Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Our next WR needs to be a Brandon Marshall/VJax/Calvin Johnson type.

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Re: Our next WR needs to be a Brandon Marshall/VJax/Calvin Johnson type.

I don't know if you all remember Drew Bennett... He got quite the contract. Not sure if you want to remember him honestly.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jockelite View Post
    I don't know if you all remember Drew Bennett... He got quite the contract. Not sure if you want to remember him honestly.
    That's the kind of contract a terrible FO signs. Overpaying for an average player like Bennett who averaged 670 yards per season and had only one anomaly 1,000 yard 11 TD season before regressing back to the mean is something that I hope Snead wouldn't do. Giving a big contract to a proven playmaker like Mike Wallace for a team severely lacking receiving talent is something I think most good GM's would do though.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I get the basic point here, in terms of the Rams needing a big receiver who can out-muscle DBs for the ball in key situations.

I wonder, though, if the best way to fill that need might be to look at a guy like Tyler Eifert in the draft.
    This might actually work out better than any true #1 receiver because Bradford needs that tall receiver that can make those red-zone receptions and TEs are so valuable down there...also Kendricks has made strides to become a better blocker so we can line up 2 TEs in the red-zone and still have the D on there heels about run vs. pass

even with a TE like that i still feel we need someone that can separate because Gibson stepped up last game but there are times the guy is invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Exactly!!! Fantasy will have u follow a certain team all season and disect EVERYTHING. Whoever made that post (asking how could you value fantasy fb) must not play it. Part of the reason im not sold on Bradford (ever becoming elite) is becuase of fantasy, but thats another topic for anolther day, lol.
    I actually do play Fantasy and you do know Ryan Fitzpatrick and Philip Rivers have had better fantasy numbers than Bradford and when healthy Vick was a top 12 QB

would you pick any of those 3 over bradford

Even WR Fitz is the obvious example but look at a former Ram DX he has only played 6 games and has better fantasy numbers than Hakeem Nicks (10 games), Chris Givens (10 games), Danny Amendola (started and finished 6 games) you tell me who is more valuable to his team

Of course you will be happy when the guy has a 10 yard reception or a TD but those fantasy numbers do not deduct points for drops as a receiver and for a QB it doesnt value completion percentage or 3rd down conversions at all which really important for all QBs

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    This might actually work out better than any true #1 receiver because Bradford needs that tall receiver that can make those red-zone receptions and TEs are so valuable down there...also Kendricks has made strides to become a better blocker so we can line up 2 TEs in the red-zone and still have the D on there heels about run vs. pass

even with a TE like that i still feel we need someone that can separate because Gibson stepped up last game but there are times the guy is invisible

I actually do play Fantasy and you do know Ryan Fitzpatrick and Philip Rivers have had better fantasy numbers than Bradford and when healthy Vick was a top 12 QB

would you pick any of those 3 over bradford

Even WR Fitz is the obvious example but look at a former Ram DX he has only played 6 games and has better fantasy numbers than Hakeem Nicks (10 games), Chris Givens (10 games), Danny Amendola (started and finished 6 games) you tell me who is more valuable to his team

Of course you will be happy when the guy has a 10 yard reception or a TD but those fantasy numbers do not deduct points for drops as a receiver and for a QB it doesnt value completion percentage or 3rd down conversions at all which really important for all QBs
    All i said was fantasy MAKES u pay attention to players. You look at players with a keener eye, disecting every little thing that the player does. Well atleast i do anyway. And I never said ANYTHING about fantasy numbers, lol, so why are you?
    BarronWade likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nice post NJ... I think you meant to type Brandon Lloyd

Yeah, brain fart there. Was thinking about Greg Lloyd of the Steelers- a helluva defensive player but not much of a receiver, lol.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Yeah playing Fantasy football could defiantly help, especially dynasty FF. The casual FF player will just follow the numbers, but a hardcore FF player will study players to help predict who will breakout next.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    Yeah playing Fantasy football could defiantly help, especially dynasty FF. The casual FF player will just follow the numbers, but a hardcore FF player will study players to help predict who will breakout next.
    EXACTLY!!! Its like being a talent scout, lol

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I would love a Calvin Johnson type receiver. We need a big target WR that attracts double coverage.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    All i said was fantasy MAKES u pay attention to players. You look at players with a keener eye, disecting every little thing that the player does. Well atleast i do anyway. And I never said ANYTHING about fantasy numbers, lol, so why are you?
    oh okay now I understand what you mean lol...because at first I thought the other poster was saying Bowe was overated because he did not produce for his fantasy team

And no as the other poster said I am no hardcore FF person I think its all based on luck and match-ups (60% match up 40% luck) I would not put a keener eye on my fantasy player except for Steven Jackson who I try to draft every year

Anyway back to the question is there any star WR that may be traded this off-season not named Larry Fitzgerald who is in our division?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Somewhere in the 2013 draft, there will be a solid receiver that fits the mold Jeff & Les envision. After nearly a full season of watching the 2012 draft class, I have every confidence we will acquire another class of productive rookies in 2013. I really believe we should steer clear of paying big bucks to a free agent wr, rather I'd spend it on a linebacker, safety or O-line player.

Jeff and Les knew Brian Quick would be a "project." IN fact most pre 2012 draft snippets describing Brian Quick by NFL pundits proclaimed him to be very "raw." Loads of physical talent, and a good work ethic, but not NFL ready .. I believe Quick will develop into the player our braintrust envisioned, he just will require time and reps.

Why not find our own Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald in the draft? Personally I believe he is already on our roster in the form of Brian Quick. If Les and Jeff feel we need to grab another receiver or two in the draft, I'm sure they'll get a good one.

A 6'-6" TE may be just what we need. Can this guy Tyler Eifert block at all, or is he mainly a receiving TE?
    Rambos likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with the need to find our Red Zone Threat with the size and toughness as well as good hands to make our offense more potent. For a while I was thinking Dwayne Bowe would be that player, but as was said earlier, he's not the elite type of player we should spend FA $ on. So with that in mind, I'm hoping the "Brian Quick project" kicks in next year, or even in the 3 games remaining this year.

I like the idea of drafting another solid TE like Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz. Ertz I believe has more blocking skills making him greater in value. Ertz was also named 1st Team All-American while Eifert was 2nd Team, for whatever that signifies. I also believe when we fortify our O-Line, we'll see an improvement in our WR's because it will give Sam more time and that can benefit them, especially in the Red Zone.

Go Rams!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123