Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pace ejection was bull.....your thoughts

While, from the viewpoint of the cameras, Pace clearly should not have been ejected, I can't blame the ref for what he did. All he knew is that a 325 pound giant put his hands on him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't understand how anyone can say this was the right call after the official himself said, "If it is inadvertent contact, it would not be an ejection." Clearly, it's inadvertent - Pace is shoved by a Seahawk and stumbles backwards, trying to maintain his balance.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When he made the call, he did not think it was inadvertent, and its not a reviewable call.

Now, on the other hand, the call that Butler was down at the 1 on his interception - that was a horrible call.

general counsel Guest

I cant believe that the official actually saw what happened on the play and drew the conclusion that pace had any intent. I think what happened is that in the heat of the moment the official reacted to the fact that pace made contact with him and therefore ejected him. That is the problem with the call. Unless the official was sure that the contact was intentional, you dont eject the guy.

general counsel

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I cant believe it but I agree with adarian

and
    next time we play the chickens someone should push alexander into an official maybe our run defence would be better
    Last edited by ramstiles; -11-15-2004 at 02:34 PM.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I look at it as "nipping it in the bud". I don't like the idea of losing Pace, but the officials have to make sure that they are protected. I completely understand them erring on the side of caution in this case. The officials have to dive into these piles and skirmishes unprotected and the players have less and less regard for their authority. I regularly see officials trying to get to the bottom of a pile to see who's got the ball, being disregarded by the players around the pile. They don't get out of the way and seem to be barely under control as it is. In this case, an official was knocked to the ground by a player, for whatever reason, had two hands on him.

This is a lot different than, during a play, an official getting run over by someone trying to make a play. This was just a big pile up of players, pushing and shoving after the play was over. Pace was the sacrificial Ram in this case but to restore a semblence of order and respect, I think the ejection served it's purpose. You just can't have players disrespecting the officials. It will eventually elevate. Players aren't stupid. If they feel they can get away with retaliating against an official by making it look like there was no intent they will find a way. If they know that they will be ejected for touching an official, even when they didn't mean to, they will steer clear of them and stay out of trouble. The only way to control some of these guys is with fear. Stay under control, don't getting into shoving contests with other players and don't argue with the officials and you won't get ejected.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    But once you start introducing intent and interpretation into whether or not it's okay when an official goes down you're just asking for trouble.
    I have to refer to NickSeilerOnTopOfThisOne when he quoted the ref himself:

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingNotTooSoon
    Leavy: "If it is inadvertent contact, it would not be an ejection.
    The ref himself is saying that the contact has to be evaluated in terms of inadvertent or not. That is a matter of interpretation. Pure and simple. The ref acknowledges the role of discretion. Discretion should have been better exercised.

I think the ref was guilty of jumping to conclusions based on what he saw unfolding in front of him relative to the aggression Pace was showing in shoving the Seahawk. He knew he was going to punish Pace for something, it jusn't wasn't clear in his own mind how. But it didn't take long for him to assume that if the Seawhawk shove was willful, then the ref take-down was willful also. That is a tortured interpretation. But the lead ref never did make much sense throughout the game. So him pursuing tortured logic at that time was not much out of the ordinary.

general counsel Guest

Adarian is correct. You have to consider the severity of the penalty in evaluating how you exercise discretion. If its a 15 yarder, i understand. To kick a guy out of the game you have to be 100% sure.

general counsel

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

THIS JUST IN...I hope you objective,knee jerk cry babies caught the coaches press conference a few minutes ago. Ill paraphrase but he essentially said EXACTLY what I did....'what else could they do?'...'I have NO PROBLEM with it'....'the officials CANT BE TOUCHED...they MUST protect themselves'...etc...etc. Go figure.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I wasn't so upset with the penalty, although had they seen the whole thing, both teams would have got a penalty..

But the ejection was wrong based on that it was an accident. I don't think Pace will be fined, which will prove they made a mistake in ejecting him, but what's done is done.

I tell you though, if we're going to talk about refs calls.... We may have won this game on the overturning of the "bomb" that Hasslebeck through. We had NO challenges left, and the refs were "kind" enough to peek up at the replay screen and see that they needed to correct that one.

If that one stood, I'd still be complaining.

MacDonald's call was the right one. It was damn close, but he shouldn't have took his eyes off the ball to watch someone coming in to hit him. (not that I could've done it, but still..)

moklerman is offline Registered User

Do I get partial credit? Wait, does this mean that I'm thinking and agreeing with Mike Martz? I may need some medication.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I hope you objective,knee jerk cry babies
    Can someone please remind me why this is necessary?

Fargo, I don't agree with you much, bu I agree with you on the whole Pace/referee situation. But man, can we stop with the juvenile comments?

tanus is offline Registered User

i dont think pace should have been ejected. however, i dont think pace necessarily helped himself by the way he acted after the ref incident took place.

imo, had he immediately gone over to the ref that he made contact with and helped him up and told him that he got pushed into him and he was just trying to brace himself, it could have helped the situation. also, by him shoving the seattle player right after the fact, it looked like pace was out of control and probably helped the head ref come to his conclusion.

now, im not blaming pace for this. it was a very unlucky situation that happened to him and you cant blame the refs really for ejecting him based on the way it appearted. however, i believe the outcome of the situation would have been different had pace acted differently after the fact.

either way, the situation didnt have an outcome on the game, which is a good thing.

raminsyr is offline Registered User

I think it was #57 who blasted into Pace AFTER the whistle, Fargo. Any penalty or ejection for him? The league should not fine Pace after reviewing the tape, but instead fine the Seattle player who hit Pace>

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

THIS JUST IN...I hope you objective,knee jerk cry babies caught the coaches press conference a few minutes ago.
    The ONLY knee jerk cry baby was an over excited NFL official who didn't take a breath, evaluate the situation and huddle with the rest of his crew to try and make the proper call without a rush of adrenaline as motivation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast