RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pace, Holt make Pro Bowl team

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/21/2005

The Rams aren't going to the playoffs this year, but there will be some postseason football for offensive tackle Orlando Pace and wide receiver Torry Holt.

Pace and Holt both have been selected to the Pro Bowl, scheduled for Feb. 12 in Honolulu, Hawaii. For Pace, it's his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl berth. It's the fifth Pro Bowl berth for Holt, and his third in a row.

The timing of the honor isn't exactly great for Pace, who appeared unsure of who to block on a key fourth-and-1 play against Philadelphia that resulted in a 2-yard loss by Marshall Faulk.

Linebacker Dhani Jones, who Pace was supposed to block, made the tackle. In addition, the honor comes just two days after interim head coach Joe Vitt termed the offensive line "soft." But Pace has had another strong season, combining athleticism with experience to lock down the left side for the Rams.

He has played gimpy the last few weeks as well, battling hamstring, groin, and hip ailments.

Holt also has been slowed by injury, a knee problem that sidelined him for two games and slowed him in several others. Nonetheless, he's caught 88 passes for 1,128 yards and eight touchdowns. He ranks third in the NFL in receptions and is seventh in yards gained.

The Rams have had at least two players selected to the Pro Bowl every season since the 1999 Super Bowl championship campaign.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pace, Holt make Pro Bowl team

Can somebody explain to me why, in a an article that is supposed to be about two players receiving an important honor, Thomas felt the need to devote two paragraphs to one missed block in what was essentially a meaningless game?

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Thing that really sucks about this. That neither player will be going. Both our hurt and doubt they will want to extend their season any longer. So we will have no one there. Why watch?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think pace will play. he will have a full month to heal in between the time our season ends and the probowl rolls around. who knows about holt. also, i bet pickett winds up in attendance somehow, maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

They both have deserve to go along with a few others , I know our season has been less than what we wanted but that does not mean we dont have players that dont deserve to go like pickett it takes more than one man to stop the run ...

Large_Ant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Can somebody explain to me why, in a an article that is supposed to be about two players receiving an important honor, Thomas felt the need to devote two paragraphs to one missed block in what was essentially a meaningless game?
    It's the media. What do you expect them to do? Be positive? God forbid...

(sarcasm)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Another interesting tidbit is that, with 185,095 votes, Rams tackle Orlando Pace was the leading fan vote-getter at the tackle position in the entire league. Not Walter Jones. Not Jonathan Ogden. Not Willie Roaf.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think pace scored big points when he cleaned freeneys clock on monday night football against the colts.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Another interesting tidbit is that, with 185,095 votes, Rams tackle Orlando Pace was the leading fan vote-getter at the tackle position in the entire league. Not Walter Jones. Not Jonathan Ogden. Not Willie Roaf.
    Yet another reason, I'd hate to be a lineman with a Pro Bowl incentive tied to my contract. No matter how great a season you have, if they don't recognize your name, you ain't going.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Pace is going, he's our home skillet and all, but there's no way he's the best OT in the game, not this season anyway.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Ogden shouldn't be in the Pro Bowl at all. The NFL screwed up and told Tarik Glenn of Indy that he had made the Pro Bowl, then they had to call the Colts back and say sorry we miscounted the votes and Ogden is in. That's horrible.

I had said a while back during the Pace Jones discussions that Ogden has lost a few steps and it really shows. Ogden just got in on his name alone because his play doesn't justify him being a pro bowler.

I think the NFL should eliminate the fan votes, because as much as I hate to say it, Jones has played better than Pace this season, so the fan votes don't mean much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You also have to consider the number of fans who vote for linemen is significantly lower than those who vote for skill position players. You'd have to think that because of that, the votes of coaches and fellow players plays more of a role in selecting people for those positions.

I guess my point is that whereas Michael Vick probably gets a lot of fan votes that play a large role in his being a Pro Bowler, I would suspect non-skill position guys like Pace go in based in large part on the opinions of their peers and the league coaches, at least moreso than a guy like Vick.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rawkhrdr Guest

Congrats on your pro-bowlers...they most definitely deserve it. Even though I absolutely hate Holt (yet I still had him on one of my fantasy teams) he is one of the best Wr's around and Pace is definitely one of the top 5 OL'men in the league....behind W. Jones and S. Hutchinson obviously.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    Even though I absolutely hate Holt
    I'm not sure how anyone can hate Holt. He's quiet, professional, and plays the game the way it should be played.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

shortman1984 Guest

what makes me mad is how does Vick always make the probowl. Has anyone seen his numbers this year..... They havent been too good.. and yes they should give our team a little more love. i mean Bulger, even though he has been hurt most of the year, has done better than Vick this year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shortman1984
    what makes me mad is how does Vick always make the probowl. Has anyone seen his numbers this year..... They havent been too good.. and yes they should give our team a little more love. i mean Bulger, even though he has been hurt most of the year, has done better than Vick this year.
    Hopefully, Vick is at least donating his frequent flyer mileage to charity for all these free flights to Hawaii. Here's a link to a thread on the Vick Pro-Bowl selection.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod