By Nick Wagoner
Senior Writer

Monday Update

Head Coach Scott Linehan on Pace Injury

"It’s an odd injury. He didn’t do anything other than reach out and put his hands on the guy and he tore the muscle, which is kind of like what happens with an Achilles; it’s kind of raveled up in his elbow. It looks like something they’ll have to do surgery on with probably about six month recovery before you’re ready to get back to full use of that arm.

Read on for Sunday's Notebook

SEATTLE – The Rams’ gut wrenching loss to the Seahawks on Sunday at Qwest field might not even have been the worst loss the team suffered on a difficult day in the Pacific Northwest.

The St. Louis offense had another large loss, a 6-7, 325-pound loss in the form of all everything left tackle Orlando Pace, who suffered a torn left triceps in the second quarter.

“He will be out for the year,” coach Scott Linehan said.

With 4:34 to go in the first half, quarterback Marc Bulger swung a pass to the left to running back Steven Jackson for a 7-yard gain.

Pace, who was pass blocking against Grant Wistrom on the play awkwardly engaged Wistrom and came running off the field holding his left arm. The first hope of Pace was that it was some sort of dislocation that might be fixable.

But as Pace went to the locker room to be looked at, it kicked in that the news was probably going to be worse than he first thought.

“I didn’t know for sure,” Pace said. “I kind of knew, but I thought it was just dislocated or something like that.”

Utility lineman Adam Goldberg entered the game in Pace’s place and took over at left tackle. When Pace suffered a concussion earlier this season against San Francisco, Goldberg entered the game with Todd Steussie sliding over to left tackle.

That was the second game of the year, though, and Steussie wasn’t settled in at left guard yet. Now that Steussie is comfortable there, the Rams didn’t want to have to shake up multiple positions.

For the most part, Goldberg acquitted himself well. He played left tackle the majority of the time in the preseason with Minnesota and felt comfortable there Sunday. In practice, Goldberg does his best to take repetitions at every position on the line.

“When your all pro left tackle gets knocked out, it’s always a bad situation for the team,” Goldberg said. “I do my best so we don’t skip a beat and it’s an unfortunate part of the game you have to roll with. That’s my job. It’s a weird position because you are waiting to do your thing but you never want what has to happen in order for you to do that to happen.”

It’s uncertain if Goldberg will remain at tackle or if the Rams will shake up the line again to get the best possible combination. Steussie spent most of his career at tackle and could move back outside.

The loss of Pace is the second serious loss to the offensive line this year after center Andy McCollum was lost for the year with a knee injury in the season opener against Denver. Richie Incognito moved from left guard to center at the time and Steussie moved into the lineup.

This loss could hurt even more, though, as Pace is a seven-time Pro Bowler and franchise player. Pace wasn’t sure if surgery would be required for the injury but said he expected it to be necessary.

Pace left a slim chance that he wouldn’t be out for the year, but the realization that he won’t return in 2006 was starting to set in as he trudged toward the team bus.

“I have been playing this game for a long time and we don’t now that yet, but that’s the way it is looking,” Pace said. “If that’s the case, I have to get in there and try to help some of the young guys out and help us get some wins.”

FISHER INJURES FOREARM: Cornerback Travis Fisher has been a magnet for nagging injuries in the past, but he suffered a serious break in his right forearm last year. Fisher suffered a similar injury during Sunday’s game

Attempting to tackle fullback Mack Strong, Fisher wrapped up and suddenly felt a pain similar to the one he had when he broke the forearm. While the diagnosis is unclear and it was originally deemed a bruise, Fisher had a large wrap on the arm after the game and said it felt like it might be a break.

Fisher said there was one major difference between the injuries, though.

“Yes, it’s the same forearm I hurt before and in the same area,” Fisher said. “It is the same. I am moving my fingers and that’s different than what I had last year. But the pain is still there.”

Fisher will have the arm looked at closer Monday before a determination on his status is made. Rookie Tye Hill replaced Fisher in the lineup.

RAM BITS: With seven catches for 66 yards against the Seahawks, receiver Isaac Bruce continued his climb up the charts of the NFL record books by passing Irving Fryar for ninth on the all-time reception list. Bruce now has 855 career receptions…Bulger entered the game needing 216 yards to pass Kurt Warner for fourth on the team’s all time yardage list. He finished with 215, tying Warner with 14,447 yards passing…Linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski led the Rams out of the tunnel clearly fired up by the opportunity to play his old team at his old stadium…J.R. Reed returned to his role as kick returner with 63 yards on three attempts.