View Poll Results: Why do the Rams continue to have red zone problems?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martz's suspect playcalling

10 40.00%
  • Bulger's inability to check down

11 44.00%
  • Poor push by the offensive line

0 0%
  • Not having a great TE target

2 8.00%
  • Other

2 8.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Our Red Zone Offense

It's interesting to me that only two of us, myself included, have voted that the lack of a credible tight end has been the major factor in our red zone difficulties, yet over 80% of voters think it's Martz and Bulger's fault. Rampower mentioned that this problem only came about in the Bulger era, but I pose a question: is it not also the no-Conwell era as well?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Conwell may be getting just a tad bit overrated in this thread....

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Conwell may be getting just a tad bit overrated in this thread....
    How so? You don't feel an effective tight end is a valuable part of a successful red zone offense, and that Conwell fit this mold fairly well?

rampower is offline Registered User

I think it is a combination of factors, our qb td's in the red zone (total number) hasn't dropped badly, but our running total has dropped drastically.
    Martz's play calling ( possibly a lack of red zone confidence from the last 2 years, coupled with wilkins supremecy), poor running the last 2 years. But this will be addressed. Have we ever used tight ends that much?

Rp

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    How so? You don't feel an effective tight end is a valuable part of a successful red zone offense, and that Conwell fit this mold fairly well?
    Yes, an effective tight end would be a valuable part of a successful red zone offense, if they use them. But you've gotta admit, it was a rare occasion when Ernie was thrown to. I agree that a big tight end who can block (man, Manumaleuna would be a great weapon of he could remember his blocking assignments) would drastically help our red zone offense, but you'll have to convince Martz first.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Yes, an effective tight end would be a valuable part of a successful red zone offense, if they use them. But you've gotta admit, it was a rare occasion when Ernie was thrown to.
    According to profootball-reference.com, in 2001, Conwell caught 38 passes, which is one fewer than Hakim and two fewer than Proehl. He also had more receiving yards (431) and more touchdowns (4) than Hakim did that season. So I'm not sure I agree that Conwell didn't see the ball that much. Perhaps not during the '99-'00 seasons, but I think in '01 and even in '02, he saw his share of receptions and was productive as a receiver.

I'd like to think that by matching the offer sheet on Manumaleuna, the Rams understand that it's important to have a solid tight end who can both block and catch. I'm just inclined to think that they're coming around to this idea a bit too late, since we already had a pretty solid tight end in Conwell. I'm not going to try and kid anyone into thinking he was a great tight end, but I think he was a reliable player offensively. I'm not sure I can say the same about Manu, but I really hope he turns out to be. He's not exactly started off on a good note, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    According to profootball-reference.com, in 2001, Conwell caught 38 passes, which is one fewer than Hakim and two fewer than Proehl. He also had more receiving yards (431) and more touchdowns (4) than Hakim did that season. So I'm not sure I agree that Conwell didn't see the ball that much. Perhaps not during the '99-'00 seasons, but I think in '01 and even in '02, he saw his share of receptions and was productive as a receiver.

