Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Pace signs tender, will play vs. arizona

Big deal, so he signed the tender that he should have signed months ago. This is getting old (and expensive). I actually wouldn't mind the Rams letting him go and getting someone else. Pace is a solid tackle, but his (and his agent's) behavior are hurting the team.

DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I think its rather funny that Poston had to encourage Pace to report and instruct him to report. What a joke. I, like most everyone else; am getting tired of this crap with Pace. I say if a long term deal cannot be reached before the draft next season, trade him and let someone else have the headache that he creates every preseason.
    Sprtsmac :football:

general counsel Guest

Personally, i would rather have a headache in preseason and an all pro at left tackle during the regular season than two otherwise overpriced good guys who report on time and then dont perform as well during the regular season. I also believe that a lot of the "headache" is media created. Pace knows the offense, knows the blocking schemes, and showed a comitment to the team by showing up in shape.

general counsel

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Who cares if half the reason he pulls this stunt is to skip practice? I don't. He's one of the best lineman in the league, and we get him every year for the average of the top 5 (or 10?) players at his position. We're saving money, he stays healthy. The only downside is that we could sell away the future by backloading him a contract that would eventually cause us to release him and eat a lot of his salary (see Kurt Warner).

Probably best that we go through this every year.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Is this a matter that linemen don't deserve this kind of money in comparison to QBs or others? Or is it that this lineman shouldn't get this kind of money for his antics? Or shouldn't athletes get this kind of money for playing a sport?
    It's a couple of things....

It's an overall disgust over the discrepancy in money that certain players can demand over other team members. It amazes me how certain players can make 10-20 times what another player makes on the same team.

It's confusion over why lineman can be paid this much. Lineman can't do anything without a RB, QB, or WRs. It's a very rare moment when one of these guys actually advances the ball.

It's frustration over players getting paid that don't perform. These guys have contracts signed in advance and they will get paid not matter how they perform, or even if they get injured and can't play.

The salaries and contracts for athletes have become ridiculous. We all need to work, but these guys are usually doing something they love and getting paid enormous amounts. This just doesn't happen in most industries.

I would be pissed if someone in my company was making 10 times my salary and was not putting forth 100% effort. I would be angry with Pace if I was a Ram player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

It's confusion over why lineman can be paid this much. Lineman can't do anything without a RB, QB, or WRs. It's a very rare moment when one of these guys actually advances the ball.
    Actually it's the opposite.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The problem is that we can't trade Pace unless he's under contract, right? We can't just slap the franchise tag on him and then trade him unless he signs the tender. So if next spring comes around and we can't get a long term deal worked out with Pace, we won't be able to trade him unless we franchise him and he signs it. At least that's how I think it works.

So for everyone saying that we should get rid of him, I'm not convinced that's a realistic possibility. If we can't work out a long-term deal with Pace, we'll slap the tag on him. Would he sign the tag early so he could be traded and then take part on the new team's offseason program? I thought the whole point of his holdout was to avoid camp and the preseason. I don't know, it doesn't seem to add up to me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Nick, here is my understanding of how it works. If we dont agree to a deal by march 15th long term, we will slap the tag on him again. If we dont, he is an unrestricted free agent and if and when he leaves, we will get no compensation from the team that signs him, only a compensatory pick from the league, probably a #3. If we tag him, another team can sign him and give us two #1's, something unheard of in todays nfl. Thus, even though it may technically not be the rule, as a practical matter, to get a trade like that to work, the new team would have to agree to a deal with pace in advance, which leads to the trade for something less than two #1's. otherwise, no way is a team going to give up an arm and a leg for him and then have to start dealing with the postons.

If this is all about missing camp, you are correct nick, this doesnt solve his problem. However, if its all about money, it does solve his problem, since presumably any team willing to trade for him is going to pony up a signing bonus of at least $20, which i figure is the minimum it will take to get it done, barring an injury or a material drop off in performance by pace, a scenario which i hope does not occur.

The real question is this. Will pace take 18 million give or take to sign long term with the rams, ie will he take a nickel less than market value. Like it or not, given what gallery, winslow, portis and bailey got, pace has a market value of at least 20 million guaranteed. we may think its crazy, but i guarantee that is what the market will dictate. Thus, while i appreciate orlando doesnt want to be living on food stamps, does he want to be a ram or not. The difference in after tax dollars we are talking about is a joke. If the rams wont get to at least 17-18 million, which i believe that they will, then i dont see any chance that this will get done.

Can any of us imagine losing orlando pace over a $2 million spread over the next 6 years! I know that is the law of incrementalization, but to me, in the era of the cap, the true, true superstar core players need to get paid and he is one of them, pain in the ass or not.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Nick, here is my understanding of how it works. If we dont agree to a deal by march 15th long term, we will slap the tag on him again. If we dont, he is an unrestricted free agent and if and when he leaves, we will get no compensation from the team that signs him, only a compensatory pick from the league, probably a #3. If we tag him, another team can sign him and give us two #1's, something unheard of in todays nfl. Thus, even though it may technically not be the rule, as a practical matter, to get a trade like that to work, the new team would have to agree to a deal with pace in advance, which leads to the trade for something less than two #1's. otherwise, no way is a team going to give up an arm and a leg for him and then have to start dealing with the postons.
    See, if we tag him and want to work out a trade with another team, I thought he had to have signed our tender before we could trade him, because until he signs the tender, he's not under contract -- just tagged instead. But perhaps I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    If the rams wont get to at least 17-18 million, which i believe that they will, then i dont see any chance that this will get done.
    Now's the time to do it. The market price is only going to continue to inflate. Personally, I think the Rams are just going to have to bite the bullet and go a couple million over their preferred price to get this done. It's only going to get more expensive, and if they really want to sign Pace, they should pony up the dough. Otherwise, if they don't want to pay that money, put all your efforts into trading him and getting maximum value.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12