end. It's tough starting over all the time, but you got to do what you got to do."

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Re: Orien Harris ...

i guess that can suck. I hope maybe hes a sleeper, Kind of like how La'Roi Glover was, coming out of NFL Europe.

This guy is huge and with good coaching and the right attitude maybe this coming in at 6'3 300 lbs. can be the guy that can clog the middle.

Im hopping for huge things from this team. go rams.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Know one is more happy to have this guy than me. DT has been one of this teams biggest needs for a long time now and I'll take any help we can get.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is the best situation yet for Orien, given that the Rams are not exactly deep at defensive tackle. It isn't as if he'll be buried on the depth chart behind far more talented players; therefore he has a legit shot at making the final roster. He's still young, yet at the same time he possesses some NFL level playing experience. Harris knows this is likely a make or break scenario at this stage in his career, and will give it his all. This is yet another good move by our new regime .. It will be interesting to see which jersey number Orien ends up with, as he is currently listed #95 on the Rams' roster -- the same number assigned to Clifton Ryan ..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    This is the best situation yet for Orien, given that the Rams are not exactly deep at defensive tackle. It isn't as if he'll be buried on the depth chart behind far more talented players; therefore he has a legit shot at making the final roster. He's still young, yet at the same time he possesses some NFL level playing experience. Harris knows this is likely a make or break scenario at this stage in his career, and will give it his all. This is yet another good move by our new regime .. It will be interesting to see which jersey number Orien ends up with, as he is currently listed #95 on the Rams' roster -- the same number assigned to Clifton Ryan ..
    I happy to read that we've brought in some depth at the DT position. I just wish it didn't cost us Brian "leaping" Leonard.