Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Our offensive line absolutely stinks

We played a good football game today. Bulger played well, except for the pick. Donnie Avery had a breakout game- hopefully just the beginning of great things to come. Antonio Pittman did an excellent job in replacing Steven Jackson today. OJ Atogwe had another pick and Chris Long had two sacks. Too bad the offensive line didn't get the memo that there was a football game today.

Four sacks and two holding penalties which both took us out of field goal range and stalled drives. Just terrible. I've had enough of Alex Barron and his false starts and holding penalties. How you can come out of a time out and get called for holding is beyond me. It's a real shame because we played a tough team to a virtual draw in their building.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Our offensive line absolutely stinks

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We played a good football game today. Bulger played well, except for the pick. Donnie Avery had a breakout game- hopefully just the beginning of great things to come. Antonio Pittman did an excellent job in replacing Steven Jackson today. OJ Atogwe had another pick and Chris Long had two sacks. Too bad the offensive line didn't get the memo that there was a football game today.

Four sacks and two holding penalties which both took us out of field goal range and stalled drives. Just terrible. I've had enough of Alex Barron and his false starts and holding penalties. How you can come out of a time out and get called for holding is beyond me. It's a real shame because we played a tough team to a virtual draw in their building.
    what does coming out of a time out have to do with a holding penatly ? the line could have played better and Mr. Bulger could learn how to throw the ball away,taking sacks loses yardage,there were times when he had no choice but there were times when he held the ball way to long,and lets not get started about throwing off his back foot or while he is backing up,the line can do better but so can Bulger.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    what does coming out of a time out have to do with a holding penatly ? the line could have played better and Mr. Bulger could learn how to throw the ball away,taking sacks loses yardage,there were times when he had no choice but there were times when he held the ball way to long,and lets not get started about throwing off his back foot or while he is backing up,the line can do better but so can Bulger.

I think I found J.C. Pearsons handle. Of course Bulger can play better but he isnt perfect. It was definately more the o-line today than it was Bulger. Why is it when he has time to throw he looks so good and when there is a guy in his face he looks so bad hmmmm.... Bulger did make some nice throws under duress today and made some bad throws when he had time. Do you people expect perfection? The o-line leaves plenty to be desired. Several 2nd and 3rd and longs because of penalties and just not blocking their guys. Remember to throw the ball away you have to be outside the pocket you cant just heave it out of bounds to avoid a sack or you basically are losing the same yds anyway. How about this concept, our o-line actually give him better protection.
    Just Fix It

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Well Bulger still put up 301 yards (yes I know NE has a horrible secondary) with still a below average recieving corps & virtually no TE. With the routes we run it's hard to "throw the ball away" (without getting a penalty) not to mention the philosophy in place doesn't call for that I mean seriously during the "greatest show on turf" days, how many times did we see Mr. Warner throw the ball away & they are running the same offense.

Yes we all know that the O-line is horrible, the only bright spots are the LG and LT positions, now based on what we've heard we have our OG & OT of the future in Greco and Roy Schuening but we can't seem to get them in the game for some reason(a reason I still have not been able to figure out). But from what I know from being a former player, if someone is not playing there is ALWAYS a reason.

I have to put this one on the defense, we just can't stop the run PERIOD! We are allowing 2nd and 3rd stringers to collectively put up 100 yard rushing days which does so much for a team.

With the 1st round pick we need to look at a DT seriously one who can stop the run and also provide a push up front; in addition to freeing up our MLB (Will Witherspoon). I know we've drafted 700 DT's in the last few years and have got it wrong each time but hopefully we'll get it right this time. I know Wroten comes back next year but still leaving weed alone is something most people just refuse to do so we may need to part ways with him.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -10-26-2008 at 04:40 PM.

btimsah Guest

Our offensive line needs Hannifan out there.. They just arent great pass blockers, but their run blocking has been good. I don't know if that will change during the season.. can Rick Venturi coach the offensive line? lol

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I think I found J.C. Pearsons handle. Of course Bulger can play better but he isnt perfect. It was definately more the o-line today than it was Bulger. Why is it when he has time to throw he looks so good and when there is a guy in his face he looks so bad hmmmm.... Bulger did make some nice throws under duress today and made some bad throws when he had time. Do you people expect perfection? The o-line leaves plenty to be desired. Several 2nd and 3rd and longs because of penalties and just not blocking their guys. Remember to throw the ball away you have to be outside the pocket you cant just heave it out of bounds to avoid a sack or you basically are losing the same yds anyway. How about this concept, our o-line actually give him better protection.
    I understand what your saying but no QB is perfect, thats what makes the good ones so good, they are able to make something out of nothing,they just don't take a sack,if the first read is covered they throw to someone else, they don't play scared,I don't think Bulger played poorly, but he does need to play better and make better decisions.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Well Bulger still put up 301 yards (yes I know NE has a horrible secondary) with still a below average recieving corps & virtually no TE. With the routes we run it's hard to "throw the ball away" (without getting a penalty) not to mention the philosophy in place doesn't call for that I mean seriously during the "greatest show on turf" days, how many times did we see Mr. Warner throw the ball away & they are running the same offense.

Yes we all know that the O-line is horrible, the only bright spots are the LG and LT positions, now based on what we've heard we have our OG & OT of the future in Greco and Roy Schuening but we can't seem to get them in the game for some reason(a reason I still have not been able to figure out). But from what I know from being a former player, if someone is not playing there is ALWAYS a reason.

I have to put this one on the defense, we just can't stop the run PERIOD! We are allowing 2nd and 3rd stringers to collectively put up 100 yard rushing days which does so much for a team.

With the 1st round pick we need to look at a DT seriously one who can stop the run and also provide a push up front; in addition to freeing up our MLB (Will Witherspoon). I know we've drafted 700 DT's in the last few years and have got it wrong each time but hopefully we'll get it right this time. I know Wroten comes back next year but still leaving weed alone is something most people just refuse to do so we may need to part ways with him.
    What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no way in hell you can put this one on the defense they played a terrific game considering we were missing Carriker. Did you even look at the third completion rate. This one is definately on the offense without Averys big plays what do we really have. If you want to blame someone Alex Barron and Richie Incognito should be 1 and 2 on your list.

I understand what your saying but no QB is perfect, thats what makes the good ones so good, they are able to make something out of nothing,they just don't take a sack,if the first read is covered they throw to someone else, they don't play scared,I don't think Bulger played poorly, but he does need to play better and make better decisions.
    Do you blame him if you had his right side you'd be scared also. Bulger isn't scared he just doesn't have any faith in the o-line and he has that right.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Do you blame him if you had his right side you'd be scared also. Bulger isn't scared he just doesn't have any faith in the o-line and he has that right.
    fair point, but thats a problem.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no way in hell you can put this one on the defense they played a terrific game considering we were missing Carriker. Did you even look at the third completion rate. This one is definately on the offense without Averys big plays what do we really have. If you want to blame someone Alex Barron and Richie Incognito should be 1 and 2 on your list.
    Well the last time I checked "Cogs" and Barron don't play defense (although sometimes I do think they are playing for the other team)(lol)
    23 points to a 2nd string QB who has struggled all year off & on.
    100 yards rushing to 2nd & 3rd string running backs, which helped Cassell settle in and do his damage.

The only thing we did well today was keep Moss and Welker out of the endzone which was a pleasant suprise, but still you have to put up a better performance against back-ups.

Not to mention, even with Carriker we were getting ran on almost at will.
    Oh, and to answer your questions:

THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY6/12 - 50%

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Well the last time I checked "Cogs" and Barron don't play defense (although sometimes I do think they are playing for the other team)(lol)
    23 points to a 2nd string QB who has struggled all year off & on.
    100 yards rushing to 2nd & 3rd string running backs, which helped Cassell settle in and do his damage.

The only thing we did well today was keep Moss and Welker out of the endzone which was a pleasant suprise, but still you have to put up a better performance against back-ups.

Not to mention, even with Carriker we were getting ran on almost at will.
    Oh, and to answer your questions:

THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY6/12 - 50%
    actually we were 5 for 16 31% which is horrendous. Last time i checked the defense got a 2 big picks and turnover on downs where the offense couldn't capitalize. Barron and Cogs both had huge false start and holding penalties. We allowed a respectable 76 yards to the backs you are talking about and Cassell scrambled for the rest. Kevin Faulk had the type of game he usualy has the defense did a good job in not letting him break out. On the other hand Barron and Cogs were drive killers all day ( more so Barron, but w/e) Whether it was giving up big sacks or commiting stupid unecessary penalties they held our offense back all day.

BTW the patriots gave up 91 yards to our 2nd and 3rd string RB's no one is going to be yelling at their run defense. Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork were beastly all day. They gave up 91 to our 2nd and 3rd stringers i guarantee that no one would be blaming them if they lost the game.

BTW the patriots gave up 91 yards to our 2nd and 3rd string RB's no one is going to be yelling at their run defense. Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork were beastly all day. They gave up 91 to our 2nd and 3rd stringers i guarantee that no one would be blaming them if they lost the game.
    Well the 3rd down percentage came from NFL.com - Official Site of the National Football League, and I agree our O-Line on the right side is horrid (in regards to discipline & pass blocking) (which is another reason I don't understand how the rookies can't get in), but then again I don't know what's going on in practice that we don't see.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I have the solution.

Clear from center right. Cut these guys, draft young players, sign free agents. These three idiots from Center to Right Tackle are such a problem for us.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

actually we were 5 for 16 31% which is horrendous. Last time i checked the defense got a 2 big picks and turnover on downs where the offense couldn't capitalize. Barron and Cogs both had huge false start and holding penalties. We allowed a respectable 76 yards to the backs you are talking about and Cassell scrambled for the rest. Kevin Faulk had the type of game he usualy has the defense did a good job in not letting him break out. On the other hand Barron and Cogs were drive killers all day ( more so Barron, but w/e) Whether it was giving up big sacks or commiting stupid unecessary penalties they held our offense back all day.

Did you watch the game?

Other than the few big plays the defense made, for example Long's sacks, the two picks, and a couple key run stops, our defense was below average. Statistics don't tell you everything. We applied virtually NO quarterback pressure on Cassel, could not cover their recievers half the time, our run defense had some stops, but gave up some key runs. Our offense was to blame for this game, but so was our defense.

As for cutting everyone from the center to the right tackle, i agree. As for drafting young guys for that position, I believe Schuening and Greco could play good, with Schuening at RG and Greco at RT. For center, we need to get a guy that can actually block and will not get injured every game. Leckey is undersized, and is Romberg still on this team? I have no clue.

I don't think we should use our 1st round pick on a DT, picking a MLB and moving Witherspoon outside would be a way better decision. Picking a young Tackle in the draft is also a must, as Pace is old and rusty, and Goldberg really can't block too well.

We also NEED to get a big, in-your-face, able-to-jump-up-and-get-the- ball type of TE. That would give our offense another key weapon for Bulger to pass to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast