Thread: Our Defense

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Our Defense

Thus far in 2013 we have looked very mediocre on defense. For us to win tonight that has to change immediately. The reasons for this performance are in my mind an absence of 2 very key players from last year. The first is Jo Lonn Dunbar and the second is Quintin Mikell. These guys accounted for the lion's share of tackles on running plays alongside James Laurinaitis. While JL is still here we have replaced the other 2 players with a rookie and an aging veteran. That places enormous stress on our defensive line to account for the run and therefore not rush the QB as much as we've done previously. Of course Robert Quinn has stayed on the QB rush because that's what he does best, but Chris Long and Michael Brockers are having to account for runners as the back 7 of our defense aren't as skilled in stopping the run. While TJ McDonald seems to be a great pick for us he's still learning and that's OK. I also think for the reason I just discussed is why our CB's are playing off the line a bit to react better.

I don't think any of this is a shock to Jeff Fisher and the other coaches, who likely planned for this, except for Dunbar's suspension. I hope after Sunday we can resign Dunbar as he offers more talent at this time than Witherspoon. Mikell of course was also a money matter and he's with the Panthers, but his presence would have cut into McDonald's playing and learning time. My last point is that I feel we'll see some things tonight on defense and offense that Jeff Fisher has held back to prevent the ***** from preparing to face. That is one of the reasons why I think he's a super coach. I'm looking forward to tonight's game as I think it will be a watershed moment in our season, win or lose.

Go Rams!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Our Defense

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    My last point is that I feel we'll see some things tonight on defense and offense that Jeff Fisher has held back to prevent the ***** from preparing to face.

Go Rams!
    "All right men, It's time to unleash the fundamentals."
    The break, don't bend offense.

ramjam is offline Registered User

Do we all seriously think that our coaching staff is holding anything back. That whole idea makes no sense to me. We have 16 games to get it done. Holding anything back will get your team beat more times than not.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramjam View Post
    Do we all seriously think that our coaching staff is holding anything back. That whole idea makes no sense to me. We have 16 games to get it done. Holding anything back will get your team beat more times than not.
    Hold back the gleam men... Hold the gleam...

macrammer is offline Registered User

I heard on sports talk radio that the Whiners WR's are having hard time getting off LOS. Well, that seems to be one of our weaknesses......soft zone coverage. And no pass rush. That needs to change tonight.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

yeah our defense has been getting torched lately, giving up opening drive scores to the opposing team in all three games so far. I still strongly believe that our offensive ( literally) futility has a lot to do with it.