View Poll Results: I'd rather...

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • take my chances with young players.

21 100.00%
  • go with established vets, even if they are on the downside.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is our WR situation all that bad? (Look at Seattle)

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Re: Is our WR situation all that bad? (Look at Seattle)

I would prefer having a good mix, only because you really don't want to rely on your rookies right away.

And in truth, they really don't have to. They have Smith, Amendola and Gibson, Jackson has always seemed to have good hands in a check down situation to me.

Of course I still remember Gibson's dropped passes, I've cursed them as much as the next guy on Sunday. But he's a good route runner and he may yet improve, but the point is that you don't have to rely on the rookies all of the time.

Sure, I might have liked to see more reps from Salas last year, but I don't think Lloyd got in the way of that at all, Salas being injured and all and running the slot routes his rookie year. Having Lloyd on the team wouldn't be a problem at all for me, as he would just easily push out a depth player we don't need.

There's nothing stellar about the receiver core, sure. But they do have depth and hopefully some rookies can contribute some now.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post

Sure, I might have liked to see more reps from Salas last year, but I don't think Lloyd got in the way of that at all, Salas being injured and all and running the slot routes his rookie year. Having Lloyd on the team wouldn't be a problem at all for me, as he would just easily push out a depth player we don't need.
    Having Lloyd on the team wouldn't be a problem at all for me either.... I used him as an example of a guy coming in for one year. Knowing that Lloyd has moved on in hindsight I would have preferred having Gibby, Pettis and Salas have more reps, heck we sure did not win any more games because of the vet coming in and making a few plays.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Questioning the Brandon Lloyd signing last year is the ultimate second guess. He played well, and at the time of his signing, no one envisioned the plight the Rams would experience over an entire season. It cost us a 5th rounder. Big deal. Management made an attempt to get better and get Sam a weapon. And Lloyd did his part and produced.

We may indeed be better off than Seattle, who has addressed their needs differently, but we're hardly in "great shape". There are no playmakers and in a league DRIVEN by playmakers that's a potential problem. In addition, there are enough question marks with multiple players to have concerns: Will the rookies justify how high they were taken through great performance? Can Amendola bounce back and stay healthy? Can Salas take a step forward and stay healthy? Can DX show he can do more than the occasional electrifying catch off a fly pattern? Can Pettis show he wasn't a wasted draft pick? Is Steve Smith any good or is he finished? Can Kendricks hold onto the football and be the player he was last pre season? Just what is Brandon Gibson- a guy who can be productive or a guy who disappears for quarters at a time?

Time will tell.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -08-08-2012 at 07:00 AM.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

What would you take. A one off super bowl win in two years with 'band aid' vets followed by mediocrity thereafter? or, 7 seasons of the 'usual' before a mini dynasty in 8 years time? (2-3 SB wins)
    Last edited by UK Ramfan 83; -08-08-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Ramhearder is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    What would you take. A one off super bowl win in two years with 'band aid' vets followed by mediocrity thereafter? or, 7 seasons of the 'usual' before a mini dynasty in 8 years time? (2-3 SB wins)
    Great question. This city needs the former as bad as that may sound. But do we need the band aid vets to be there in 2 years? We would need them for a run this year. If we draft extremely well and RG3 and family do poorely we may get our shot before 2015.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Questioning the Brandon Lloyd signing last year is the ultimate second guess. He played well, and at the time of his signing, no one envisioned the plight the Rams would experience over an entire season. It cost us a 5th rounder. Big deal. Management made an attempt to get better and get Sam a weapon. And Lloyd did his part and produced.
    If you read my second post I said I would love to have Lloyd on the team.

As much as I enjoyed the play of Lloyd last year, I wish Pettis and or Salas had more reps, the ones that he took.
    Nowhere did I rip Lloyd or his play or the FO... Keeping in mind what the question that Av asked. My take looking back I would have had the younger guys on the roster get more playing time period.

As Av mentioned Spags and company last year filled some spots with vets that did not workout. Cutting the second half of the draft instead of developing the drafted players can come back and bite you. Lloyd did play well he did makes sense at the time... BUT the facts are we have Salas, Pettis and Gibby on the roster and when you don't play the young guys they tend not to develop.

Lets not forget they also brought in Mike Sims Walker and we all know that moved did not workout. That is why they had to reach out mid season and go get Lloyd.

Again I'm not second guessing the Rams, I prefer they draft players and develop them.
    I would rather see Quick an Given get a lot of playing time this year, instead of adding T.O. for the short term.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

In general I agree with you, but I think it's really just about balance.

There's no doubt that you have to give your younger players actual game time to develop them, but what I saw last year from Lloyd was that he was exposing some of Bradford's weaknesses and pushing him to be better.

I really think you have to take into consideration ... just how much can Bradford develop throwing to a receiver group that can't catch the ball, get open or complete the routes, or worse laying on his back? How much can the defense really progress when they're forced to play until exhaustion overtakes them?

Having said all of that, you could argue that Sam should have rested his ankle for the rest of the season, and I'll admit I was an advocate of that philosophy. The season was lost anyway, and in that light, they may just as well have kept their 5th round pick for all of the good that Lloyd did.

But that would be a lot like management throwing in the towel before the season is over, and while people can argue all they want for the logic of that, the ultimate goal is to put fans in the seats which you cannot do throwing in the towel.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The Rams could make use of a couple 1st round WRs, its the best chance that one gets quality talant--but then again one has to pay for it. Right now till the O-Line proves it can give Sam Bradford consistant 5 to 7 seconds of protection, it doesn't matter who the Rams have as WR.

It seems Fisher is trying to build a balanced offense, but pinning most of his hopes on the defense to make the real difference for W's & L's....I could be wrong. But if nothing else Fisher is trying to cover as many holes as possible to have a team.

If the Rams where that poor at the WR core, likely the Rams would have gotten either Moss or T.O., but it seems the Rams are content with their WRs for this season. For the Seahawks, maybe this is a move that makes since--I still can't figure out what P. Carrol is striving to achieve for a team.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If I'm building for the future, I'd take the Rams. If I'm building for the present, I'd probably take the Seahawks. In either case, the Rams have a preferable QB situation by far, which is going to play a factor in how these units perform.
    exactly my thoughts as well when i seen this thread. Hopefully Matt flynn does as horrible as their Qb did last year...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12