HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Our next head coach will be....

.....neither Bill Cowher nor Marty Schottenheimer!

Hope, wish, pray, beg & plead all you like, but neither one of those guys will be taking Linehan's job. First off, there would have to be a desire to get back into coaching in the NFL. Neither has shown any interest. In fact, that very question was posed to Schottenheimer just two weeks ago. Here's his response....
    Asked by a reporter from Kansas City whether he'd be interested in coaching again, Schottenheimer, 64, said: "I really can't say that I do. There's a lot to coaching that people don't realize. As a coach, everyone is always behind you, win or tie."
    Second, this job would have to be more appealing than what they currently have. MS is an analyst for Sirius NFL. Cowher is on the CBS pre-game show. Both of those are easy gigs that require very little of them. An NFL head coach is (literally at times) a 24-hour-a-day job. And even with the best of teams can be perpetual headaches; how much worse for this franchise.

I'm sorry guys, those are both great choices, but this franchise has nothing to offer either of them.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Our next head coach will be....

All they could offer is MONEY...which has pulled MANY a man out of "retirement". I doubt they would come to the Rams given the current state of the FO/ownership though.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Dominating D Guest

Nothing to offer is exactly what these guys love. They love challenges.... Just like Dick V. when the Rams had nothing then....

Go Rams

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    .....Hope, wish, pray, beg & plead all you like, but neither one of those guys will be taking Linehan's job.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. The Rams would have to be willing to offer one of two things to lure MS or BC. They'd have to offer either full control, or a really top notch FO. Since neither of those things is likely, we'll be looking to hire the Spaecial Teams Coach from North East Fresno Community College, or some other equally qualified prospect.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

SFCRamFan Guest

Nothing to offer may be a challenge to some coaches, true, but the lack of uncertainty in ownership and the unwillingness to invest heavily in free agents would run most quality coaches off the list of candidates....

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Cowher has no shot of coming here. He is waiting out the Carolina job or one in a big market...like say if Wade Phillips falters again this year? We have a much better shot at Marty because he does it for the love of the game and I find it hard to believe he wasn't contacted for a HC job this past offseason. I would absolutely love for him to become our new HC. The FO has to realize that a rookie coach doesn't always pan out and we should go for someone with veteran experience and leadership that players want to play for. I mean, who wouldn't want to lift Marty's playoff curse?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i love Marty he would be great to have on the staff.

as a HC i think his age counts against him...we have suffered since Dick left with the ineptitude of first time HC`s but it dont mean they cant succeed..

Andy Reid
    Holmgren (when he was in Green Bay)
    Bill Cowher
    Jeff Fisher
    John Fox
    Tony Dungy (when in Tampa)

all coaches in the NFL who made it first time round!

Fisher & Fox are former members of the Rams coaching staff that got away...grrrrrrrrr if only...

Guys, Vince Lombardi will coach here before Cowher or Schottenheimer.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Guys, Vince Lombardi will coach here before Cowher or Schottenheimer.
    well then all done problem solved.

Tony Soprano Guest

Cowher is Not coming back to coaching.

And if he temporarily lost his mind, he'd find a more promising team than ours.

Strike him from the list, period.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    well then all done problem solved.
    It should be, but no, there will still be a plethora of "Hire Cowher/Schott" threads throughout the next 6 months.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

BRETT FAVRE!!!!

I can see it now. On the sidelines with the scruffy beard, wearing a t-shirt and of course his wranglers.