Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Our biggest problem IMO ..

The O-line .. Bigger than wr, bigger than backup rb, bigger than any secondary issues .. Bigger than any other need!!

I'll say first off that I didn't watch Feely play at all, as I didn't get home and get the game on until Bradford had been inserted. What I did see was what amounted to a jail break on every passing attempt. Brown wasn't at center, and Bell and Greco were not playing. Just how much they might have helped we'll never know, at least not unless we play the Vikes again. I am going to watch the entire game again on Monday or Tuesday ( if I can stand it), when NFL Network shows the replay.

Jason Smith should improve over the next few weeks if he can stay healthy, Saffold I didn't really key in on - I'll attempt that when I watch the game on DVR. From what I saw yesterday though, we aren't going to score many point on offense until there is DRAMATIC improvement improvement within the ranks of the O-line. Then there is the matter of depth .. Anyone wonder how the O-line would perform without Brown, Saffold, or Smith?

There aren't alot of receivers that can get open in one and a half seconds, let alone stretch the field in order to take advantage of Sam's strong arm. Sure - Jackson wasn't playing and his mere presence would perhaps have kept the defense a bit more honest, but when you look back on last year, opposing defenses were daring us to pass much of the time.

It will likely never happen, but rather than any other position I'd prefer the Rams to try and find another serviceable vet OT. Heck - bring back Big O. for another year. What about Walt Jones? Is he too dinged up to play another season?

Ok, end of rant - maybe I'll feel differently after watching a second time when I can back up the tape - right now though - it doesn't seem likely ...

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Re: Our biggest problem IMO ..

Thing is - we knew this in Jan

It's why I know some on here were (rightly or wrongly) questioning getting Bradford over Suh in the first place. Nothing to do with the kid but it's of no use to him or us to see him get smacked every other play.

It's obviously not that simple (this is real football, not the fantasy variety). But we do need to find an answer as I think (as things stand) we're going to have another tough year putting up points.

I'm well and truly behind (and excited by) Bradford but given that was the choice we made, we need to do everything we can to put and improve the protection around him as quickly as possible. Fingers crossed we get that sorted in time for next month...
    Last edited by sonnyjames; -08-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjames View Post
    Thing is - we knew this in Jan

It's why I know some on here were questioning getting Bradford over Suh in the first place. Nothing to do with the kid but it's of no use to him or us to see him get smacked every other play.

Now, I'm well and truly behind (and excited by) Bradford but given that was the choice we made, we need to do everything we can to put protection around him as quickly as possible. Fingers crossed we get that sorted in the next month...

The players on the line just aren't very good, for now until better players can be acquired Shurmur will have to call games to avoid getting Bradford killed (lots of runs, rollouts, designed passes to backs, slants, quick outs). Bradford is smart enough and accurate enough to make it work.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Getting Suh would not upgrade the o-line, providing us no further progress of trying to get a QB anyways.

The problem I see is that there is no proven veteran OT to help mentor our young offensive line. They don't have anyone to teach them the little tips, advice, that could make or break a lineman.

Someone needs to tell Steve Loney the o-line coach to step up his game too, or else he'll need to find a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield Rams View Post
    good, Bradford is smart enough and accurate enough to make it work.
    By golly pass that Koolaid - cause I'm really thirsty !!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well we were missing Bell and Greco. The line really needs to mesh together.

But yes, it is a huge problem and it needs to be fixed. I'll feel confident once Bell and Greco come back, and Brown goes back to center. We aren't playing with our starting line, but I'm not confident with what we had out there yesterday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Getting Suh would not upgrade the o-line, providing us no further progress of trying to get a QB anyways.
    Yeah, I know that! The point that was being made pre-draft was if we're not ready for Bradford, would we be better drafting Suh instead and going for a killer D...? Aiming to build from there (using other draft picks / trades to upgrade the O over the next year or two) and then bring in your QB for the future once you're ready for him.

For what it's worth, I'm glad we went for Bradford, I still think it was the right move and we can build him up while building around him. But I could see both arguments (and I only referred to it for argument's sake!).

The real point is that we need to hope the first choice line meshes together as it needs to, or try to find ways to improve it from outside the roster (if at all possible), otherwise it's going to be another tough year.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I've only watched that 15-20 snap section of the game once but I saw both good and bad. Feeley had some time/protection but made slow decisions that nearly led to picks. A RB missed a blitz pick up-and the Vikes were bringin' it after those first two completions to start the 3Q series- which led to one of the sacks on Sam. I think it was Ogby.I think Karney missed one,too. There was only one penalty on the OL during that stretch that I can recall; a false start on J. Smith, but if you look at the tape, both OTs jumped which makes me wonder if the center was the real culprit. That Fraley/Brown experiment on the interior looked like a flop on several occasions,esp that failure to pick up 1 freakin' yard on successive downs.

The most frustrating aspect for me is that it's impossible to say whether the WRs are doing anything right with all that inconsistency on & behind the LOS. That IS a familiar storyline but this was a really early rough draft,imo.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield Rams View Post
    The players on the line just aren't very good, for now until better players can be acquired Shurmur will have to call games to avoid getting Bradford killed (lots of runs, rollouts, designed passes to backs, slants, quick outs). Bradford is smart enough and accurate enough to make it work.
    I'm not convinced that the players aren't good. Jason Brown was a solid piece of a good Ravens offensive line. Jacob Bell was part of a run-blocking line that tore things up in Tennessee. Hank Fraley has had a long career starting in the league. Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold were early first and second round picks respectively. We've invested more money and early round draft picks into the offensive line than any other dimension of the team. I don't think the problem is a true lack of talent.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Well we were missing Bell and Greco. The line really needs to mesh together.

But yes, it is a huge problem and it needs to be fixed. I'll feel confident once Bell and Greco come back, and Brown goes back to center. We aren't playing with our starting line, but I'm not confident with what we had out there yesterday.
    I really don't think the coaching staff was slating Greco as a starter come the regular season (Prior to 7:00 last night anyway) so really the only starter the line was missing was Bell. Indeed the reason we kept those guys out there for so long was almost certainly to get that "meshing". Which makes last night more concerning.

sb34rams is offline Registered User

Let's just hope Smith had a bad game last night against Minnesota.

Maybe we can shed a couple of tight ends and grab a couple of O-linemen .. Another tackle and perhaps a guard? Big O where are you?? Even though you're old now you've got to be better than Phil Troutstream .. right?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Maybe we can shed a couple of tight ends and grab a couple of O-linemen .. Another tackle and perhaps a guard? Big O where are you?? Even though you're old now you've got to be better than Phil Troutstream .. right?

Phil "Troutstream" got laid onto his arse by a little shove last night. By a third string DE.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

meh. i guess i'm in the minority and feel what happened saturday was more an aberration than a sign of things to come. they're young, they're expected to look like it. the most important thing was seeing sam take contact and bounce right back up imo.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

What troubles me is the number of players ALREADY sitting out.
    "The horror"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast