Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

I am no expert on Austin Pettis, but after only three exhibition games and the lockout taking away a lot of practice time. To me I think its a little unfair that people will give up on the guy.? Pettis is learning three positions remember. He did not play the best competition in college also. Plus, he cannot make his transition to the NFL with the benefit of excellent speed, which sometimes can help players make an instant impact plays, good WR or not.?
    I think Pettis was always likely to struggle getting open on a consistent basis first year, versus NFL DB's. But once Sam and Pettis hook up on a few passes and get a little confidence going, people will forget about his slow start.?
    At least he is durable, which to me is just as important as any credentials teams are looking for.? Fans these days have very little patience. What I do like about Pettis, is that he gives the Rams that big underneath target. Hopefully he will become a good bail out option for our QB

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

I don't think i've seen anyone say he is trash or a waste of a pick but it is what it is. He is behind the other WR's right now. What more can be said? I love his upside and potential but with him and Salas missing the organised team activities, off season workouts and TC it has really hurt their devolpment in making a huge impact in this system. Not to mention bringing MSW in having 2 returning hurt players from IR come back and Gibson beasting it up with Danny being reliable as always they both are pushed up the depth chart. I like them both... just going to be some time for them to come around to contributing.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Are people over reacting with everything football related even though it has been going for barely a month? (I help you out here) YES.
    Nick and TekeRam like this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Are people over reacting with everything football related even though it has been going for barely a month? (I help you out here) YES.
    Wow...no kidding there. Micro analyze and worry about stuff you have ZERO control over. Sorry, kinda silly. Its great to discuss the team and all but some folks take it WAYYYYYY too seriously.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

TekeRam is offline Registered User

My question is, other than Julio Jones showing why he could have been the top receiver taken as the 2nd/3rd option in the Falcons crazy 40 pass 1st half the other day, Greg Little showing he's better than the third rate receivers that the Browns have, and Baldwin breaking his hand trying to punch out Thomas Jones, what OTHER rookie receiver has made the slightest of noise this preseason? Anyone hear anything about Green?

No? I thought so.
    I believe!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

DX and Mardy both had big drops mid-game (read probably 2nd string D) but redeemed themselves somewhat( vs scrubs) with good plays later on.Salas had some nice grabs as well . Pettis didn't really show up at all. Not sayin' that sealed Pettis' fate but he's gonna be a lot easier to get through waivers onto the PS with that performance if The Rams go that way.

Billy D's comments during the game seemed to indicate that, while sympathetic to the circumstances this year & trying to account for them, how a player got there, be it draft position or whatever, was not going to protect guys. Not a good sign for Pettis but it could also apply to Mardy,imo. Btw, Mardy fumbled a return catch as well.

And Avery didn't help to clarify things by having another solid game.
    MFranke likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure if saying Pettis hasn't done much to warrant a roster spot is overreacting, but his stat line for 4 preseason games is 1 catch for 6 yards. Maybe he makes it based on his draft position, but that doesn't mean he earned it IMO. Just sayin'......

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I think I'm changing my tune on Pettis. I really thought it was a GREAT pick and had super-high hopes for this kid. He had two wonderful years at Boise and I thought he was a lock for the roster. 1 catch for 6 yards, two key whiffs on blocks in the 2nd half and an end around for 2 yards ... and that is his BEST play .... very disappointed. Practice squad at best .....

Uh yes, I'll have the baked crow platter please ....
    ZiaRam likes this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    My question is, other than Julio Jones showing why he could have been the top receiver taken as the 2nd/3rd option in the Falcons crazy 40 pass 1st half the other day, Greg Little showing he's better than the third rate receivers that the Browns have, and Baldwin breaking his hand trying to punch out Thomas Jones, what OTHER rookie receiver has made the slightest of noise this preseason? Anyone hear anything about Green?
    Do the bungals even have a qb? How is green supposed to catch passes from no one? I'm pretty sure Green has the worst qb situation in the league

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm bummed that Pettis did not do something tonight... Glad I don't have to make that call....

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    Uh yes, I'll have the baked crow platter please ....
    that is my favorite crow platter btw...

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm not sure if saying Pettis hasn't done much to warrant a roster spot is overreacting, but his stat line for 4 preseason games is 1 catch for 6 yards. Maybe he makes it based on his draft position, but that doesn't mean he earned it IMO. Just sayin'......
    If he couldn't produce a better stat line than that in pre-season, what would make anyone think things will change during the regular season when he probably wouldn't even see the field except for special teams? To me, he's a no-brainer for the practice squad.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Pettis last night was completely invisible, SHOCK, HORROR. I tried to give Pettis the benefit of doubt because of the lockout. But what concerned me more than vanishing act last night was his energy on the field. He looks disinterested to me.? Did anyone else pick up on this.?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If he couldn't produce a better stat line than that in pre-season, what would make anyone think things will change during the regular season when he probably wouldn't even see the field except for special teams? To me, he's a no-brainer for the practice squad.
    The only problem with that approach is that some other team could then sign him. While I don't think he's necessarily earned a roster spot, he might get one just to avoid that outcome.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Cutting Pettis based on his performance in four pre-season games is a joke. Let's remember for a second that the coaches actually spend a lot more time with the players than the fans. There is this thing called practice, where the coaches spend a ton of time working with, and evaluating the team's players.

Is it possible that our coaches have more insight into a rookies pre-season performance than we do? Seems like many posters here feel they have a better grasp on our players talent and potential than the coaches.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast