Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chiledog is offline Registered User

Outside the huddle (SI notes)

From S.I. website

Outside the Huddle

Not so special
    The Rams were remarkably inept on special teams last season. In a 32-team league, they finished 31st in punt returns, 31st in kickoff returns, 30th in punt coverage and 32nd in kickoff coverage.

Not so primetime
    Once the darlings of prime-time television, the Rams have been deemed not-as-ready-for-prime-time in 2005. The team will have only two games in primetime, neither of which is a home game — the first time since 1999 the team doesn’t have a prime-time home game.

Cradle of quarterbacks
    Rams quarterback Marc Bulger is from Western Pennsylvania, which is known as the quarterback mecca. Among the signal-callers born and reared there: Hall of Famers John Unitas, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Jim Kelly, George Blanda, along with Dan Marino, who will enter the Hall in August. Bulger attended Pittsburgh Central Catholic, the same high school Marino attended.

Take five
    In the 10 years the Rams have been in St. Louis, only five of their draft picks have wound up playing in a Pro Bowl — Kevin Carter (1995), Orlando Pace (1997), Leonard Little (1998), Torry Holt (1999) and Dre’ Bly (1999, as a member of the Detroit Lions). All five were drafted before Mike Martz became head coach in 2000.

2004 Revisited
    The Prophecy: "The Rams believe they have found their tailback of the future in Steven Jackson. Despite Marshall Faulk’s presence, Jackson could see considerable playing time this season."

The Lie: "I feel so much more relaxed going into next season. The defense has been more or less solidified." -- Mike Martz

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

Re: Outside the huddle (SI notes)

In the 10 years the Rams have been in St. Louis, only five of their draft picks have wound up playing in a Pro Bowl — Kevin Carter (1995), Orlando Pace (1997), Leonard Little (1998), Torry Holt (1999) and Dre’ Bly (1999, as a member of the Detroit Lions). All five were drafted before Mike Martz became head coach in 2000.
    The lack of Pro Bowl caliber draft picks has been a gripe of mine for a few years now. However, I did not know that Mad Mike has never drafted a player to make the Pro Bowl. Is this because his picks have not had time to develop to that level, or is the brain trust not doing it's homework before draft day?

-
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

general counsel is offline Registered User

First of all, its a bit early to judge. secondly, we have been doing quite a bit of picking low in the first round. Martz has not had sole control over the drafting either. Finally, you cant blame the kennedy injuiries or the damione lewis injuires on martz. everyone loved the damione lewis pick, it was exactly what we needed. hindsight is 20-20.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The TV thing is pretty surprising to me. Just one MNF game? We may have been 8-8, but we were most definitely still one of the most exciting and interesting teams to watch. Dallas goes 6-10, doesn't come close to making the playoffs and they get two games, go figure. I guess they think Bledsoe is going to light it up?

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Parcells and Bledsoe. This is the "Make-or-Break" season for 'Ol Bill. Nobody gives a s**t about Martz the way they do about Parcells, so Mike's overlooked, along with the rest of our boys.
    Besides....along with the Patsies, they're "America's Team", right? Meh.
    Last edited by Scidog68; -07-18-2005 at 10:54 PM.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Bulger attended Pittsburgh Central Catholic, the same high school Marino attended.
    You've got a Pro Bowl MVP on your mantle. You're the leader of one of the most high-powered offenses in the league. You're probably one of the 10 best QB's on the planet today......but you're not even the best QB from your own high school.

That's gotta suck.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    The lack of Pro Bowl caliber draft picks has been a gripe of mine for a few years now. However, I did not know that Mad Mike has never drafted a player to make the Pro Bowl. Is this because his picks have not had time to develop to that level, or is the brain trust not doing it's homework before draft day?

-
    That all ends this year. And someone can remind me of this at the end of the season if I'm wrong.......Jimmy Kennedy will be a Pro Bowler this year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

HuBison, i hope you are correct. If the big bear makes the pro bowl, at the minimum, we are going to the nfc championship game and probably better. The emergence of the big bear and hopefully the health of clairborne (and the ripple effect on big grease) will be a HUGE difference in our run stopping ability.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    The TV thing is pretty surprising to me. Just one MNF game? We may have been 8-8, but we were most definitely still one of the most exciting and interesting teams to watch. Dallas goes 6-10, doesn't come close to making the playoffs and they get two games, go figure. I guess they think Bledsoe is going to light it up?
    I just don't get it, I really dont. Yeah, because I have Sunday Ticket I can watch the games but come on, a team like Dallas getting two games. Heck, one is more than deserved!

Anyways...

GO RAMS!!!

GameTime is offline Registered User

If Steven "Gumbo" Jackson gets the ball 20 -25 times a game, he will be Mike's first pro bowl draftee.

By the way, "In your own words" featuring Torry Holt is on nfl network a couple of times over the next couple of days, set the Tivo.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Sunday Ticket it is then!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Rambos is offline Registered User

It's fine i hate when we play on MNF, short weeks can be ruff.

The Rams were remarkably inept on special teams last season. In a 32-team league, they finished 31st in punt returns, 31st in kickoff returns, 30th in punt coverage and 32nd in kickoff coverage.
    I know that the Rams had struggled on special teams last year, but I had no idea that they had performed so poorly. These stats are unbelievable! I certainly hope that MM has a plan for turning this around

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

I know that the Rams had struggled on special teams last year, but I had no idea that they had performed so poorly. These stats are unbelievable! I certainly hope that MM has a plan for turning this around
    Judging by his leanings with FA pickups, STs were squarely in the front of his mind. Stone, Hawthorne, Coakley, Furrey, etc. make me optimistic we will NOT suck this year in that regard.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Yeah, too bad Martz realized his mistakes [special teams personnel, something brought up by Howard Balzer a long while ago] after they let Bobby April go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast