Leics_Ram Guest

P Jason Baker wants similiar deal to Zastudil

Seems like the Rams will be talking with Jason Baker this week (along with Dirk Johnson), but Baker seems to be an expensive beast for a punter if this is true:

"Baker, an alternate for the Pro Bowl last year, is looking for something comparable to the five-year, $8 million deal Cleveland recently gave Dave Zastudil."

That seems like big money for a punter. Given our cap situation and other needs, would you pay the money and take a punt on Baker (Pardon the pun!) or look elsewhere?

[EDIT: apologies, hadn't seen the other thread posted about 30 seconds before this on Baker otherwise I'd have posted in there!]
    Last edited by Leics_Ram; -03-19-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Jonze is offline Registered User

Re: P Jason Baker wants similiar deal to Zastudil

I say we go for it! We really need some stability and skill on this position. There has been too many patchwork solutions over the past couple of seasons, that has contributed to the occational terrible special-team performances. A little peace and quit for a couple of yaers would do wonders. (In my oppinion we also need to adress the return-game and the coverage, though, maybe in term of prioritizing it a little more...?) But a great punting game is first step in that progress...

sbramfan Guest

AND...

He handles kickoffs. Wilkins is a liability at kick offs as they are typically short. Money at FG's, not KO's.

This could improve both our coverage teams if we can also get a few more yards per kickoff.

It didn't necessarily say that he's better at it than Wilkins, but typically the punter has a stronger leg than the FG kicker.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Id rather have Wilkins save his leg for the 50+ yard field goals instead of wearing it out on kickoffs

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    Id rather have Wilkins save his leg for the 50+ yard field goals instead of wearing it out on kickoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    AND...
    He handles kickoffs. Wilkins is a liability at kick offs as they are typically short. Money at FG's, not KO's.
    This could improve both our coverage teams if we can also get a few more yards per kickoff.
    It didn't necessarily say that he's better at it than Wilkins, but typically the punter has a stronger leg than the FG kicker.
    Come on guys. There are plenty of teams that would kill to have Wilkins as their kicker (both field goal and kick off). The man has great control, and returns on his kick offs have been the result of poor special team coverage, not the length of his kicks. His shorter kicks are high with alot of hang time, but he still has the leg to get it down into the end zone when asked. Spend the money elsewhere.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I have no problem giving him that kind of money, because we really need a consistent punter. Baker's 32% of punts inside the 20 yard line would be welcomed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    but he still has the leg to get it down into the end zone when asked. Spend the money elsewhere.
    So you are saying they only ask Wilkins to kick it in the endzone at certain times? I don't think so, he's getting older and he can't do it consistantly anymore, we need a stronger leg for kickoffs, I want someone kicking touchbacks consistantly, no more good field position for our opponents and no more return TDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by tomahawk247

Originally Posted by sbramfan
    AND...

Come on guys. There are plenty of teams that would kill to have Wilkins as their kicker (both field goal and kick off). The man has great control, and returns on his kick offs have been the result of poor special team coverage, not the length of his kicks. His shorter kicks are high with alot of hang time, but he still has the leg to get it down into the end zone when asked. Spend the money elsewhere.
    We would be tippping our hand more with our onsides kicks in games we are trying to get back in. 2004- Ask the Seahawks and the other teams how awesome Wilkins control is when they know it is coming. His on sides touch is on par with the best or if not the best in the league.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Rambos is offline Registered User

This would really help, Wilkins is money, but he does kick off short for the most part.

RamsFan16 Guest

Good news. Jason Baker left Oakland today recieving no offer.!

Hodgins Guest

jason baker wont get as much as dave zastudil because hes not as good as dave zastudil...funny how that works aint it?

bigredman Guest

So you are saying they only ask Wilkins to kick it in the endzone at certain times? I don't think so, he's getting older and he can't do it consistantly anymore, we need a stronger leg for kickoffs, I want someone kicking touchbacks consistantly, no more good field position for our opponents and no more return TDs.
    Dah.....yes they do tell him when to kick into end zone, left or right, between the end zone line and the ten, high and maximize hang time to the 15 to twenty. Been there, done that. Tell you what. Give me the name of a kicker that ALWAYS kicks it into the end zone, and I'll wear a too too while singing I'm a little tea pot, take a picture, and post it here!
    Last edited by bigredman; -03-26-2006 at 02:19 PM.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Dah.....yes they do tell him when to kick into end zone, left or right, between the end zone line and the ten, high and maximize hang time to the 15 to twenty. Been there, done that. Tell you what. Give me the name of a kicker that ALWAYS kicks it into the end zone, and I'll where a too too while singing I'm a little tea pot, take a picture, and post it here!
    With the way our coverage has been the last few years, they certainly want him kicking it in the endzone. I'm not debating left or right.

Also, I never said ALWAYS, I said consistently. Have fun singing in your "too too" :tongue:
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.