I'd like to think that by matching the offer sheet on Manumaleuna, the Rams understand that it's important to have a solid tight end who can both block and catch. I'm just inclined to think that they're coming around to this idea a bit too late, since we already had a pretty solid tight end in Conwell. I'm not going to try and kid anyone into thinking he was a great tight end, but I think he was a reliable player offensively. I'm not sure I can say the same about Manu, but I really hope he turns out to be. He's not exactly started off on a good note, though.
    Agreed. Good points.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh, I agree with you Nick....just not too sure about the use of the TE in the red zone. I always liked Roland Williams, thought he was an important piece to our puzzle in 99. I do think the TE is important, just not too sure that the TE is the fix all to our red zone issues. After the commentators pointed out how open Goodspeed was in the flat down in the red zone, that made me realize how Bulger needs to look at those guys more. Not Faulk mind you, but Goodspeed WIDE OPEN. Would like to see how the Rams would be in the red zone if we used the FB like some other team did with a guy named Rathman.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Oh, I agree with you Nick....just not too sure about the use of the TE in the red zone. I always liked Roland Williams, thought he was an important piece to our puzzle in 99. I do think the TE is important, just not too sure that the TE is the fix all to our red zone issues. After the commentators pointed out how open Goodspeed was in the flat down in the red zone, that made me realize how Bulger needs to look at those guys more. Not Faulk mind you, but Goodspeed WIDE OPEN. Would like to see how the Rams would be in the red zone if we used the FB like some other team did with a guy named Rathman.
    I definitely agree with that, Tex. With fewer targets in the red zone, Bulger definitely has to survey the field and get the ball to someone if they're open. I wasn't trying to claim that a TE is the fix to all our red zone problems, but I think if we had a better TE, it would probably be the biggest step out of all of those listed in terms of making progress towards better efficiency.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I believe its a combination of things: Martz's playcalling, Bulger checking down, and the TE making his presence known. I think all of these have an affect on our redzone offense. Bulger doesn't need to check down every play, but every now and then would be nice. We don't need a superstar at TE; but if a TE stepped it up in the redzone, I believe that would open up some space for our receivers and backs. Martz can help by making better play calls down in that area. Starting with no more TE around end unless that TE runs in the low 4's.
    Sprtsmac :football:

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Definitely Martz' play calling in the red zone has declined. That tight end-around play is a joke. It's never worked before, so I'm not sure why Martz keeps running that play into the ground.

I was happy to see them go for the jugular on the play that Bulger threw the pick, because it was the right time to go for it. Not calling those passes last year definitely took away from out TD total. I hope the pick won't deter Martz from going for it again in that situation when we've got momentum...

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    I hope the pick won't deter Martz from going for it again in that situation when we've got momentum...

It shouldn't since Manu being grabbed had a lot to do with that interception
    Sprtsmac :football:

viper is offline Registered User

I would like to preface my comments with the fact that I don't follow the stats as much as I shoot from the hip...by observation.

I consider the Rams to be a "Red Zone field goal" team today vs a touch down scoring machine as it was in the day of my main man, Kurt Warner.

Consider the Rams in there heyday. We were so good in the red zone that when our field goal kicker was down, we went for two point plays and made them at will.

Personally, I think our recent problems are a combination of everything that has already been mentioned. With that said, I think a couple glaring deficiencies are that:

1) Mark Bulger is weak at going thru his progessions. Thats the case whether you're in the red zone or out of it. He needs to check off some times. Our running backs, full backs and tight ends are open way too often when he decides to force the ball.

2) Martz gets f**kded up in the red zone. How many of you had a heart attack when you saw that I'll advised TE try to get around the corner? You might have well have asked a beached whale to land on your porch. I don't think he believes Mark can do what Kurt used to do. Think back, with Kurt, a touchdown was automatic (again, in our hey day). Roland and Cromwell were solid and we typically had 3 or 4 other WR for him to choose from, not to mention Marshall. It is possible if our TE got more balls thrown to them they might step up.

Mark needs to get more broad minded in the entire progression dept., whether red zone or otherwise (can you say Marshall/Jackson in the flat) and Martz needs to be the great offensive coordinator that we all know him to be, and call plays that have a chance. If not, Mark should be allowed to audible out of such things (is he allowed to do that...I don't think so).

Anyway, we better look at the Cards game as a wake up call. We were lucky to pull out the win, as I think you know ...IMHO. Hey, I'm as big a Rams fan as you...but, we have some work to do!

Martz gets f**kded up in the red zone. How many of you had a heart attack when you saw that I'll advised TE try to get around the corner? You might have well have asked a beached whale to land on your porch.
    Exactly!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

First and foremost I have to go with player execution. However, Martz' redzone scheme seems a bit lacking as well. He doesn't seem to have a good handle on what he wants to do in the redzone. He often calls odd plays that do not have an established track record of being well executed by his players.

Practice what you want to do and stick with what you execute well in practice. I would like to see a bit more running in the redzone and some fade routes to the corner off of play action.

:ramlogo:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast