Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Pace

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Orlando Pace

Did anyone else see him during the pre-season game! That's awesome that Orlando Pace is doing work with St Louis as a broadcaster. its kind of funny to see a 6'5+ person interview someone because they tower over them. for the most part i thought he did a great job.

Also..........................

Is Orlando Pace one the best players to play for the Rams? And would he be put as first ballot Hall of Famer and would you want St. Louis to retire his number?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Orlando Pace

It was fun to see him in The ED again.Always a fav of mine. I smile every time I remember that oft-printed photo of his big baby moon face in a Rams helmet when he first came up.

I think he's an all-time great & eventual HOFer but I'm not sure about first ballot. A relatively short career might hurt his chances with non-Ram fan voters.It's not like OTs can rack up stats like DEs or offensive skill players. I think longevity factors in a bit regarding his standing as a Ram as well. Was he a better player than Slater based on talent alone? Probably but nowhere near as great a Ram,imo, because of Slater's amazing durability.

Not a big fan of retiring numbers but I would find it hard to argue against in his case.

It was nice to see him but its obvious that he has a LOT to learn when it comes to comentery and interviews

RealRam is offline Registered User

Sorry I missed seing OP (well, wait -- I didn't get to see the game either).

Definitely one of our best OTs but I've always thought he'd be on the wrong side of borderline making the HOF. Almost ... but not quite. And if he would be considered, first ballot is unlikely for the big man.

Retiring his jersey number? That would be difficult. I don't think it will happen.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about that. 7-time pro bowler, Superbowl winner, blocked for three straight NFL MVPs. I reckon he could be in the HOF. Not sure about first ballot, but he could be

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i will always love OP but he seemed very awkward with the mic in his hand..especially when talking to Fred.
    i think maybe he would be better suited to the role of answering questions rather than asking them.

as for retiring numbers..i really don`t like that..in football/soccer or in rugby..you get kids who dream about one day wearing the number of their heroes.
    we have retired a lot of numbers already,Pace is as deserving as the others,but i don`t even know how that would work as we`ve got our current great LT wearing his old number.

Pace should be a Hall of Famer. being an O-lineman will possibly delay his induction for a few years after he qualifies tho!
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -08-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

First ballot HOF, no... should he get in? Yeah, though even I have to admit that he was the third best in his generation/era. Jonathan Odgen and Walter Jones get much more publicity as being and probably were the two fighting for the best left tackle in the late 90's/early 2000's. Pace was an all-pro who would be a lock if not being at the same time as those two. Remember, both of them won super bowls and blocked for MVP's as well. It'll take a while to get Pace in.
    I believe!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Remember, both of them won super bowls and blocked for MVP's as well. It'll take a while to get Pace in.
    Walter Jones never won a Superbowl.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Sorry, my mistake. You are quite correct, sir!
    I believe!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Pretty much agree with everyone here. I was afraid I'd be the first to say he probably won't make the HOF, but that's why ClanRam is great - most people are knowledgeable enough to be objective even about our beloved Rams.

He'll have a tough time beating out Jonathan Ogden and Walter Jones. Is he HOF material? Most definitely. But the HOF can only let so many players in at once, especially at one position. Same reason WRs have such a tough time nowadays.

As far as retiring numbers, I'm not a big fan of that, so I can't say whether it's appropriate for Pace. Say the NFL goes on for 100 more years - how many jerseys are they going to retire over that span? Is there going to be some copyright rule that expires after 100? You'll run out of numbers eventually.

Anyway, Pace was gracious about letting Saffold use his #76, so I doubt he cares much, either.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Pretty much agree with everyone here. I was afraid I'd be the first to say he probably won't make the HOF, but that's why ClanRam is great - most people are knowledgeable enough to be objective even about our beloved Rams.

He'll have a tough time beating out Jonathan Ogden and Walter Jones. Is he HOF material? Most definitely. But the HOF can only let so many players in at once, especially at one position. Same reason WRs have such a tough time nowadays.

As far as retiring numbers, I'm not a big fan of that, so I can't say whether it's appropriate for Pace. Say the NFL goes on for 100 more years - how many jerseys are they going to retire over that span? Is there going to be some copyright rule that expires after 100? You'll run out of numbers eventually.

Anyway, Pace was gracious about letting Saffold use his #76, so I doubt he cares much, either.
    I dont want to see another player in Rams history wear #39.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I dont want to see another player in Rams history wear #39.
    The way I look at it, if you're going to wear that player's number, you'd better live up to it, or at least not embarrass it. It can be sort of a challenge to the players who dare take a well-known number.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Although played different position, Pace tenure does not compare well to Dennis Harrah, another Ram great (6 Pro Bowls, 6 time team captain, 12 years of service) that has not made HOF. I do not see Pacce getting in.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I was shocked to see him! I'm happy he's still involved with this organization.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Good to see Pace, and still being part of the Rams-family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast