Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

As others see us

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Friday, Nov. 04 2005

David J. Neal, Miami Herald, on Mike Martz:

"When Martz reins himself in just a bit, he's perhaps the best NFL offensive
    mind since Bill Walsh. So if the Rams want to kiss goodbye the coach most
    responsible for their return to relevancy, let Martz go make some other offense
    entertainingly dangerous.

"Several franchises wait, too. After being a head coach, it's not in Martz's
    nature to step back. Too bad. As a head coach, he's a miscast offensive
    coordinator. ... Wherever, Martz will be back in the NFL. The Rams, a franchise
    that has had three or four of the most spectacular offensive eras ever, will go
    back to blending into the NFL masses. And they'll wish Mike Martz were on their
    sideline again, outsmarting every Tom, Dick and Mike in the house."

Add two more names to the list of potential replacements for Martz: New York
    Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and Buffalo Bills defensive
    coordinator Jerry Gray. ...

I asked Rams president John Shaw if he was surprised by how well Joe Vitt had
    taken to the interim head coach job after spending 26 seasons as an NFL
    assistant. "I have to tell you I had never sensed it was in him, and I am
    pleasantly surprised," Shaw said. "It's impossible not to like Joe. He's down
    to earth, straightforward, a really tremendous guy. I think I've known him for
    15 years. He's a pleasure to be around, and the players like him. He's one of
    those type of tough-leader individuals. It's strange. You never see certain
    individuals as a head coach. Maybe because they get labeled a certain way. So I
    never saw Joe in that light. But when Mike got sick and suggested Joe, I wasn't
    so sure. I have to say that Mike's selection has worked out really well for us.
    I hope we can sustain it."

Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt tells us the team is actually
    $3.2 million under the salary cap for 2005. Earlier, Shaw estimated that the
    team was $3.8 million under. ...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: As others see us

So if the Rams want to kiss goodbye the coach most
    responsible for their return to relevancy, let Martz go make some other offense
    entertainingly dangerous.
    I hope not for two reasons:
    1. Most importantly, I don't think a return to NFL coaching would be in his best interest health-wise.
    2. I don't want to face a Martz offense with our defense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Angry Re: As others see us

Martz has become ,like most genius minds, an enemy to himself. He has outsmarted himself. I mean who in pop warner or high school did not draw up that unbeatable play. Most of us realized though that everything had to be perfect to execute these plays. I mean these long developing plays are killing his QB's. If he gos back to the quick slants and reverses instead of these BS 7 step takes 5 minute to develop plays I would love him back. He has outsmarted himself on more then one occasion causing the Rams to falter. He just is to proud to admit things need to change. The GSOT has been done and everyone knows it. The Rams are not fooling anyone. Stephen jackson does not have the receiver ability Faulk did. The line is not as tough as it was in 99. Vermeil is not here anymore to balance the rest of the team while Martz focuses on one thing.

Martz took a potential Dynasty and flushed it down the drain with pride. To many wasted picks on quick where are they now guys instead of realizing the defence was all leaving him. Oh there go's fletcher. Anyone seen Mcleon I swear he was around here some where. Bly, Bly cmon man where you at. Wistron whos that/oh yeah the funny looking guy with the blonde fro. Now its too late he has let the defence become ****e and the offence become stagnant. I say good riddance I hope he makes a full recovery and ends up coaching the Whiners or Arizona let him destroy them like he destroyed the Rams. :tongue:
    LET'S GO DODGERS

The Rams, a franchise
    that has had three or four of the most spectacular offensive eras ever, will go
    back to blending into the NFL masses. And they'll wish Mike Martz were on their
    sideline again, outsmarting every Tom, Dick and Mike in the house."
    I guess they dont show Rams games in Miami because it has been awhile since Mike outsmarted anyone.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

So Martz decided all those players should go. It had nothing to do with the salary cap or the FO? I guess we should have let Orlando go and keep Wistrom. I guess DE are hard to come by and pro bowl caliber LT are a dime a dozen.....

If it was that easy we would have all those players still on our team. Unfortunately, it's not that simple and that is why many teams struggle when rebuilding on one side of the ball be it offense or defense.

Not sure how anyone can say Martz offense played poor this year. The Rams have and continue to put up points. The defense is the biggest weakness on this team and the offense has been playing from behind in the majority of this years games....

If the Rams get an outstanding DC who can coach young players then the Rams become a serious contender. Just look at what the Rams did when Lovie was here.

The marriage of Martz and a talented DC spells trouble for the rest of the league....

Unfortunately, the current DC has struggle and so did the Rams.....

How can anyone say Martz has been outcoached???? Just ask the league of coaches to evaluate him. I am sure he's in the top 5 coaches that other coaches hate to see on the other sideline on Sunday......

How can anyone say Martz has been outcoached????
    Like this, Martz has been outcoached. Not too hard to say. The niner game outcoached big time. Was down so big made the team one dimensional with the pass. Something he likes to do even when they dont have too.
    Giants game outcoached again. Seahawks game did not force Marmie to make the defensive adjustments needed outcoached again. Remember he is responsible for this team. If the defence is not getting the job done he needs to say something and make sure the job gets done.

Patriots Super Bowl totally outcoahed. Just plain dropped the ball. People could talk about the officiating all they want but you dont give the Nfl offensive player of the year the ball???? Stupid.

Carolina Playoffs, What a joke that was. Totally out coached had a position to win wussed out cost the Rams the win. Also let Sehorn be the deep protection on a long third down play how dumb is that. I would have been all over Lovie not to let that happen.

Squib kick with a porous defence with over 1 minute to play and facing a great FG kicker. Last years bash anyone remeber vs the saints. Those are just a few.

People talk about his win pct like it is gold, well it has started to diminish and he has never shown he could win the big game. He is like Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde one min looks brilliant the next looks terrible. I really beleive he has no idea how to run both sides of the ball which is extremely important that is why he will never be a Bellecheck, a Parcells, A Bill Walsh, or a Vince Lombardi . Those guys understood that a stout defence is the only way your good offence is gonna come through every game.

If the Rams get an outstanding DC who can coach young players then the Rams become a serious contender. Just look at what the Rams did when Lovie was here.

The marriage of Martz and a talented DC spells trouble for the rest of the league....

Unfortunately, the current DC has struggle and so did the Rams.....
    Yeah but Martz trust his friends to get it done instead of hiring a smart new age defensive coach.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Rambos is offline Registered User

never shown he could win the big game
    How do you get to the SB without winning a big game?

How do you get to the SB without winning a big game?
    I would rather never get there at all then lose the way the Rams did that year. I would not say destroying a weak Greenbay team at the dome then beating the choke happy Eagles at the dome huge wins for Mikey.
    When he got to the big show he choked and has gotten worse every year since.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime
    I would rather never get there at all then lose the way the Rams did that year. I would not say destroying a weak Greenbay team at the dome then beating the choke happy Eagles at the dome huge wins for Mikey.
    OMG, the 90's must have been heaven for you with all that not going to playoffs and all. Good thing the Rams lost so much then, otherwise they might have had to go to the postseason and maybe lose a super bowl.......wouldn't want that. :drunk:

Any playoff win is a big game, especially a conference championship.

I swear, you win 1 super bowl, and all of a sudden the fans get spoiled.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime
    i hope you wake up from your drunken stupor and retract this statement.

i hope you wake up from your drunken stupor and retract this statement.
    I think making it the Super Bowl and losing to an inferior team is emberassing. Having your coach call one of the worst games ever and watching Marshall not get the ball sucked. That game was one of the most emberassing games I have ever witnessed.

OMG, the 90's must have been heaven for you with all that not going to playoffs and all. Good thing the Rams lost so much then, otherwise they might have had to go to the postseason and maybe lose a super bowl.......wouldn't want that.
    During the 90's most of it anyways the Rams had terrible teams and no coaching. Its not that I expect the Rams to win every year it is that I expect them to use their tools in a manor that sets up victory. If all the tools were utilized I would have no complaint. Martz has become very poor at using his teams strengths to win. Instead of trying to force the ball down field use the quick routes that the Rams receivers are so good at. He knows how to win it just seems in the biggest games he chokes. His ego has taken over and he is convinced that he is always making the right decisions.

Your sarcasm is thick yet boring. There is not enough subtle humor in it. If you wanna rehash waynes world humor try another clan member maybe they will appreciate it.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -11-08-2005 at 02:37 AM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

I think making it the Super Bowl and losing to an inferior team is emberassing.
    No, that is disappointing. Having a "fan" wish the Rams would not go to the super bowl instead of losing it is embarassing.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

No, that is disappointing. Having a "fan" wish the Rams would not go to the super bowl instead of losing it is embarassing.
    To you it was dissapointing to me it was emberassing.When the Rams lost to the Steelers was that emberassing? No the Rams were not even supposed to be there according to alot of people. They came and played their hardest and lost to a better team. That super bowl loss ruined Martz as it did Warner. He made the playoffs and had some division titles but got outcoached in the playoffs.

Having a fan that is not intelligent enough to let go of a coach that has run his course is emberassing.Martz cannot run a team in the way others can. Let him sit in a booth and call plays thats is what he is best at..

I saw your little pats comparrison that would be funny if it was at all relevant. Lets see 3 Super Bowl victories since the new millenium. Getting it done despite injuries. Utilizing every weapon the team has. Finally the injury bug has stepped up and really bit that team in the a$$.
    But to compare their situation to ours apples and pineapples. Look at their run too. They did not always dominate games they scraped it together just enough to win and very rarelly in a loss did they get blown out. That is all indicative of good coaching. Playing the chess game and calling check mate after 3 to 4 hours of grueling decision making.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Martz cannot run a team
    This isn't about Martz, this is about a "fan" who would rather not go the playoffs than lose a super bowl. But since you brought up Martz, I don't know which is worse, a Rams "fan" that is so quick to declare Martz a fool, or the same Rams "fan" being so quick to bow at the altar of Bellichek.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv
    This isn't about Martz, this is about a "fan" who would rather not go the playoffs than lose a super bowl. But since you brought up Martz, I don't know which is worse, a Rams "fan" that is so quick to declare Martz a fool, or the same Rams "fan" being so quick to bow at the altar of Bellichek.

I do not beleive Martz is a fool. I think he has made some poor decisions and is to proud to admit his style of play is not working. You are not making a strong case for your own mental status by comparing Martz and Bellichek. Martz is not in that realm, maybe he will be some day but right now he is not. I would assume you had some education and the basic stats of the 2 men would show you who has the edge. The only alter I bow at is Gods btw but nice try. I guess when you are a fan of a team you could not say another coach is good right?

You really think I am proud to say the Rams NFC champs 2001. Sorry I am not, they lost a game due to poor coaching decisions plain and simple. Martz got outcoached in that game in front of the whole world. Thats when he lost me. Call it spoiled all you want I just saw a weakness in martz to think through the down times he panicked and made the team one dimensional when he could have still controlled it with faulk. The Seattle game last year at Seattle was awesome if he could be that Martz every game I would be all for him. The problem is he is not consistant. One game he will utilize everything the next he will forget he has a running back.

As far as running the whole team. Martz has not done a thing to show he is capable of doing that. He lets the defence falter and does not force the adjustments. Marmie is not working and Martz is not caring same old crap.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast