RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pace fires his agent--Thomas

BY JIM THOMAS
    Post-Dispatch
    09/14/2004
    Last March, Orlando Pace strongly hinted that he was contemplating changing agents.

``There will probably be some changes in the future,'' he told the Post-Dispatch on March 25.

Turns out Pace wasn't kidding. Pace has fired Houston-based agent Carl Poston as his representative in contract negotiations.

The NFL Players Association confirmed Tuesday that Pace filed termination papers on Sept. 2.

Under normal procedures, both the agent and the NFLPA receives notification when a player is firing an agent. The player must wait at least five days before hiring a new agent, to make sure the old agent has had sufficient time to be notified that he is being terminated.

``At this point (Pace) has not signed with anybody,'' an NFLPA official said Tuesday.

According to NFLPA documents, when Pace signed his one-year, $7.02 million tender on Sept. 5, under the ``agent'' heading he listed himself.

Contracts must be signed both by the player and his agent. Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt confirmed Tuesday that Pace's signature appears under both the ``player'' and ``agent'' headings on the contract.

``He did sign his contract representing himself,'' Zygmunt said. ``In all honesty, he said he was representing himself. That's all he said.''

Zygmunt figured it wasn't the place or the time to ask Pace whether he was firing Poston or hiring a new agent. Even on Tuesday, Zygmunt said, ``I haven't been advised of anything.''

The mere act of Pace signing the contract as his own agent potentially cost Poston as much as $210,000. NFL agents can charge clients as much as 3 percent on any contract.

(Some agents don't charge when a player signs a franchise tender, because in essence it's a non-negotiated contract.)

In any event, there had been much confusion on the matter recently. In an interview with local media Thursday at Rams Park, Pace seemed to give Poston a vote of confidence, saying in part, ``I always have confidence in the people that represent me. . . .''

But in hindsight, those remarks might have been misinterpreted, because he never specifically mentioned Carl Poston, or his brother Kevin Poston, in those comments.

Then on Sunday, FOX television reported that Pace was terminating his relationship with Poston. But after the game, Pace first hedged on the subject, then seemed to issue a denial that he had fired Poston.

One reason Pace may be reluctant to confirm firing Poston is that he almost certainly will be bombarded by agents seeking his services. In addition, Pace is a private person who -- believe it or not -- doesn't like controversy.

Regardless, the NFLPA document makes it official. So does the fact that Poston's name is not on the one-year contract.

This may also explain Poston's comments to the Post-Dispatch on the night of Sept. 5. Right around the time Pace was signing his tender at Rams Park, Poston said from Houston:

``I've encouraged him to come in. I've instructed him to sign the one-year tender. But I can't make the big fellow come in. He's frustrated with the team.''

Poston either wasn't yet aware that he had been fired by Pace, or didn't want it to become public knowledge. On Tuesday, Pace and Poston did not return phone messages from the Post-Dispatch.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Pace fires his agent--Thomas

I certainly like where this is going.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm very interested to see who he hires.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Why hire anyone at this point?

The guy has already made enough to live comfortably the rest of him life and he knows he has hit pay dirt. One have someone come in and take a percentage. I hasn't worked the way he wanted it for the last 3 years.

RamTime Guest

Add your own melody behind these lyrics.

Got some jingle in my pocket....
    I don't owe a single Dime....
    Got a tune that I'm hummin....
    Walkin in the spring time......
    Cause come rain or shine everything will work out fine......
    I said come rain or shine everything will work out fine......

do da do da do do...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Guido the Killer Pimp could be his agent for all I care, if he comes ready to play like he did last Sunday every year I DON'T want him in training camp. Ever.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Good for the big fella.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

adarian_too is offline Registered User

With as much as we fans think we know best for the team and players, I'd be curious to know the real reason Pace parted company. The path of least resistance would have been to let things go the way they always have gone. Why the change, Orlando?

Ahem, I'm free

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    With as much as we fans think we know best for the team and players, I'd be curious to know the real reason Pace parted company. The path of least resistance would have been to let things go the way they always have gone. Why the change, Orlando?
    I wouldn't doubt that he was pressured (a strong word, maybe just "advised") by a few teammates.

gap Guest

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Why the change, Orlando?
    Maybe the Postons wanted a slice of is franchise tender. A slice that, I am sure you will agree, they didn't deserve. All the Postons did was make it really hard for the RAMS to negotiate, then threw out an offer at the last second that the RAMS had no opportunity to repsond to.

Maybe Pace felt they spent too much time getting deals done for their other clients, and left him (and the RAMS) hanging.

It could also be that all wasn't really fine in the locker room, and his team-mates let him know (behind closed doors) that his agents were messing up the team, and possibly his career.

gap