View Poll Results: I'd rather...

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • take my chances with young players.

21 100.00%
  • go with established vets, even if they are on the downside.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is our WR situation all that bad? (Look at Seattle)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is our WR situation all that bad? (Look at Seattle)

Yes, the Rams are relying on rookies Brian Quick and Chris Givens and second year player Greg Salas to elevate the WR corps. And, yes, WRs often don't blossom until their 3rd or 4th year.

But...

Would you rather be the Seahawks?

They are reportedly signing Terrell Owens and Braylon Edwards.

At best, those guys might give you a good year.

So... which situation would you prefer?

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Is our WR situation all that bad? (Look at Seattle)

Rams need either Quick or S.Smith to play a full productive season and equally important they need Kendricks to be awake and healthy for a full season.

The Rams aren't in bad shape.

I also think Fisher will get into the ear of Sam Bradford to get rid of the ball hard and fast -- Sam needs a little fire in him and Fisher will not be so sweet to him like the last few years....

So Rams WRs all day especially if you include the TEs

Rambos is online now Registered User

I think when you sign older players, it's a sign of desperation. The best way to go is the draft. Bruce and Holt where drafted by the Rams and played great for us. They moved on later in their careers and never really had an impact on the teams they played for after the Rams.

I'm glad we did not make a move for TO and or Moss. Both can help the teams they went to and both can hurt the teams they went too. Bottom line, having the service of TO and Moss for one year does nothing to improve the team in the long haul.

As much as I enjoyed the play of Lloyd last year, I wish Pettis and or Salas had more reps, the ones that he took.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The Seahawks are at in a better position at their WR position.

Doug Baldwin looked amazing last year as a rookie, outproducing every WR on our team. Ben Obomanu and Golden Tate chipped in as well, Tate still having potential. Major deep threat with the finally healthy Ricardo the rocket Lockette. If Sidney Rice can return back to form (I doubt he will) he can be dominant in the NFL. Two seasoned vets in Edwards and T.O won't hurt either.

All we have are a bunch of un-proven rookies and players returning from injuries. I'd still take our WR corps over theirs, but they are better off right now.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The Seahawks are at in a better position at their WR position.
    They are?

Doug Baldwin's numbers were okay, but not really better than Danny Amendola's were in his last healthy season.

Sidney Rice was a FA bust. Obamanu and Tate are just guys (with numbers comparable to Brandon Gibson's).

The real question is whether the addition of Owens and Edwards will have a bigger impact than the addition of Quick and Givens (not to mention Amendola's return and Steve Smith's role).

Ramhearder is offline Registered User

It is tough to answer this question right now. I might get burned for this, but I think T.O. comes back and plays at WR #1 later on. Look back 2 years. He had almost 1000 yards and 9 TDs. In any case, We have a lot of potential at the WR position but they have more proven success in their WRs. An important topic for this discussion is how does the lack of a decisive QB affect their WRs?

All that being said, with a frame of our goals in STL, we have the better receiver core. Our goal is to build. Is Seattle building or trying to reach for tops in the NFC West?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If I'm building for the future, I'd take the Rams. If I'm building for the present, I'd probably take the Seahawks. In either case, the Rams have a preferable QB situation by far, which is going to play a factor in how these units perform.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

Exactly (Nick). I'm as (or more) optimistic as the next guy, but Rams are winning 6-7 games this year.
    Next year is the major turnaround year, with 2014 the "deep into the playoffs/SB year", (after bolstering the O-line, Safety and OLB positions).

BTW Nick, no one should be able to be 29.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If I'm building for the future, I'd take the Rams. If I'm building for the present, I'd probably take the Seahawks. In either case, the Rams have a preferable QB situation by far, which is going to play a factor in how these units perform.
    I think Seattle is making a similar mistake that DeSpags made with the Rams last year. They think they are closer than they actually are and, as a result, they are starting to fill out their roster with older guys like Owens, Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Jr. and Barrett Ruud. While those kind of players might get you a win or two this year, they also might all be gone by next year.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Aging veterans are a quick fix at best, and are still a gamble. If the Rams were a few players away from being a contender, maybe I would pull the trigger on a guy like T.O. or Edwards, but they're not. The Rams have a lot invested in their young receivers and need to give them a chance to develop as they rebuild for the future. It's going to take some time to turn things around, and bringing in a former star with perhaps a year or two left in the tank doesn't make sense if it puts you right back to square one when they fizzle out.
    RealRam and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

Haste is offline Registered User

T.O reportedly ran a sub 4.5 40 time during his workout O_o If true, that's crazy for his age.

I bet T.O becomes a nice redzone threat for them as well as a playmaker if whoever is Qb can get in sync.

People forget in Cincy he was a beast still and had a great year and missed some games at the end of the season too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    People forget in Cincy he was a beast still and had a great year and missed some games at the end of the season too.
    Since then, he tore his ACL, and then fizzled out playing a season in the IFL.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Aging veterans are a quick fix at best, and are still a gamble. If the Rams were a few players away from being a contender, maybe I would pull the trigger on a guy like T.O. or Edwards, but they're not. The Rams have a lot invested in their young receivers and need to give them a chance to develop as they rebuild for the future. It's going to take some time to turn things around, and bringing in a former star with perhaps a year or two left in the tank doesn't make sense if it puts you right back to square one when they fizzle out.
    Exactly Mike. I do realize it's not ideal placing so much pressure on the rookie wide-receiver's. However, the teams FO drafted these players for good reason. Gotta believe in your prowess as a head coach.!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Exactly Mike. I do realize it's not ideal placing so much pressure on the rookie wide-receiver's. However, the teams FO drafted these players for good reason. Gotta believe in your prowess as a head coach.!
    Agreed. You've got to trust your draft, and the vision of Fisher, who's been through the process a time or two.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I want young potential receivers that can put up numbers for YEARS; not come in for a season and walk out the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast