Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Our next WR needs to be a Brandon Marshall/VJax/Calvin Johnson type.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Our next WR needs to be a Brandon Marshall/VJax/Calvin Johnson type.

We have two WRs in Givens and Amendola. Amendola is that clutch slot receiver. Givens is that speedy quick athletic guy. I keep seeing on this forum people talking about picking up Mike Wallace, we don't need Mike Wallace. We have Mike Wallace in Chris Givens. Infact, they have the exact same height and weight.

What we need to round out this WR corp is that Brandon Marshall/VJAX type. That big physical WR. Hopefully Brian Quick can turn into this but if not, we need that 6'3 over 220 LBS #1 WR to round out our receiving corps. Of course, an hybrid TE will also help.

We have that in Quick and Kendricks in that, but if they don't turn out to be those type of players. We have to target those type of players to round out and give Bradford a great set of weapons next year.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Our next WR needs to be a Brandon Marshall/VJax/Calvin Johnson type.

I understand your viewpoint, but if we were to go into next season with him being our only big WR acquistion(top tier free agent, draftee in the 1st or 2nd)I'd be more than happy.

Think of the respect we would command with Wallace and Givens working the outsides and Amendola in the slot. My guess is Bowe would be the free agent example you would choose over Wallaceto go along with Givens? I'd be all for that as well. However, passing up on Wallace only because we have a similar player would be insane.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think Quick was supposed to fit what your topic header seeks. I for one am still hoping for that, but only time will tell. As of right now, he and Pead have essentially been,–at this point in the season–disappointments. They haven't fulfilled what I would prefer to see from a 2nd round draft pick. Those are practically 1st rounders in my eyes.

Regardless, whether Quick becomes something or not, I'd prefer to target a FA WR who can impact the offense immediately. One mistake I think we made this offseason was not getting Vincent Jackson. I forget exactly the situation but I don't recall if we necessarily inquired or were one of the top landings for him.

Like I said, I'm still rooting for Quick (and Pead). However, I've lost hope that they'll make any kind of significant contributions for these last 4 games. Instead, I'm hoping that year 2 for those guys serves them well (and for the well being of the Rams of course )

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Thank you finally more people opposed to getting Mike Wallace

6-3 220pounds what about Dwayne Bowe guy is an inch shy of the prototype you suggest but he caught 15 TDs pass in 2010 from a QB named Matt Cassel that saying a ton
    md8 and citr92 like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

6-3 220pounds what about Dwayne Bowe guy is an inch shy of the prototype you suggest but he caught 15 TDs pass in 2010 from a QB named Matt Cassel that saying a ton
    as much as i'd like speed everywhere,

i agree about dwayne bowe, he's a good receiver, he's made some great catches

also, cassel isn't THAT bad, it's kansas city remember?

I wouldn't mind Steven Jackson, Darryl Richardson, Amendola, Givens, Dwayne Bowe, and Kendricks for Bradford to work around it. Hey, throw in Jared Cook in there, and I am loving that offense next year.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The Rams had 2 speed guys who were only 6' tall in Bruce and Holt and that seemed to work out just fine for them. And if you are going to try to rewrite history and say that they weren't burners but just great route runners then just stop because you can't average 17 yards a catch at 6' 0" if you aren't fast.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

He also has one of the worst drop %'s in football. Sad for a guy whos paid to catch the ball. Once he fixes that large issue up, I'd have NO problems what-so-ever going hard at Dwayne Bowe. Guys huge, a terrific Redzone threat, home run hitter. Love that we're even talking about snagging a #1 wideout in FA.

THE DREAM TEAM

bradwill is offline Registered User

I think every GM in the NFL wants their next WR to be Calvin Johnson. Ain't happening unless you happen to have an awful record the one year when a superstar comes out of the draft like Johnson which isn't frequently.

You have to either develop your own WR's or constantly scrape at FA or the rare trade to improve that position. With Givens and Quick, Rams have the talent already on the roster. While everyone expected Givens to be the "project" and Quick to make more of an immediate impact, it's been the reverse. That's OK by me. Give Quick another year before deciding he's simply not going to be an impact player and let Givens continue his development as he's already surpassed initial expectations.

What I'd like to see the Rams go for is a top OT, OLB and safety. I think the talent is there on offense but it isn't going to happen overnight and a little patience is required. If Amendola leaves, obviously that changes the immediate needs a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    I think every GM in the NFL wants their next WR to be Calvin Johnson. Ain't happening unless you happen to have an awful record the one year when a superstar comes out of the draft like Johnson which isn't frequently.

You have to either develop your own WR's or constantly scrape at FA or the rare trade to improve that position. With Givens and Quick, Rams have the talent already on the roster. While everyone expected Givens to be the "project" and Quick to make more of an immediate impact, it's been the reverse. That's OK by me. Give Quick another year before deciding he's simply not going to be an impact player and let Givens continue his development as he's already surpassed initial expectations.

What I'd like to see the Rams go for is a top OT, OLB and safety. I think the talent is there on offense but it isn't going to happen overnight and a little patience is required. If Amendola leaves, obviously that changes the immediate needs a lot.
    I would love to give Quick another year. I am no where close to writing him off as a bust. And I actually didn't want to calvin up there..I should have put Andre or AJ Green. Because really, no one can just go get the next calvin. You said it right, have to draft and develop your own calvin

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    He also has one of the worst drop %'s in football. Sad for a guy whos paid to catch the ball. Once he fixes that large issue up, I'd have NO problems what-so-ever going hard at Dwayne Bowe. Guys huge, a terrific Redzone threat, home run hitter. Love that we're even talking about snagging a #1 wideout in FA.
    Yes the drops got me thinking to also I dont think he goes after balls when he knows he going to get knocked out but I think that is a motivation issue

The main reason I want him is the red zone threat as much as we all love Legatron i rather get 7 than 3 its been an Achilles heel for this team for a while

Also about the whole Torry Holt and Bruce thing about 2 6 feet burner type receivers; we do not have the Offensive Coordinator that will let Givens and lets say Mike Wallace shine like Holt and Bruce...Remember Mike Martz went through plenty of coordinator positions and now is without a job so maybe it was just the outstanding skill of Holt and Bruce

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Quick was supposed to be that guy. BTW, Amendola hasn't been healthy in 2 years and at this point in his career is probably injury prone going forward.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Trust me when I say that Dwayne Bowe is overrated. Had him on my fantasy team, so I know first hand. In too many games you can't tell if he's KC's number one receiver or number 3.

QB play obviously has a lot to do with his production, but at this point, just say "no" to Bowe.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-09-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Rambos and jmk321 like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Trust me when I say that Dwayne Bowe is overrated. Had him on my fantasy team, so I know first hand. In too many games you can't tell if he's KC's number one receiver or number 3.

QB play obviously has a lot to do with his production, but at this point, just say "no" to Bowe.
    First round pick for Larry Fitz anyone? The cards have to be in full rebuilding mode

sda
    gap likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    First round pick for Larry Fitz anyone? The cards have to be in full rebuilding mode

sda
    Not even the Cards are that dumb.

gap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast