Arrow Pace looks forward to going against Freeney

Pace looks forward to going against Freeney

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Pro Bowl veteran Orlando Pace of the St. Louis Rams has been going to school getting ready for the challenge he will face this week in going against Indianapolis' defensive end Dwight Freeney.
    "You study a guy, you get a feel for the guy," said Pace, who turns 30 next month. "I may study him on film a little more because I've never actually played him."
    The two titans have met just once - in the Pro Bowl in February. However, Pace, a nine-year veteran, discounted that matchup because it came in the Pro Bowl, where no one goes full tilt.
    "That's kind of hard to gauge because the game is so light and you can't really tell," Pace said.
    Nevertheless, Pace knows he will have his hands full Monday night when the Rams play in the R.C. Dome at Indianapolis. The left tackle is the premier position on the offensive line. That is the blind side of most quarterbacks, and the left tackle must be able to block and hold off the rush.
    The 6-foot-1, 268-pound Freeney, who was on the cover of a recent Sports Illustrated, knows how to get to the passer. He led the NFL with 16 sacks in 2004, becoming the Colts' first NFL sack leader. In his first three seasons in the league, Freeney has 40 sacks, which ranks him behind Reggie White (53) and Derrick Thomas (43.5) for the most sacks in that time span.
    This season, Freeney has five sacks, including three against the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 25.
    The 6-7, 325-pound Pace realizes Freeney presents a formidable challenge.
    "He's a smaller guy, but he's a speed guy," Pace said. "He's more up the field. He has a variety of moves. You just have to get on him quickly, get your hands on him and shut him down."
    Despite that, Pace said he is looking forward to challenge of facing Freeney.
    "Yeah, I do. He's, if not the best, one of the best in the league," Pace said. "That's a challenge. Just go out there and do what you do and try to keep him from making plays."
    Pace gets to go against some top-notch ends in practice, said offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild, who will be calling the plays with coach Mike Martz out on a medical leave.
    "We have, in our own guys with Leonard (Little) and (Anthony) Hargrove, we have some guys that have some speed and can give him some pretty good looks over there, and he faces that every day," Fairchild said. "That's taking nothing away from Freeney. He's a very good player and somebody you have to pay attention to."
    NOTES: The Rams added S Jerome Carter (hip) to the injury list Saturday. ... CB Travis Fisher, who missed practice because of illness Friday, was back Saturday and working out. ... TE Brandon Manumaleuna (knee) is expected to play Monday. That move means Blaine Saipaia lasted one week at tight end. Saipaia is back on the offensive line and No. 60 after wearing No. 49 last week.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Pace looks forward to going against Freeney

Hopefully jerome carter is ok.
    RamsFan16

SwingOnDeez is offline Registered User

Re: Pace looks forward to going against Freeney

I hate to say it, but after what Freeney did to Ogden in 2 straight games, Pace is in for the beating of his career. Big guys are not the answer to Freeney.

He made Jonathon Ogden look like a drunken freshmen girl on the first night of college.

I've already had 2 sigs removed by MODS here. I guess we'll see if this one is too offensive as well.