Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    renrawtruk is offline Registered User

our new offense & defense

OK, so apparently we are going to run the Eagles and Giants defenses, which sounds like a good plan.

And we are going to run the Eagles and Giants offense. (mostly Eagles).

Is this a good thing? Do we want this? What exactly is it?

As far as I can tell, they have some west-coast offense compenents with a lot of screen plays, but like the giants, take some shots downfield.

seems ok, but is it innovative, or just runs, screen throws, and deep shots?

Is it mostly a 2 wide receiver set with a TE? Seems like I recall that, and then occasionally a 3 WR.

anyway, just wondering if anyone is happy/upset about the philosophy?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: our new offense & defense

I think it certainly utilizes Jackson to his fullest potential. If we develop our young WRs, I don't see this as a bad thing at all. With the right protection schemes, and obviously, smarter playcalling in general, this offense will open up. There's weapons, we just need to learn how to utilize them.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Don't you think we need to get a new qb if we are going to be more like the eagles? They throw a lot most of the time. I don't think bulger can manage a game in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    Don't you think we need to get a new qb if we are going to be more like the eagles? They throw a lot most of the time. I don't think bulger can manage a game in that way.
    I honestly don't think so. If Bulger CAN function, and has a good offensive line, he can do great things. I believe in him. And I think Jackson will still wind up being the workhorse in this offense. He'll be what we base our offense around.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

since both of those teams have been winning, im going to say its a damn good thing..

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The Giants and Eagles have completely different offenses. They need to get a fullback and a good slot receiver for 3rd downs if they want to run a offense like the Giants.

If they can get a good fullback then running an offense similar to that of the Giants would benefit them the most as long as Steven Jackson can stay healthy.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Burton is key for next years offense.. If he can become the black Rickey Proehl that would be key

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

no, jackson is the key to next years offense. KEEP HIM HEALTHY!
    he kept us in games this year with a horrible o line and no fullback.
    if we pickup a couple of good o line men and a lead blocker fb we will be riding the #39 train to the endzone all day.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    You do realize Bulger played in Martz's offense right? He averages almost 34 throws a game for his career. Gone over 50 throws a handful of times ...

Who knows what offense we will run. It won't be a full-out west coast because that takes at least 2 years to absorb. No way they are going to try to do that with Bulger at this point. Bulger is very smart, he easily grasped Martz's schemes, but to ask him to learn ANOTHER offense at this point in his career is a little crazy ....

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    no, jackson is the key to next years offense. KEEP HIM HEALTHY!
    he kept us in games this year with a horrible o line and no fullback.
    if we pickup a couple of good o line men and a lead blocker fb we will be riding the #39 train to the endzone all day.
    Exactly. I don't know how many times I've stressed, and other countless members have stressed that games are won in the trenches. We get some offensive linemen, and I'd say we're in good shape. I don't see why this offense wouldn't become an excellent clock managing, redzone efficient scoring machine.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Exactly. I don't know how many times I've stressed, and other countless members have stressed that games are won in the trenches. We get some offensive linemen, and I'd say we're in good shape. I don't see why this offense wouldn't become an excellent clock managing, redzone efficient scoring machine.
    Absolutely ...

Keep Jackson healthy, and having him consistently pound out 100 yards a game ...

Get some more athletes to go with Avery and Burton on the edge. Pound them on the ground, then throw over top of them when you get the opporunity ...

Look at the Giants, they averaged in the upper 20's with this type of pound it out offense ...

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    You do realize Bulger played in Martz's offense right? He averages almost 34 throws a game for his career. Gone over 50 throws a handful of times ...

Who knows what offense we will run. It won't be a full-out west coast because that takes at least 2 years to absorb. No way they are going to try to do that with Bulger at this point. Bulger is very smart, he easily grasped Martz's schemes, but to ask him to learn ANOTHER offense at this point in his career is a little crazy ....
    I can't see Shurmur doing anything else but installing the "system" he's coached in his entire NFL life. I think it will be full out that system.

I also don't think they are going to compromise at all what they want to build for Bulger's sake. Spags has said this will be a process and that process starts now. If Bulger can't handle the system, then they'll play the QB that best can.

The system in this case means terminology and basic concepts. And it really is focused on the passing game because the running game portion of all the systems is pretty much the same. Running play terminology is fairly universal, though the personnel and motion packages that are called with it are not.

One thing Shurmur might do in this case is what Jim Zorn did in Washington last year. He said he kept the running game package installed by Saunders there and laid his passing game system (essentially the same system Shurmur will be running) on top of it since that's pretty easy to do given the universal nature of running plays and how they're called. But that's not going to make things much easier on Bulger even if he does that.

This team is moving in a different direction with new systems on both sides of the ball. I don't think Devaney nor Spags see this as a one year job, so I'd guess and hope that they will make it pretty clear to the players that they need to get on the train, or, if they don't like the direction it's headed, get off it now.

By the way, Bulger may have some familiarity with the system Shurmur will be bringing. I believe he was in camp with the Saints in 2000 when Mike McCarthy was the OC there. Of course, he also didn't make the final roster and was cut. Not sure what offensive system they ran at WVU when he was there.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post

If they can get a good fullback then running an offense similar to that of the Giants would benefit them the most as long as Steven Jackson can stay healthy.
    Well this seems easy enough. Why not just try and steal the Gnats fullback...oh...wait.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I don't even care about speculation anymore... I am so damn excited about the new Rams. I can't stop thinking about the team under this group of coaches. Running schemes that were built for power house team in the NFC...... AHHHHHHHHHH RAMS - WOOO WHO"S WITH ME!

Is it sept. yet!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think as far as next year goes, I think we will know the direction of the team by how active the Rams are in Free Agency. If the Rams sign a top tier FA or two, then they want to win now or at least get better quicker. If they are bargain hunters, then this will be a crawl before we walk process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast