Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

  1. #31
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm going on record it's a big mistake to cut Petttis.

    You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round and cut him before the season.

    I have yet to read Pettis is not learning the offense. I have yet to read Pettis is missing time due to injuries. I have yet to read the coaches or any FO rep say he looks bad and is disappointing. Only thing we have is one catch for 6 yards. Not sure how many times he was targeted. Not sure how many time he was open but not the first option.


    IF the Rams cut Pettis I have to question the FO and the scouting department and the GM. We are still rebuilding and we can't misfire like that. It took how many months to evaluate the kid as a legit WR draft him and only four weeks to say he can't play in the NFL. If this happens the Rams need to look at our process, what a waste.
    Im not going to question the Rams FO in their draft rating system, with the recent success Devaney has had.? Even the best GM's make big boo boo's from time to time.! Devaney mentioned last night about the locker room being impossible to fool. They know who deserves a roster spot. Im predicting Pettis knows he is safe. His relaxed demeanour in the games points to this. That's my guess anyhow. I think he has shown enough in camp to earn their respect.?


  2. #32
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm not sure if saying Pettis hasn't done much to warrant a roster spot is overreacting, but his stat line for 4 preseason games is 1 catch for 6 yards. Maybe he makes it based on his draft position, but that doesn't mean he earned it IMO. Just sayin'......
    I really hope not, Mike. That would be a real Zyg-move.

    I know there's always financial considerations (to some degree), but IMO once the draft is over, the draft is over. To paraphrase Devaney....it doesn't matter how you got here, but what you do here.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  3. #33
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If the FO cuts Pettis they are saying he's not good enough this year or next year to play in the NFL.
    On the contrary, they would be saying he's simply not good enough to play on THIS roster. He may well be good enough for another NFL team, but just not this one.

    And that's a pretty good problem to have.

    I'm afraid this roster has been so talent deplete for so long that we've fallen into the mindset of hand-wringing over whether or not we're letting talent go. Well folks, this Front Office has done such a great job over the past 2 or 3 years that we are in a position of being guaranteed that talent WILL walk out the door.

    Again, good problem to have.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #34
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,299
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    I can certainly see the opposing argument - if you haven't earned a spot, you haven't earned it, regardless of how you got on the team. There is merit to that.

    However, in a day and age where consistently successful teams have accomplished that by building their roster through the draft, the idea of cutting a newly-acquired third-round pick because he hasn't made an immediate observable impact in four preseason during a shortened offseason just seems like an idea that runs contrary to that success plan and seems short-sighted to me.

    You have to think that, when the Rams drafted Pettis, they saw skills that they thought would be able to help their football team beyond 2011, and would possibly take more than a third of a year to develop to the pro level. While I agree that the Rams' personnel at receiver has improved from last year, I don't think they've improved so much that now this team can start cutting mid-round picks four months after acquiring them.

    The Rams will be in a position where they have to cut some talented players, and it will be a hard decision. But if the model is to build a sustainable winner, then I think you've got to be willing to give these guys more than four months out of college to develop into what you want them to be, even if that means cutting some other talented guys (who have their own question marks, let's remember).

    My money is on Pettis being on this roster, though he'll likely be inactive on game days. But we'll find out today what the Rams think.

  5. #35
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Well, Nick, if Gilyard truly has been released that makes Pettis' odds a little better.

    And I do see your point that champions are drafted. I agree. However, hopefully this administration can recognize a mistake earlier than later and act upon it. I'm not saying Pettis is a mistake. However, if he is, I would hope that the FO and staff can act upon it, instead of augmenting their mistake by releasing the superior player.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  6. #36
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    I just hated seeing them draft Gilyard when Mike Williams was there...

    Now we reached for 'OUR" guys in Pettis and Salas., so hopefully they develop this year, or otherwise we need to re-evaluated the way we draft our WR's...

  7. #37
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,409
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I just hated seeing them draft Gilyard when Mike Williams was there...

    Now we reached for 'OUR" guys in Pettis and Salas., so hopefully they develop this year, or otherwise we need to re-evaluated the way we draft our WR's...
    I was pretty mad about Mike Will too. I guess we just have to hope Salas or Pettis makes us forget about him.

  8. #38
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,954
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    On the contrary, they would be saying he's simply not good enough to play on THIS roster. He may well be good enough for another NFL team, but just not this one.
    The only problem I have with that is, there are not many rookies that are going to show how good they can be in the in such a short period. I think as fans we are putting to much importance on the stats in preseason games good or bad.




    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Well, Nick, if Gilyard truly has been released that makes Pettis' odds a little better.

    And I do see your point that champions are drafted. I agree. However, hopefully this administration can recognize a mistake earlier than later and act upon it. I'm not saying Pettis is a mistake. However, if he is, I would hope that the FO and staff can act upon it, instead of augmenting their mistake by releasing the superior player.
    I think they just did.. they released a mid level draft pick after having enough time to evaluate him.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-03-2011 at 12:42 PM.

  9. #39
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Quote Originally Posted by rambos
    The only problem I have with that is, there are not many rookies that are going to show how good they can be in the in such a short period. I think as fans we are putting to much importance on the stats in preseason games good or bad.
    You're right, rambos. In such a short time, there are not many rookies that are going to show how good they can be.......to fans. Because, as you said, fans put too much importance on the stats; you're absolutely right.

    However, to the coaching staff, whose business it is to know everything these players are or will be, it may well be plenty of time.

    My point is this.......I don't want the front office to hang on to somebody simply because he was a 3rd round pick. If Pettis sticks, I don't know that this would be the reason. However, there has been a lot of speculation that it would be the reason. I simply hope it isn't, because that mindset harkens back to a different front office in the same building just 5 short years ago.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #40
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,954
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You're right, rambos. In such a short time, there are not many rookies that are going to show how good they can be.......to fans. Because, as you said, fans put too much importance on the stats; you're absolutely right.

    However, to the coaching staff, whose business it is to know everything these players are or will be, it may well be plenty of time.

    My point is this.......I don't want the front office to hang on to somebody simply because he was a 3rd round pick. If Pettis sticks, I don't know that this would be the reason. However, there has been a lot of speculation that it would be the reason. I simply hope it isn't, because that mindset harkens back to a different front office in the same building just 5 short years ago.
    I know what you are say and agree 100% if the FO missed on the pick lets move on and keep the best players.

    Here is why I trust the FO will do the right thing.

    We drafted Jason Smith with the 2nd pick in the draft to play LT, he got the big money. He played ok as a rookie. The next year we draft Rodger Saffold second round with the 33rd pick. He comes in and out plays Smith. The Rams quickly move Smith to RT, they did not hesitate. That tells me a lot about this FO, they could have been too prideful to do the right thing.


    HUB I think the difference with our current FO is this. They will not only get us back where we belong as a top team in the NFL. They will do what the old FO could not do. They will keep us there!

    Go Rams!

  11. #41
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Amen, rambos.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  12. #42
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Nice point about Devaney and Spags, showing their honesty, even when clearly wrong.?
    My very first impressions of Gilyard after the Indy game were quite optimistic. I did notice some decision issues that first pre-season game though.
    After that his game was not only pedestrian, but he is an accident waiting to happen. Good elusive runner after the catch but hardly frightening. The Rams may have wanted to showcase Gilyard to potential suitors, looking to get something back for that 4th round pick they now wasted.?

  13. #43
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,954
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Sept. 04, 2011 3:12 p.m. - by Ron Clements - Rams GM: Rookie WR Pettis impresses, 'belongs in the NFL'
    GM Billy Devaney on rookie WR Austin Pettis: “To pick up three positions we asked him to learn is really unique and showed in practice where he got on a roll. He showed great hands and separation off the line of scrimmage. He certainly showed enough that he belongs in the NFL.”

  14. #44
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Sept. 04, 2011 3:12 p.m. - by Ron Clements - Rams GM: Rookie WR Pettis impresses, 'belongs in the NFL'
    GM Billy Devaney on rookie WR Austin Pettis: “To pick up three positions we asked him to learn is really unique and showed in practice where he got on a roll. He showed great hands and separation off the line of scrimmage. He certainly showed enough that he belongs in the NFL.”
    That's wonderful news. I'm glad he impressed Devaney, and assumedly Spags. That's all I need to know.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  15. #45
    BEER's Avatar
    BEER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    896
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Our people over reacting with Pettis.?

    A bad draft pick...... O, and we got nothing for that bust Avery. Atleast every pick was not bad like years past.\
    Im pertty happy with our draft the last 2 years. Looking forward to this season. Yea yaa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Rams, Pettis agree to terms
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -07-29-2011, 06:24 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: -05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
  3. Alexander, Pettis, Goldberg Join Rams Workouts
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: -05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: -05-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •