Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

Like Devaney said "Its what you do here that matters, not how you got here".
    HUbison likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I like how everyone is evaluating him in 4 games especially the pre season. Give him the whole regular season and then you can make the proper analysis.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I like how everyone is evaluating him in 4 games especially the pre season. Give him the whole regular season and then you can make the proper analysis.
    I'm not taking a position on his status, as I have not observed him in practice, but its not as simple as you're making it out to be. The fact is, there is a finite number of roster spots available, and if Pettis is given one, someone (probably another WR) has to go.

So, if you think the Rams should invest time and a roster spot to develop Pettis, who would you have them cut?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Cutting Pettis based on his performance in four pre-season games is a joke. Let's remember for a second that the coaches actually spend a lot more time with the players than the fans. There is this thing called practice, where the coaches spend a ton of time working with, and evaluating the team's players.

Is it possible that our coaches have more insight into a rookies pre-season performance than we do? Seems like many posters here feel they have a better grasp on our players talent and potential than the coaches.
    You make a fair point. There are a multitude of factors that go into evaluating a player, and the coaches are going to do what they feel is best for the team.

That said, there are practice players, and there are game time players. Pettis so far looks to be the former. He was a complete no-show when it came time to prove he could execute on the field.

The NFL is generally a produce or go home proposition. IMO, if Pettis was a 6th or 7th round pick, he'd be in big trouble, but the fact that he was a 3rd, probably saves him.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Maurice clarret was a 3rd round pick and i believe he was cut before the reg season even started..... Pettis will (eh, better) be cut and ps'd. He doesnt have the luxury gilyard did last year where he didnt perform on the field but we had a lack of depth at reciever and it saved him. And if anyone heard devanny he clearly stated "you cant fool the locker room, they know who suppose to be here and whos not"
    Last edited by Fastcat; -09-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Salas will (eh, better) be cut and ps'd. He doesnt have the luxury gilyard did last year where he didnt perform on the field but we had a lack of depth at reciever and it saved him.
    Salas should be cut??

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Oopps i fixed it

richtree is offline Registered User

Pettis is a bigger guy with great hands and long arms. He is pretty solid and should be a solid player.

The difference with Pettis is that he probably needs a year of NFL strength and conditioning. Couple this along with learning a complex play book as well as blocking the run, he just will need more time to fully develop.

The thing is when it is 3rd Down and 4 yeards to go...you want both Kendricks and Pettis out there in the future.

If we didn't have a very deep and highly competitive WR battle going on, Pettis would simply be well-liked and considered a solid rookie WR that will improve day after day.

There are very few rookie WR that can be immediate contributors -- and not many that aren't picked in the top 40 picks of any NFL draft....

The key is the Rams will be fine no matter which WR we cut.....we will play well, and the odd WR out will play again with another team, if not back with Rams

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only problem with that approach is that some other team could then sign him. While I don't think he's necessarily earned a roster spot, he might get one just to avoid that outcome.
    Understood AV, but then you'd have to ask yourself if you're the Rams, "what really have we lost"? And as far as I can see, nothing that couldn't be relatively easy to replace.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only problem with that approach is that some other team could then sign him. While I don't think he's necessarily earned a roster spot, he might get one just to avoid that outcome.
    Who cares? Modest salary cap hit. This is not the Rams of 2008 and 2009 where you have to wait to see if draft picks materialize. We have some players on this squad. WR's have improved. Pettis has shown nothing.

I don't really see why anybody thinks there is a team out there that would pick up Pettis, sight unseen, and put him on the active roster.

I'd keep Dominique Curry anyday of the week over Pettis, for obivous reasons. And I highly doubt Curry makes the squad either.

Clayton is on PUP. Gibson, Amendola, MSW, Avery are locks. You really think Pettis gets in over Salas, Gilyard, Curry, and DX?

Devaney himself was in the media just recently saying that draft pick status would play ZERO role in who made the squad. That is very telling.
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -09-02-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm going on record it's a big mistake to cut Petttis.

You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round and cut him before the season.

I have yet to read Pettis is not learning the offense. I have yet to read Pettis is missing time due to injuries. I have yet to read the coaches or any FO rep say he looks bad and is disappointing. Only thing we have is one catch for 6 yards. Not sure how many times he was targeted. Not sure how many time he was open but not the first option.

IF the Rams cut Pettis I have to question the FO and the scouting department and the GM. We are still rebuilding and we can't misfire like that. It took how many months to evaluate the kid as a legit WR draft him and only four weeks to say he can't play in the NFL. If this happens the Rams need to look at our process, what a waste.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm going on record it's a big mistake to cut Petttis.

You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round and cut him before the season.

I have yet to read Pettis is not learning the offense. I have yet to read Pettis is missing time due to injuries. I have yet to read the coaches or any FO rep say he looks bad and is disappointing. Only thing we have is one catch for 6 yards. Not sure how many times he was targeted. Not sure how many time he was open but not the first option.

