View Poll Results: Why do the Rams continue to have red zone problems?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martz's suspect playcalling

10 40.00%
  • Bulger's inability to check down

11 44.00%
  • Poor push by the offensive line

0 0%
  • Not having a great TE target

2 8.00%
  • Other

2 8.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Our Red Zone Offense

I'm willing to give this version of the Rams until Week 4 to see if the red zone has improved or not.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So after 23 votes, a sum of total of exactly zero think the reason is lack of O-line push. If this poll had been taken before Sunday, I bet at least some would have gone with the O-line answer. What a difference a week makes.

Having said that, something to think about...against the Cards the O-line was more effective at opening the running lanes than actually pushing the line which is great when running on long yardage downs. On short yardage (or goalline) the emphasis should press to simple sumo, move the man in front of you backwards. We really didn't get a chance to see this on Sunday, as we swept outside or passed on most of our short yardage plays (as is normal for Martz offenses). I think it's great, but at some point this season we are going to have to force vertical line movement as well as gap widening. When that time comes, I hope the line is as effective as we've seen thus far.

I think they can. These guys are much better than anyone is willing to give them credit for, and by the end of his first year after flying solo without the legendary Jim Hanifan, Matsko will be considered one of the top assistant coaches in the league.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Practice what you want to do and stick with what you execute well in practice.
    See, I could have sworn I heard that the TE-reverse was a play that had been practiced during the week with success, but I might be wrong.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    See, I could have sworn I heard that the TE-reverse was a play that had been practiced during the week with success, but I might be wrong.
    Ahh, and I could have sworn I said, first and foremost, player execution.

:ramlogo:

Ahh, and I could have sworn I said, first and foremost, player execution.
    I wasn't questioning that. I was just adding that, when you said practice what you want to do and stick with what works well in practice, I thought I heard it mentioned that that was a play they'd been practicing. Just trying to add some details I heard about the playcalling, since so many critiqued it. Sorry if that's a problem, as your reply seems to indicate.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Just trying to add some details I heard about the playcalling, since so many critiqued it.
    If this were a political poll, the pundits would be saying any discussion about the TE is irrelevant at this point. The majority has clearly spoken. The survey says ... minority opinions must be cast from the ballots and another vote taken. Even in a parliamentary democracy, TE discussion gets no play. 'Nuff said. Remember, extrapolating from numbers is a science ....

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I wasn't questioning that. I was just adding that, when you said practice what you want to do and stick with what works well in practice, I thought I heard it mentioned that that was a play they'd been practicing. Just trying to add some details I heard about the playcalling, since so many critiqued it. Sorry if that's a problem, as your reply seems to indicate.
    Oh, ok Nick. Just a misinterpretation on my part. Thanks for clearing it up! Interesting that they were having success with that particular play in practice. It looked ugly during the game.

:ramlogo:

Oh, ok Nick. Just a misinterpretation on my part. Thanks for clearing it up! Interesting that they were having success with that particular play in practice. It looked ugly during the game.
    Indeed it did, but like I said I could be wrong about hearing that it was working in practice. I'm not entirely sure about that.

jjsram is offline Registered User

I have to go with Martz' suspect playcalling. If I remember correctly, red zone ineptness has been with the Rams since 1999. I specially remember this from the SB, although in one of the drives, Holt dropped a sure td. All 3 first half field goals were from the red zone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123