IF the Rams cut Pettis I have to question the FO and the scouting department and the GM. We are still rebuilding and we can't misfire like that. It took how many months to evaluate the kid as a legit WR draft him and only four weeks to say he can't play in the NFL. If this happens the Rams need to look at our process, what a waste.
    In a typical year, maybe some of this logic holds ....

However, with the lockout, this was not a typical year. The Rams drafted some WR's in the draft because it was an apparent need. Without mini camps, there was no way to gauge the improvement of the young WR's on the roster, nor how quickly Avery would recover, or how Danario would hold up ...

Seemingly, our young WR's have stepped up, and they are starting to evolve. Are you implying would should cut some of the young WR's we have that are showing potential in turn to place a rookie on the roster that has shown nothing, and may never show much?

Even Devaney said it, the best players will be on the team, regardless of past performance or draft status. That is how it should be. There is no entitlement in the NFL.

Unfortunately, the lockout made this a strange year. It may cost guys like Pettis and Salas, and if it does, so be it. I want to win football game, not worry about public perception or feelings getting hurt.

Not sure what you guys are expecting Pettis to be anyway. Most 3rd round WR's do not develop into premium playmakers.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

It was interesting to read Jim Thomas (I think) say that we really didn't have much at all between Pettis and Salas on draft day, but just went with Pettis. Just.

We were then so surprised to see Salas still there in the fourth that we grabbed him.

That to me says that we've got two third picks, effectively, with nothing between them from the off. It makes the whole issue of Pettis being a third rounder (and so arguably that bit safer) null and void, imo.

The other problem, looking ahead, is that if we put him on the PS we risk losing him elsewhere. Clayton is on a one year deal and may not come back as he was. MSW is on a one year deal. Avery is still an injury risk until he's played at least half this season. DAX is obviously a massive risk. So while there's a huge depth of competition NOW, the longer term view might make it more understandable to keep and work with Pettis, if we think he's got enough to make it even a year or so down the line.

MSW, Amendola, Gibson are locks. Avery, Pettis and Salas would be my other three. DAX on IR, Gilyard and Curry on shaky ground (altho one may squeak in if we go with seven, in which case you'd expect Gilyard's ST outings to just about get him the nod).

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Great points ... on both sides. Bottom line for me is how do you cut Mardy or DX or even Curry to make a spot for a guy that hasn't shown anything. DX is inconsistent, Mardy cant catch .... hey, I hear ya, but they have shown tons more than Pettis. Hell, even Salas has shone brighter. I SO want to agree with the notion that he's gonna be great later, but not at the expense of a DX or Gilyard. At this point I'd rather keep that little running back ... Daniel is it? He's the man!

Too much talent is a good problem to have and it's been a long time coming ....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    In a typical year, maybe some of this logic holds ....

However, with the lockout, this was not a typical year. The Rams drafted some WR's in the draft because it was an apparent need. Without mini camps, there was no way to gauge the improvement of the young WR's on the roster, nor how quickly Avery would recover, or how Danario would hold up ...

Seemingly, our young WR's have stepped up, and they are starting to evolve. Are you implying would should cut some of the young WR's we have that are showing potential in turn to place a rookie on the roster that has shown nothing, and may never show much?

Even Devaney said it, the best players will be on the team, regardless of past performance or draft status. That is how it should be. There is no entitlement in the NFL.

Unfortunately, the lockout made this a strange year. It may cost guys like Pettis and Salas, and if it does, so be it. I want to win football game, not worry about public perception or feelings getting hurt.

Not sure what you guys are expecting Pettis to be anyway. Most 3rd round WR's do not develop into premium playmakers.
    In a typical year, maybe some of this logic holds ...
    In any year when a team is rebuilding a 3rd round draft pick that gets cut is a bust. No way to spin it we just drafted a player and cut him, we missed on the 3rd Pick. Has nothing to do with the players on the current roster getting better. If the FO cuts Pettis they are saying he's not good enough this year or next year to play in the NFL.

The Rams drafted some WR's in the draft because it was an apparent need. Without mini camps, there was no way to gauge the improvement of the young WR's on the roster, nor how quickly Avery would recover, or how Danario would hold up ...
    So are you saying we where set at WR and the FO just did not know it because of the lockout? We still have a big needs at WR. The only WR that got better is Gibby that's it. The rest still have the same issues health and a new offense to learn.

Ok I will buy that... best players meaning what exactly? IMHO there are many things that make up the criteria of "the best players" and its not summed up in preseason stats.

If anything the lockout will hurt a lot of players in the NFL and rookies the most. That being said Pettis and Salas both are very bright guys and have done a great job learning the offense in 4 weeks... if the numbers they put up are not up to the fans exceptions that's no big surprise... they are rookies a 3rd and 4th rounder. Yes valuable spots but not 1st rounders like AJ Green and Jones. Those guys better come in an produce in year one... 3rd and 4th rounds guys need to stick and be productive and blossom in years 2 and 3 and so on. Much like Gibby is doing now. Avery needs to put up some good numbers this year his third or he is done and I think he will.

Lets keep in mind we have a new offensive coordinator and these rookies are his picks his guys.

Again I will be shocked if they cut Pettis.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-02-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    TekeRam likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast